Does Anyone Have To Sedate Their Kitty For Brushing?

mister baggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a Maine coon/Persian mix that was super matted when he came home. His coat is recovering and growing into his adult coat nicely. He has these cute little curls on his arms, chest, belly and pants that tend to mat really bad. He also fights, bites, and claws the brush and comb. He has caused his mouth to bleed from biting the brush. Is there something I can give him, like Dramamine, that will just chill him out enough to get his winter coat out? The weather is warming up and his coat is coming out in tufts but also tangles. This is my first longhair cat, though I cared for my mom's Persian cross. This is also my first cat that hates being brushed.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a precious angel! My cats love getting brushed, but Maine Coons have such thick fur, it is not the same situation. Perhaps the mats hurt him or his skin may be very sensitive? I would not give up. Just try different combs/brushes. I think in time he will come to enjoy it. I have never had a cat that didn't.

When was he rescued? Maybe he is still getting aclimated and is nervous?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mister baggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was about 3 months when rescued. We got him at 9 months and he's a year now. He isn't matted right now because I brush and comb him for a few seconds every chance I get. I have a silk brush that I used to introduce my last 2 feral rescues to brushing, but he hates even that. I will keep trying, but calming treats, cbd oil, and rescue remedy don't seem to calm him in the slightest.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My long-haired cat won't let me brush her either. I can sometimes get in a few strokes with the grooming glove.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Are you using both hands when you're brushing? In other words, hold the skin in place with your free hand so that as the brush is going through the hair it isn't pulling the skin.
This however is for when the hair isn't all that matted. It sounds to me as though you need to cut the mats out, I use blunt end scissors. Good luck!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty comes running when I tell her it's "brushy time." I don't try to do it when she's in a playful mood, always when she's sleepy. I start with her head first. By the time I've done her head and chin, she's purring. It's easier then to do down her back and sides. She's a shorthair, so thankfully I don't have to do her tail and paws, and I wouldn't dream of going near her tummy, lol.