Does anyone have experiences with Pet Gear strollers?

lazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I am thinking about getting our two Maine Coon kittens a cat stroller. They love being outside - they have a small enclosed porch to run free in when supervised and they enjoy roaming around our small shared yard on harnesses. I live near a large scenic cemetery (a world heritage site...trust me it's not as weird as it sounds, this cemetery is amazing, full of fields and forest, and it is acceptable to walk your dog, jog, bike, picnic, etc here). I would love to take our cats out there to let them roam in new surroundings and sniff new things (on harnesses, of course). Unfortunately I can't really "lead" them anywhere - I put them on harnesses with retractable leashes and walk behind them as they roam around - so to get to the cemetery I would have to walk 10-15 minutes with them first. Hence the stroller.

So I have been looking for a good stroller for two growing Maine Coons and have been thinking about the Pet Gear "NV" Pet Stroller (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put amazon links here to show the one I'm thinking of?). It is designed for dogs but from what I've read it seems some people use it with cats as well. Pet Gear has quite a few strollers and I am wondering if anyone has any experiences with them? This is meant to be the high end one with a weather cover, low bounce, etc (I want to get something that will last for years and will be comfortable and as low stress for them as possible). Are they sturdy, do your cats like them, will it last? Do they tend to be easily manoeuvrable (for example if I want to put them on public transport)? Or do you have another recommendation for the perfect stroller for cats?

Looking forward to any feedback/opinions about strollers!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone recently mentioned taking her cat out in a stroller but that wasn't the point of the post.  I don't know what kind of a stroller she has but I will send her a PM and give her the linnk to this thread and maybe she can tell you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Someone recently mentioned taking her cat out in a stroller but that wasn't the point of the post.  I don't know what kind of a stroller she has but I will send her a PM and give her the linnk to this thread and maybe she can tell you.
Thank you! I actually ended up ordering the stroller after reading seemingly every single review on the product page. If Amazon isn't lying it should come tomorrow. I will report back with first impressions (also reports of any claw marks obtained from trying to put two cats in a stroller for the first time).

Last edited:

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad you ordered the stroller.  We went with a cheap one just to see how our cats did in it and they LOVE it.  If I pull the stroller out, they both run and jump in and are ready to go.  And same as you, we walk our cats on harnesses too, and use the stroller to go to the park and back, or if I just don't feel like dealing with Tati running amok she is equally happy to just stay in the stroller.  If I have her leash in one hand the stroller in the other, she jumps in the stroller.  She is a handfull!  The only thing I don't like is Snowy is a calm and collected kitty on walks and she likes to kick back and sniff and look and just have a good time.  Tati is a wild child and she is all over that stroller if something catches her eye, she will jump over to Snowy's side to see whats going on.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Love the pictures and kittys look like they are loving the stroller.  Awesome!  Snowy loves going for rides in anything, a shoe box, the carrier, a shipping crate, the stroller... you name it, Snowy-owy wants to go e-oey.  She likes riding in the car too.  Many happy explorations to your and your parnter and your fur babies!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Muffin has her own Pet Gear stroller and she just loves it. We can't walk outside at our house because of the traffic. So I take Muffin over to my sister's neighborhood and we walk over there. I try to take her 2-3 nights a week. In between her walks, Muffin (and sometimes the other kids) will nap in her stroller. She's a big fan of strollers.

Keep an eye on the zipper at the screened window right in front. It will come apart, if you're not careful and the cat can get out if it wants to bad enough. We've not had any problems; Muffin is just tickled to go for walks and she loves the attention she gets from my sister's neighbors and others in the neighborhood. We'll be out walking and people will stop and tell Muffin what a pretty girl she is and that she behaves so well in her stroller. She loves it. And if we don't visit for a while, somebody will say something to my sister that they haven't seen us lately.

Our (excuse me, Muffin's) stroller seems sturdy enough that it would fit well in public transportation. We've not had any problems with the wheels or the frame. Just keep an eye on that zipper and you should be fine. 

I'm sure your cats will enjoy their stroller!

I don't have any recent pictures of Muffin on her walks. But here she is getting ready for a good afternoon nap.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your experience! The stroller has arrived today - we tried it out, first in the apartment and then with a 15 minute walk in the shared yard outside of our house. I didn't want to be out for too long and overwhelm them. The cats seemed to enjoy it! The younger one, Kaytu, didn't even want to leave the stroller when we got back to our enclosed porch, she just sat there as if waiting to be rolled around again. So far so good! Going to try going a little out of their familiar space tomorrow. Here are some pictures (including my partner in "walk of shame" mode):

The stroller looks fab, I want one! Your kitty seems to approve ;) Love the photos especially 'the walk of shame' hilarious! I have a pet stroller but it was just a cheap one from eBay, it has made vet trips using the bus really easy. I don't think pet strollers are as common in the UK as they are in America - so I get lots of attention lol, I'm over 'the shame' now though :lol3: