Does anyone feed whole prey diet?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like, I wouldn't have to worry quite so much about whether Ritz is getting the correct ratio of meat/bone/liver/other organ [kidney in Ritz' case].  I think I was "loosy goosy" with the ratios when I started feeding Ritz frankenprey; I can't make up my own ratios.  Ritz suffered through a four-day episode of runny diarrehea, then four days of not pooping at all, and then an enema (at least a week after starting frankenprey).  Not to mention a shot of Metacam.

But first things first:  I have to determine if Ritz will recognize a pinkie or small mouse as food.  Then figure out how many ounces of mice/quail to feed her which I don't think will be difficult to calculate.  Saying NO, you've had enough food already, that's difficult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like, I wouldn't have to worry quite so much about whether Ritz is getting the correct ratio of meat/bone/liver/other organ [kidney in Ritz' case].  I think I was "loosy goosy" with the ratios when I started feeding Ritz frankenprey; I can't make up my own ratios.  Ritz suffered through a four-day episode of runny diarrehea, then four days of not pooping at all, and then an enema (at least a week after starting frankenprey).  Not to mention a shot of Metacam.

But first things first:  I have to determine if Ritz will recognize a pinkie or small mouse as food.  Then figure out how many ounces of mice/quail to feed her which I don't think will be difficult to calculate.  Saying NO, you've had enough food already, that's difficult.
Do you intend to feed live prey, like I am? Or fresh frozen/pre-killed prey?

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope/plan to feed only the occasional fresh frozen/pre-killed prey.  Today, commercial raw; tomorrow, frankenprey; today after tomorrow, occasional fresh frozen/pre-killed prey (assuming Ritz recognizes it as food and eats it).

soysos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingPostal

Who's to say reptiles and roaches don't feel pain or fear? And if they didn't, why does that make it any more ok to feed your cats crickets than to feed mine mice? They are still a living creature. I have reptiles and I assure you, they get frightened and stressed. I also do gas many of my rodents, did some tonight and doing co2 correctly, my cat could easily eat a couple mice in the time it takes them to die from gassing. She doesn't play with them however and I wouldn't allow her live mice if she did. I only have one ferret who kills mice, because the rest are horrible at all but she is an impressively fast killer biting the spine.
I agree with you one hundred percent
. I simply think people think of the poor cute mouse but not the icky lizard. In my opinion it all comes down to the "cuteness" factor.

I don't want to start a heated debate here. I am as much a small animal guy as a cat guy, but when puting reptiles first some picky eaters, and would rather starve to death than eat something already dead. some won't eat mice at all but will hapily take a gerble witch can only be purchased live. I'm not speaking  from expirience on this one, but I can understand how cats would be more  willing to except a live animal as food.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats have been eating mostly whole prey for about 5 years now. I am lucky to have a good supply of prey available at reasonable prices. I buy in bulk from a company that supplies zoos and falconers.
I feed mainly quails (ex-layer hens), pigeons (ex-racing pigeons), day old chicks ("byproduct" of egg-production) and mice. In addition to the whole prey I feed cheap venison cuttings and a commercially made raw diet made of organic beef and chicken.

My other pets are two hedgehogs and I do feed them live insects because they won't eat dead insects. Whenever the hedgehogs' live food escapes my cats get to eat live prey

It seems unnecessarily cruel to feed live rodents or birds to my cats because they will eat them just fine when they're dead.

The reasons why I think a whole prey diet will never really catch on;

- most people don't like feeding recognizable animals to their cats because they find it too confronting to face the reality that cat food and meat in general once was an actual living animal.

- some cats drag their food around and make a mess.

maeve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My domestic shorthair shelter cat and my f5c savannah (think: not much serval, regular little kitty) are both fed whole prey.

This thread made me smile.  I have to reply to a couple things.

I had little to no problem transitioning my cats - my domestic ate raw before he went to whole prey.  It wasn't a stretch.  My Savannah came here knowing raw, and admired her new big bro so much she'd eat anything he would.  Maybe I'm just lucky, or it was the timing.  I'm hearing all sort of stories of how hard it is, even with cats where I wouldn't expect an issue - so I guess that's a concern

I didn't buy 100 mice at first - just bought a few pinkies.  Slowly introduced to reasonably hungry cat.  I only really had to "cut up" in the beginning, just so he would eat it instead of playing with it.  Today, nothing needs to be cut up.  they eat the whole thing, head to tail (head first) and don't leave a bit.

I feed different sizes and ages of rats, mice, quail, chicks.  This provides good variety to ensure a better nutritional balance.  

Mine don't even care if they're still frozen.  Which is how I buy them... from dealers who specialize in providing carnivore diets (snakes, hawks, etc - even cats) to both the public and to zoos.  layne labs & rodent pro each has different stock and different shipping costs.  Once you're sure your cat is fully transitioned, it's worth it to buy from them and fill the freezer up :)  Before that, it's a crapshoot, it sounds like.

The little baggies at petco in the freezer are REALLY expensive - and were pretty well freezer burned to bits when I tried that route.  Can't recommend it - especially if you're trying to do the transition.  They need to taste prey they LIKE before they will eat mousesicles like mine will ;)

The dealers are required (and should advertise such) to euthanize safely by approved means.  Both of these use co2.  This won't hurt your cats later

Also, I had a pet rat as a kid.  I loved my rat.  I love so many species of animals.  I've also had pet snakes who ate small prey - and other interesting pets with different dietary needs.  So I maybe had an edge on the ick factor and the "poor little mouse" part.  Long ago I learned not to befriend the snake chow.  That said, I was a little more saddened by their little dead bodies in the beginning... But like my momma, who grew up on a farm and was used to seeing something she'd been feeding and raising end up on the dinner table, I sucked it up and got used to the whole cycle of life thing.  Which is good, because this is really what cats are designed to eat, eh.  

=Maeve=  

ambermay

I hold your heart close to my chest.
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Minka, why do an owner like us, here on TCS, like me, who will do anythyng for my babies, will not feed this diet? What is your take on it. You have many like me here. I sold pretty much all I had to pay for my Bugsys heathy care (and gracie's), when I was unemployed.. Their wet food today for my trip was $180 plus the dry, another 100... My food was about $30. Their meds was about another 100... Mine, around $80. You see the pattern here? Their food is served and spoon-fed at that, before I have anything to eat. When I didn't health insurance, they had.
Clearly their care and wellbeing comes before mine.
My house is completely modified for them-shelves on the living room, sills, trees, baby gates... Feliway on the walls... This is clearly a cat's house, and I am their loving care taker, rent payer, food provider.
So, in the situation where clearly they ARE my life an I will do EVERYTHING for them, what is your theory for me to no be feeding a whole prey diet?

I would like to quote Carolina here because our lifestyle (myself and my husband) revolves around our five cats, not so much with toys, but with feeding and attention.

I'd say that our food cost (for humans) is about 6th of a cost of feeding our cats.

We have two dogs also - very happy dogs too whom we love just the same, but they cost us a lot less than cats.

But yes, statistically around the world owners spend more money on dogs then on cats.

Just like Carolina's house - our house and yard as well practically re-designed for the needs and fun for our cats.  Even though our cats are not inside-only (unfortunately it's not possible in where we live), but what we do is the surest way to keep them inside the property most of the time.

Prey?  Well, my cats are on mainly raw diet, but if the prey was available where we live for sale - we'd definitely buy it.  All my cats are of feral origin and have no specific breed.

So, some of my cats love to hunt and eat their own prey.  And we encourage them.  They bring their prey into the house, play with it and eat it in-front of our eyes.  Sadly - not often enough to my liking they eat fresh prey.

Of course, cats are different too.  One of my cats will not touch prey, nor will she kill anything alive.  Midnight would play with insects and lizzards but let them go without harming them.  Amazing, isn't it?

May, Johnie and Janie are real mousers, and May also is good in catching an occasional bird.  Ambie would hunt and if possible - kill, but I never saw her eating her prey.  She'd give it to others who would eat it.  But that's life.  It's cats' life.

We too had a hamster when I was a child, and we had a cat who was really skilled in killing and eating all sorts of prey, but she would not touch that pet of ours, even when the hamster would be so brave as to go to that cat and crawl all over her.  She would just put on a face and tolerate it.

Cats are smart.  They know who are family and don't harm them mostly.  But even if their instinct takes over - what can you do?  For us, cat lovers they are our choice for a companion, and don't we all do the best we can for them?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ambermay

Prey?  Well, my cats are on mainly raw diet, but if the prey was available where we live for sale - we'd definitely buy it.  All my cats are of feral origin and have no specific breed.

So, some of my cats love to hunt and eat their own prey.  And we encourage them.  They bring their prey into the house, play with it and eat it in-front of our eyes.  Sadly - not often enough to my liking they eat fresh prey.
Whole prey might actually be more available than you think - reptile stores, although seldom mentioned, can be a great source of prey items, very often at fairly decent prices. Do a google search and see if any are within an acceptable driving distance. If you find one that's a bit far away, give them a call and ask if you can do a bulk purchase.

Cats eating wild animals are at risk for parasites and intestinal worms. If you can't bring your cats inside, you won't be able to protect them from these animals, but you should keep an extra eye on their health and pooping habits so you can bring them in to a vet at the earliest indication of a problem.

AC

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
Whole prey might actually be more available than you think - reptile stores, although seldom mentioned, can be a great source of prey items, very often at fairly decent prices. Do a google search and see if any are within an acceptable driving distance. If you find one that's a bit far away, give them a call and ask if you can do a bulk purchase.

Cats eating wild animals are at risk for parasites and intestinal worms. If you can't bring your cats inside, you won't be able to protect them from these animals, but you should keep an extra eye on their health and pooping habits so you can bring them in to a vet at the earliest indication of a problem.

AC
Thanks AC!

Though we have only one pet shop in whole town where hardly anything of use is sold.

Reptile shops do not exist here.  Google search brings only few results and links don't give anything much and almost nothing of value for cats.  Very few businesses here have their web sites.

I asked around in some places for whole prey - they just laughed at me.  There of course crocodile farms, but they don't feed small prey.  They feed dead cows and such.  I've been to some farms like that.

I had a thought to buy some live chicks and let them kill and eat, but just never had a heart to go ahead with it, and my husband is so against it.

I do agree about safety of indoors and suffer the outcome of impossibility to keep my kitties inside only.

I de-worm them on regular bases though, so worms were never an issue for us.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ambermay

Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

AC
Thanks AC!

Though we have only one pet shop in whole town where hardly anything of use is sold.

Reptile shops do not exist here.  Google search brings only few results and links don't give anything much and almost nothing of value for cats.  Very few businesses here have their web sites.

I asked around in some places for whole prey - they just laughed at me.  There of course crocodile farms, but they don't feed small prey.  They feed dead cows and such.  I've been to some farms like that.

I had a thought to buy some live chicks and let them kill and eat, but just never had a heart to go ahead with it, and my husband is so against it.

I do agree about safety of indoors and suffer the outcome of impossibility to keep my kitties inside only.

I de-worm them on regular bases though, so worms were never an issue for us.
Good golly, Ambermay - that one's on me!!! I had no idea you lived in Africa and it didn't occur to me to check. Just ignore everything I wrote.

From the sounds of it - you guys are awesome pet parents! And, yeah, raising and killing small animals can take a heck of an emotional toll. A very long time ago, I raised rats to feed snakes... everything was fine until one day, it wasn't. I simply couldn't kill them anymore.  *shudder*

We all do the best we can under our individual circumstances!

AC

ambermay

Adult Cat
Purraise
Good golly, Ambermay - that one's on me!!! I had no idea you lived in Africa and it didn't occur to me to check. Just ignore everything I wrote.

From the sounds of it - you guys are awesome pet parents! And, yeah, raising and killing small animals can take a heck of an emotional toll. A very long time ago, I raised rats to feed snakes... everything was fine until one day, it wasn't. I simply couldn't kill them anymore.  *shudder*

We all do the best we can under our individual circumstances!

AC
Thank you AC for understanding.

What you said was also part of my life a while ago in a way.

I worked on farms some many years ago, and as you know farms raise and kill animals for human consumption.

So, time came when I could not work there anymore (emotional issues as well).

I even thought I' never be around any animal for the rest of my life, but little did I know...

I'm back on a hot plate - this time with my fur-children - worry, worry and endless worry about them.

But it is so worth it - they are endless joy as well.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I so admire you for going above and beyond.

Are there food stores that cater to people from developed countries such as United Kingdom.  Their food standards might be higher, and perhaps you could shop there.  Same with high-end hotels.  Hotels must be careful of where they buy meat, or risk being sued for food poisoning.

I'm just trying to think waaayyyy out the box.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My domestic shorthair shelter cat and my f5c savannah (think: not much serval, regular little kitty) are both fed whole prey.

An F5C, should theoretically, have three to five percent Serval blood. While, that may not be much in percentage, it can be a lot in temperament and behavior.

This thread made me smile.  I have to reply to a couple things.

Glad to make you smile
. Thank you, for replying.

I had little to no problem transitioning my cats - my domestic ate raw before he went to whole prey.  It wasn't a stretch.  My Savannah came here knowing raw, and admired her new big bro so much she'd eat anything he would.  Maybe I'm just lucky, or it was the timing.  I'm hearing all sort of stories of how hard it is, even with cats where I wouldn't expect an issue - so I guess that's a concern

I didn't buy 100 mice at first - just bought a few pinkies.  Slowly introduced to reasonably hungry cat.  I only really had to "cut up" in the beginning, just so he would eat it instead of playing with it.  Today, nothing needs to be cut up.  they eat the whole thing, head to tail (head first) and don't leave a bit.

That is how my F3 Savannah is, he eats the mouse whole. After playing with it and making a mess in my bathroom

I feed different sizes and ages of rats, mice, quail, chicks.  This provides good variety to ensure a better nutritional balance.  

Mine don't even care if they're still frozen.  Which is how I buy them... from dealers who specialize in providing carnivore diets (snakes, hawks, etc - even cats) to both the public and to zoos.  layne labs & rodent pro each has different stock and different shipping costs.  Once you're sure your cat is fully transitioned, it's worth it to buy from them and fill the freezer up :)  Before that, it's a crapshoot, it sounds like.

The little baggies at petco in the freezer are REALLY expensive - and were pretty well freezer burned to bits when I tried that route.  Can't recommend it - especially if you're trying to do the transition.  They need to taste prey they LIKE before they will eat mousesicles like mine will ;)

The dealers are required (and should advertise such) to euthanize safely by approved means.  Both of these use co2.  This won't hurt your cats later

Also, I had a pet rat as a kid.  I loved my rat.  I love so many species of animals.  I've also had pet snakes who ate small prey - and other interesting pets with different dietary needs.  So I maybe had an edge on the ick factor and the "poor little mouse" part.  Long ago I learned not to befriend the snake chow.  That said, I was a little more saddened by their little dead bodies in the beginning... But like my momma, who grew up on a farm and was used to seeing something she'd been feeding and raising end up on the dinner table, I sucked it up and got used to the whole cycle of life thing.  Which is good, because this is really what cats are designed to eat, eh.  

=Maeve=  
I have one other question for you, have you ever tried feeding your F5C Savannah, any type of live food? Lastly, please note, my responses are in red type.

Last edited:

cel2133

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started my cats on a raw diet and all four of them are at different stages. The youngest was weaned directly onto raw food and was doing great. When I fed him raw quail he immediately took to it. Then I tried some small rats at he played with the first one but refused to eat it. Then i cut the second one in half and he ate the innards and left me with a rat shell of sorts. He eats sardines only if I cut them in half and warm them up a lot. Anyway, I was mostly feeding him whole quail for one meal and whole ground other animal for another. Then one morning he got sick off of the quail and puked it up. The next time.he had a whole quail he only ate half of it and got sick again. Since then he wont touch any whole quail at all. Should I just keep trying? I'm throwing a lot of quail away everytime I do,but otherwise it is just sitting in my freezer anyway...none of the others will eat whole prey yet, although my other kitten does try when she sees her little brother do it.

cel2133

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not mean to post this three times! So sorry...

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started my cats on a raw diet and all four of them are at different stages. The youngest was weaned directly onto raw food and was doing great. When I fed him raw quail he immediately took to it.

My two DSH's, ages seven and 14 to 16 years old, one DLH, who, is terminally ill, at almost three years old and my F3 Savannah, LOVE LIVE quail. I breed them, along with Chicks (they are fed at seven days old), Mice, Rats, and Rabbits. I breed, all my own live food. It is given, twice daily, along with Evo dry food, the Turkey and Chicken formula.

Then I tried some small rats at he played with the first one but refused to eat it.

Live or fresh frozen and then thawed?

Then i cut the second one in half and he ate the innards and left me with a rat shell of sorts.

That is very normal with larger prey items, like rats. At least, with, pure domestic cats. If you want, try smaller prey items, like, feeder mice, Try the size range of hopper to adult

He eats sardines only if I cut them in half and warm them up a lot.

Okay

Anyway, I was mostly feeding him whole quail for one meal and whole ground other animal for another.

Sounds very good to me

Then one morning he got sick off of the quail and puked it up. The next time.he had a whole quail he only ate half of it and got sick again.

I am guessing, you bought the quail, from either on-line or a pet store? Does, he, eat the feathers? One of my DSH's plucks her prey, as does, my male F3 Savannah. However, the DLH and other DSH do not always pluck the feathers adequately and end up vomiting sometimes. However, over time, that, has become much less frequent.

Since then he wont touch any whole quail at all.

How long, in-between, vomiting episodes? How long, since, you offered him the quail?

Should I just keep trying?

I think, that, is a very personal decision. If, you would be kind enough, to answer the above questions, that, will help me advise you.

I'm throwing a lot of quail away everytime I do,but otherwise it is just sitting in my freezer anyway...

How long have they been in the freezer?

none of the others will eat whole prey yet, although my other kitten does try when she sees her little brother do it.

Well, I am sure, your female kitten, will be eating whole prey soon.

cel2133

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I am currently working three part time jobs and trying to write a novel on the side so my computer time is limited. Oy.

I would like to get my cats on live prey sometime in the future, but I currently live in an apartment and it's not really an option for me yet. I have been ordering raw food from the internet, from a provider called Hare Today that specifically caters to people who are feeding their cats and dogs a raw diet. She breeds some animals there and buys others, and she has information about where all the animals come from. She sends some whole prey, and ground animals with bones, fur and organs so I can get the kitties used to a variety of meats. And I trust the quality, she clearly loves what she is doing and cares.

As far as the sizing of the whole prey goes, I specifically searched for prey that fell within a size that would equal about half of the cats daily food requirement. The rat were small, but maybe he only ate the insides because it was too big for him regardless.

As far as the quail is concerned, as soon as I posted my last comment (seriously, I posted and then went to feed them) he was back to eating whole quail again with no problems. And he ate sardine heads for the first time that evening. (Yay!) I've been throwing them away up until now. With the quail, he is now eating most of it, but leaving the wings, and sometimes the feet. So maybe it was the feathers. I actually bottle fed him, and when I weaned him onto gruel like you're supposed to, he inhaled some of it twice and refused to eat it afterwards. I switched him to solids pretty quickly and that's actually part of the reason why I have started the transition to raw. It just seemed to make more sense than softening up kibble every day or giving him gruel that he refused to eat because he's overly sensitive. For a street cat who lost his momma at three weeks, he's kind of prissy. :)

Anyway, at this point I only have a few quail left (they've been in the freezer for about a month) and I think I am going to wait until all the cats are on a raw diet before I purchase more. It's more expensive than the other options at Hare Today, and I don't really have the means to store it properly yet. :( The kittens are doing well with it still, and my oldest (she is 16) actually ate some raw ground herring the other day when I got my new shipment in. She is mostly eating raw food mixed with canned, but I think she will be eating all raw in no time. Then I just have my challenge cat to work on. She throws up her third meal of canned and then refuses to eat until I give in and give her kibble (can't have her go more than 24 hours without eating from the research I've done). Then it takes me another few meals before I can convince her to eat canned food and the cycle starts all over again. She won't touch the raw stuff at all. But I have faith that with persistence I will get them all transitioned eventually.

Thanks for your advice. The information about the feathers made a lot of sense, and my concerns are eased quite a bit knowing he isn't the only cat to go through this. I can't wait to become more experienced at this whole thing so I can share my advice with others as well.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quote:Originally Posted by Cel2133  

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

No worries hun

I am currently working three part time jobs and trying to write a novel on the side so my computer time is limited. Oy.

Oy indeed. You sure are busy
. So, thank you for responding

I would like to get my cats on live prey sometime in the future,

Yay yay yay and congratulations
!

but I currently live in an apartment and it's not really an option for me yet.

Yea, if, I didn't have an outdoor area, to breed my own prey, it would not be possible for me either.

I have been ordering raw food from the internet, from a provider called Hare Today that specifically caters to people who are feeding their cats and dogs a raw diet.

Yes, I recently got some pre-killed Cavia porcellus from Hare Today. The cats LOVED it. Though, it took two of them (the F3 Savannah and the better hunter of the DSH's), some time to figure out it was food

She breeds some animals there and buys others, and she has information about where all the animals come from. She sends some whole prey, and ground animals with bones, fur and organs so I can get the kitties used to a variety of meats. And I trust the quality, she clearly loves what she is doing and cares.

Cool cool

As far as the sizing of the whole prey goes, I specifically searched for prey that fell within a size that would equal about half of the cats daily food requirement. The rat were small, but maybe he only ate the insides because it was too big for him regardless.

Maybe, not sure. I think, with pure domestic cats, it depends on the cat. I have one DSH, who, is as good as my F3 Savannah in the hunting depart. Also that DSH, will pluck her prey like a true hybrid or exotic cat. Meaning, pluck the feathers off a bird or a great deal of the hair, on larger mammalian prey items.

As far as the quail is concerned, as soon as I posted my last comment (seriously, I posted and then went to feed them) he was back to eating whole quail again with no problems.

Yay yay yay and yay!

And he ate sardine heads for the first time that evening. (Yay!)

Great progress
!

I've been throwing them away up until now.

I am glad, he, is back to eating it

With the quail, he is now eating most of it, but leaving the wings, and sometimes the feet.

So, he eats like my F3 Savannah and one of my DSH's. Though, they both pluck off, most of the feathers. Was/Is he, eating a lot of the feathers?

So maybe it was the feathers.

Quite possibly. If, my older DSH and terminally ill DLH, eat too many feathers they vomit. However, over time, those two have gotten better at, plucking the quail and chicks

I actually bottle fed him, and when I weaned him onto gruel like you're supposed to, he inhaled some of it twice and refused to eat it afterwards. I switched him to solids pretty quickly and that's actually part of the reason why I have started the transition to raw.

I am sorry, he inhaled his gruel. But, it sounds like it was all for the better

It just seemed to make more sense than softening up kibble every day or giving him gruel that he refused to eat because he's overly sensitive. For a street cat who lost his momma at three weeks, he's kind of prissy. :)

Awe, he still sounds like a great boy
. Good eater too

Anyway, at this point I only have a few quail left (they've been in the freezer for about a month) and I think I am going to wait until all the cats are on a raw diet before I purchase more. It's more expensive than the other options at Hare Today, and I don't really have the means to store it properly yet. :(

Just my
, so, please keep that in mind. But, in my humble opinion, if you can afford it, I would still get a few quail. Only so, he "grows up" eating whole prey. It is much harder, to transition a domestic to whole prey, later on in life.

The kittens are doing well with it still, and my oldest (she is 16) actually ate some raw ground herring the other day when I got my new shipment in.

That is great

She is mostly eating raw food mixed with canned, but I think she will be eating all raw in no time.

At 16 years old, even if, she, will just eat the raw mixed with the canned food or just ground raw, you have done GREAT
!

Then I just have my challenge cat to work on. She throws up her third meal of canned and then refuses to eat until I give in and give her kibble (can't have her go more than 24 hours without eating from the research I've done). Then it takes me another few meals before I can convince her to eat canned food and the cycle starts all over again. She won't touch the raw stuff at all.

Yes, you are doing the right thing, with the "challenge kitty". Keep up the good work

But I have faith that with persistence I will get them all transitioned eventually.

I am sure, you, will get it done. Again, what follows is just my
, but, if the oldest one will eat raw or canned with raw and you can the other two onto whole prey, then, I would stick with that. Then, just keep working with, the "challenge" kitty.

Thanks for your advice.

You are very very very welcome
. I am glad to help

The information about the feathers made a lot of sense, and my concerns are eased quite a bit knowing he isn't the only cat to go through this.

Nope, he is not the first kitty. I sure hope, he isn't the last either. If, you are worried, just pluck some of the excess feathers.

I can't wait to become more experienced at this whole thing so I can share my advice with others as well.
You will be a prow, in no time, trust me

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat will not eat anything that still looks like a small animal. She will eat chopped up meat, but if it still looks like a mouse/bird/whatever, she will ignore it. The problem for me is that I trained her not to attack my other pets, which over the years have included various rodents, birds, reptiles, and tarantulas. Because of her training, small critters are a no-no. Even if there's some fur on the meat, she won't touch it. It has to be meat, not an animal.