Does anyone else's cat do this?

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to love on them, hold them or just play with them- they want nothing to do with you...

Suddenly, you get buy and engrossed in something and all of a sudden they want love and attention. They get on your keyboard, lay on your book etc.............

How do I discourage this, or is it just a "cat quirk?"

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well surely because THEY want the decision of when/if...

My Simone is famous for walking across my keyboard and has pushed some F-whatever keys and messed up my computer quite nicely.

She can be snoozing away and the minute I get on the phone she must perch herself right next to me and start meowing....the person on the other end can hear her and ask if I need to go tend to my meowing kitty!! Rediculous....gotta love 'em.

kumitekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cat likes to sit on my math book. When he was a kitten I would read one page, then move him to the other side of the book so I could read the page he was sitting on. Then I would just move him back and forth. I thought it was cute, but I think I got him in a bad habit. Oops.

One of my cats love to sit on my lap while I watch TV, but I can't get the other to do it at all. He prefers to sit on my chest while I'm in bed. It is either a territorial issue between he and the other cat, or he just has the habit of doing one thing and just keeps doing it. Cats are very habitual creatures, and once they start doing something, it can be difficult to redirect them, but it is possible. You just have to have patience.

My opinion is that cats know what you are giving attention to and attempt to get in your line of vision so they can get the attention instead.  Or they like to be involved in whatever you are doing. Or maybe you have given them attention in this situation in the past, and now they equate you sitting at your computer or opening your book to cuddle time.  I think attention is part of the reason they really like it when you play with them, rather than just leave toys out. I mean the movement is a huge thing too, but putting personal playtime in with your kitties has proven time after time to solve numerous behavioral and aggression issues.

If you are not already doing so, I would recommend scheduling a play time with your cat. Try to make it the same time every day, and play for about 15 minutes or so. Try to wear them out. You can also use a wand toy while you are attempting to read to distract them from bothering you.

I would try having the play time before the time you want to read, and even give them some wet food after, and see if they feel like that is enough attention to leave you alone. Make sure the play time is quality. Make the wand toy act like real prey so the cat will maintain interest. Also, let him catch it often. Try hiding the toy behind things, moving up and down and stopping sometimes Play with timing and different movements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have about an hour of active play every night before bed!! I tend to think they are just brats lol-- attention starved brats :D but I love my babies!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you were to try and describe how a "normal" cat acts to someone who has never lived with one, that behavior would be the very first thing you would mention, that is how common it is 

Last edited:

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you were to try and describe how a "normal" cat acts to someone who has never lived with one, that behavior would be the very first thing you would mention, that is how common it is 
true, true, very true.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have about an hour of active play every night before bed!! I tend to think they are just brats lol-- attention starved brats :D but I love my babies!

Yep, spoiled rotten brats who are in total control of the house - and they know it.  But how can we say no to them? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, spoiled rotten brats who are in total control of the house - and they know it.  But how can we say no to them? 

You can't lol-- they have you under their spell hehe- little heathens.

cookimonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, will be sitting in my lap, and I'll have out my phone. She'll be snoozing and as soon as I try to type something, she snags my phone and starts licking it. Kittens. The most endearingly annoying creatures on earth.