Does Anyone Else Torture Themselves With Internet Comments?

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Surely I'm not the only one who watches adorable or hilarious animal videos and then proceeds to open the comments, knowing that I will likely hate them (or anything on the internet, really, but let's just limit this to animal/cat videos).

While I'm still cooing or laughing at the adorable kitty or derpy dog, someone else is crying animal cruelty. Don't get me wrong, animal cruelty is the absolute worst, and people who are cruel to animals are monsters. And occasionally, I'll see a video that, while far from actual cruelty, maybe isn't super nice, and I don't like those. But most of them are pretty innocent, especially without additional context (i.e. comments shaming those with purebred pets; those pets could have been adopted or at least purchased from an ethical and reputable breeder).

The most surprising of all is that I know there will be comments like this and I still read them. Is there something wrong with me, or does anybody else do that?

(note; I'm hoping this won't turn into a fight about anything hence why it's not in the IMO forum)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely read comments on the internet unless it is written by someone I know.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do read comments for videos I like. I'm less disturbed by people spouting rage than those who comment ignorantly.

Sometimes I see a video where some pet has a post- spay/neuter shave and people are freaking out that it's cruel to "mutilate" animals- that upsets me too much.

There are videos out there that I don't like- especially cat videos. I see too many of cats that are in distress (Ie. head stuck in pipe, jar etc) and I just think put down the camera and help the cat! I love a good cute cat video and once or twice a year I binge them like mad if I'm feeling blue and need to get happier but some are just aggravating.

Thankfully there are so many out there that I can jump to another video that is actually uplifting and not have to finish those that I find offensive.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Surely I'm not the only one who watches adorable or hilarious animal videos and then proceeds to open the comments, knowing that I will likely hate them (or anything on the internet, really, but let's just limit this to animal/cat videos).

While I'm still cooing or laughing at the adorable kitty or derpy dog, someone else is crying animal cruelty. Don't get me wrong, animal cruelty is the absolute worst, and people who are cruel to animals are monsters. And occasionally, I'll see a video that, while far from actual cruelty, maybe isn't super nice, and I don't like those. But most of them are pretty innocent, especially without additional context (i.e. comments shaming those with purebred pets; those pets could have been adopted or at least purchased from an ethical and reputable breeder).

The most surprising of all is that I know there will be comments like this and I still read them. Is there something wrong with me, or does anybody else do that?

(note; I'm hoping this won't turn into a fight about anything hence why it's not in the IMO forum)

I do that too. I should know better than to read the comments especially on YouTube, but I still do it. Even a short video of a kitten playing with a ball of string is almost guaranteed to have a few trolls commenting how they don't like cats and they wish something bad would happen. Usually I can resist the urge to comment back, but once in awhile I have to let them have it which is of course what they want. When I first started watching YouTube videos I remember thinking who are these people and what made them like this? I mean sure, in real life there are people like this and I avoid them at all cost, but online it seems way more common. I guess its the whole its easier to be who you really are behind a keyboard vs being face to face with someone.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing you need to understand is that there are some people who spend their lives looking for things to be offended by. I wouldn't even venture to try and figure out the mindset behind such people; it sufficient to know that they exist, and the anonymity of the internet gives them what we used to call 'beer muscles'. I ignore them- they're not worth worrying about.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing you need to understand is that there are some people who spend their lives looking for things to be offended by. I wouldn't even venture to try and figure out the mindset behind such people; it sufficient to know that they exist, and the anonymity of the internet gives them what we used to call 'beer muscles'. I ignore them- they're not worth worrying about.
"Beer muscles". Perfect term.

The videos I've seen of cats getting themselves into silly situations and scraps or just spooking over something stupid are really cute. There's an old old video of a cat prowling around a kitchen, goes to walk around the cabinet and comes face to face with another cat they live with, and he goes 4 feet in the air, all 4's spread. He was surprised. Those things are funny and things all cats do.
Then there are people who purposely tie balloons, plastic bags, etc. to their cats or shove something like a mask in their faces to see them get panicked. That's not funny or cool.
@Mother Dragon and I have both seen a video that shows a horse being stung during a pleasure driving class, and it creates a dangerous situation with spooked horses and mild injuries. The "abuse" comments went nuts.
It's not worth joining in the craze.