Does anyone else think it's just STRANGE...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

My very first job was in a movie theater, and I used to have to clean them out once the shows were over. I have actually been special enough to find ONE shoe. I still don't know how it happened, or how the person didn't notice.
That is weird, theater floors are always extremely sticky.

I've not noticed many shoes on the side of the road, but then again they have people out picking up trash rather regularly.

Funny scene I came across years ago. While walking in the woods down at a local public bay near St Ignace MI. I found a campsite, or what was left of one.
Complete mess. Clothes everywhere, tent tipped over and crushed, what was left of any food containers were shredded and strewn about. ... Someone had a visit from a bear.
The funny part was that there were two complete sets of clothes, a man and a womans. I have to wonder if they were running out of there nude from the bear.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen the same thing many times and wondered how that happens. It's one of those mysteries just like, how do you lose socks in the dryer?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

I have seen the same thing many times and wondered how that happens. It's one of those mysteries just like, how do you lose socks in the dryer?
They get stuck in between the drum and the outer case. If you want to go after your sock all you have to do is pull the drum out. Now, if you are able to do that you'll most likely have to call a repair man to get it back in.

Oh, I used to work in a laundry mat. I also know the best way to kill a drier is to put underwire bras in it. The wire comes out and will break the drum housing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, I used to work in a laundry mat. I also know the best way to kill a drier is to put underwire bras in it. The wire comes out and will break the drum housing.
Really? I've never had any accidents to the dryer yet. Maybe I've just been lucky...

Just got back from town a few minutes ago, while on the way home I did notice one brown leather glove in the middle of main boulevard in town.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shoes tied together and tossed over a tree branch or a powerline... that was used in the movie "Wag The Dog," remember? (Brilliant political satire, well worth renting!)

The one-shoe-by-the-side-of-the-road thing... well, maybe my mind is in the gutter, but I've always imagined a romantic tryst in the backseat of a car being driven by a really, really, really close friend whose car is perhaps a bit too small for the purpose, so someone rolls down a back window to allow room for someone's feet, and someone, in the, ah, heat of the moment, flings off a shoe.

I've led a sheltered life, but I have a vivid imagination.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's the best way to kill underwire bras, too! A lose-lose situation, clearly

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

But we never actually threw out the things, we only joked. I guess we were tooooo nice. LOL
What?! You mean you weren't actually suppose to throw them out the window?!

One guy I work with said that when his kids were little, they always fought on road trips. One Christmas they were traveling to a relatives and he and his wife didn't want to listen to the kids fight for 2 hours.

So they wrapped empty tissue boxes and placed these "presents" on the console between them...in view of the kids, but never said a word of who they were for or anything.

When the kids started to fight they tossed one of the "presents" out the window. All it took was one box and the trip was smooth and silent.

Originally Posted by Taurus77

I've always heard this was how gangs designate their territory.
That makes sense...I only really see them in the poorer neighborhoods. They always seem to be kid shoes too.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I always just assume someone was in a car with another person, grabbed their shoe and tossed it out (remember that game as a child when you and your sibling would hold the other's belonging chanting "You can't have this, you can't have this!" Then threw it?

The ones I find odd is a random pair of sneakers hanging from a tree branch or electrical wire. All I think is "Why would any one tie their sneakers together and through it up there?!
I always thought, it was bullies, they were tormenting some other child, took his shoes off and tied them together and threw them up on the electrical wire, then I would think, I wonder how many times it took to actually get them to stay up there?

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hace heard that the whole shoes over power line was a symblal wof soldiers leaving boot camp and going to war. It started back during WW2. I went and looked it up and heres what I found a sSnoops. From what they say it can be a symble for everything from gang teritory to a symble of moving to the next faze in life, ie graduation or going to war. Basicly it has been going on for so long no one really knows the truth. I like to believe it symbolizes a rite of passage and I really like the symbolisom of a young man leaving his life behind to fight fo a greater good.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/sneakers.asp

Here is Wikipedias entry about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing