Does Anyone Else Like Gardening?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm afraid I'm not much of a gardener, but lately I've been trying to plant a new rosebush under our front windows every spring, ever since we finally got rid of the prickly juniper bushes that the previous owners planted there to deter burglars.

• I planted Jacob's Ladder 4 years ago - it did not survive its first winter. :sigh:
  • Three years ago I planted Love and Peace - it's thriving. It's already flowered once this spring; I tried to deadhead, though I was a bit late on some of the blooms, but when I was out this morning I saw that there are two new buds so I have hopes that I can keep it blooming all summer, the way it did last year.
  • Two years ago, on the very day that I was planning to plant the new bush I'd bought, Roger got sick and had to be hospitalized. By the time I was actually able to get to it, it was dead. :sigh: :sigh:
  • Last year I planted Polynesian Punch, and last winter I was very careful about properly protecting it, so it got through the winter quite nicely and has been blooming for the last month. I was just out front deadheading it, although it probably isn't necessary since it's a floribunda.
In my back yard I have a Rosa foetida bicolor (Austrian Copper), an heirloom rose that was planted by the original owners of the house. Here's a close-up of one of its flowers:

Two years ago, half the flowers on the bush came in all yellow, which is the original color of Rosa foetida (Rosa foetida is one of the primary original sources of the gene for yellow in roses), and last year the Dr. Huey root stock began manifesting itself. :angryfire: As a now deceased friend commented, "Ah, the bindweed of roses." It's time for me to get busy and root some cuttings to go in my front garden, since that's the only way to ensure the survival of the heirloom roses.

But I have a couple of problems. Our soil is very high in bentonite, the clay that clumping litter is made from, which makes it very hard to dig, and I broke my right wrist in February. I had a great surgeon, and I've just finished my course of occupational therapy, but that wrist still isn't as strong as it should be, which makes digging well nigh impossible. I had decided not to plant a new rose bush this spring because of that; in fact, instead of a rose bush this spring I bought some wild flower seeds suited to our area that I plan to sprinkle in the lawn to compete with the dandelions (I should do that today - we've just had a couple of heavy rain storms so it's a good time for them). But if I root some cuttings from my heirloom rose I'm going to have to dig some holes in order to plant them, and I can't really wait until next year to root them - I may have nothing left of the heirloom bush by then.

And my second problem is that I just discovered 4 lily plants growing in my front garden, planted by the house guests we had in 2012-2013, without consulting with me, and I really need to get rid of those before I take Jasmine for any walks. I have a neighbor who might like the bulbs, would probably even offer to dig them up for me, but she has a corgi; are lilies as toxic to dogs as they are to cats?

Margret

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
If you love antique roses, you should check out the Antique Rose Emporium. They have many "found" roses rescued by a group called the Rose Rustlers. These folks check out abandoned homes, farms, and ranches for old roses that have survived the ages. They rescue them and propagate them.

The Antique Rose Emporium is a delightful place to visit and their gardens are beautiful. Take a look at their website. You may find something you like that's very hardy. It's fun just to look through all the roses they have. Enjoy!

The Antique Rose Emporium

I have only one plant that was planted for flowers. It's a giant gardenia bush that's right outside the bay window in the breakfast area. Twice a year it turns white with blooms and the fragrance is so strong it can be smelled all the way in the front of the house. I should probably deadhead it but I just let the spent blooms fall naturally.

The aloe vera also blooms prolifically, but we have it for its medicinal purposes, so I don't think that counts.

Everything else is fruit, vegetables, or herbs. This year we put 82 plants into the container garden. We have 21 tomato plants, 17 of which are grape tomatoes, a lot of peppers of various heats, including jalapeños, habaneros, and super-hots, four wonderfully bushy sweet basils and one Thai basil, four kinds of mint, and various other herbs. Oh and don't dare forget the huge pot of exceptionally potent catnip. So far, the bugs haven't found the plants. Cross your fingers that it stays that way. We're starting to harvest now because we got the plants in almost a month late. I have to slap Robert's hand because he eats the grape tomatoes right off the vine before they're fully ripe.

We have two gigantic sugar fig trees that were slips cut from my mom's trees. I haven't gotten a fig in years because the squirrels and birds get there first. Someday I hope to rescue enough to make some fig preserves. I'd probably have to live in the trees to get them, though.

I think lilies are poisonous to just about everything.

Good luck with your roses, Margret.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
youu can dig out the dirt where you want to plant=then dump a bag of potting mix into hole where you plant...thats what
I do. I toss the dirt in an area of the yard that I am trying tofill...I know that may be hard to do but maybe next year-I will check out those roses! I have been trying to mother these slips of roses I got from my dads house..which I thought were beach roses but theyu were just regular roses from the nursery but they are beach roses-just not the from the original plant that is growing in windham.

Yesterday the town over had a book n plant sale. I managed to get some lavender and cat mint-the plants sold in minutes=it was a dive in and grab or loose out on plants. then some yellow flowering thing that looks really pretty...I should have grabbed two of them but the other ladies already grabbed them. the tag says they are good in drought dry dirt so going to try them in the side garden on north side-it's the side that is more prone to winds and blistering sun all day.

I am pleased to see tons of baby cone flowers starting to grow but I did get another 6 pack of them because I couldn't help myself. I have way too many plants but you know it really cheers me up when I am not feeling well...

I even planted asian bell flowerrs for the wood chuck....he/she eats those down every year but I don't mind. It keeps him out of the other gardens-so I always recommend planting stuff they like to eat on the edges of your yard to keep them content but last year the brat ate all my wild grown petunias!!! I saw him yesterday in front of the yard going to the gardens in front of my house as I was sitting in the living room...he ran off when I looked outside...that little stinker!