Does anyone else get the holiday blues?

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy the holiday. Its one of very few days my entire family gets together. We're all spread out all over the state and into Pennsylvania. I don't decorate my house the way I used to, but thats a health issue. My partner and I spend Christmas with our own families so I don't get to see him on that day. Money is always tight in the winter due to oil heat bills ($200-300 a month) But I have people who love me and I'm relatively healthy. Nothing is being threatened to be turned off and my mortgage is paid. I cut back on the kids presents. I no longer buy them $50 gifts. And they don't notice or really care. They were remembered and love their favorite aunt.

One of the things I remember from my college Psych classes is that during the Christmas season, the happiest of people can feel depressed. Its quite prevelant. TV hypes the season up so that everyone looks like they're affording huge presents for their family when the reality is the opposite. How many cars have you given or received for Christmas?? And everyone is happy and their problems are solved in 30 to 90 minutes.

The trick is to make sure your depression doesn't last. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask for it. If you need a hug, get one. Contribute to your charity with your time instead of money. I work at a Battered Womans Shelter the weekend before the holiday helping them wrap gifts and baking. Count your blessings, do something to help those less fortunate. And don't be ashamed to seek medical help if it goes that far. Depression can be a chemical imbalance too.