Does Anyone Brush Their Cat's Teeth?

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used the additive for about 3 months now, and have been totally impressed. The cats don't know it's in the water and I'm really happy with the results. I feed my cats dry and wet food, so there are instances of stinky fishy cat food breath, but the additive has taken care of that!

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've been using the Petkin drinking water additive for a while now, I don't know if it really does anything for their teeth and gums or not, but it does help with stinky breath and the baking soda probably has some effect on the overall cleanliness of their mouth. We just started the logic gel last week and it's way too soon to see results, but they love the way it tastes, I pin them down and squeeze the tube near their mouth and they lick, and lick, and lick some more, and if I pull the tube away, they follow it looking for more
From what I've read on these forums, the logic should help in the long term. Next time they're at the vet we'll see if they need a real cleaning. But I hope we can avoid that, the last one for Etain was quite traumatic and she lost two bottom teeth, so now the poor thing drools a bit

I think that standard vet advice is any cat over 8 years should have pre-op blood work to make sure they are in good health before going under. So I would say that a cat in their teens should definitely have it done. But of course before signing off on the professional cleaning, make sure it is absolutely necessary. If the vet tells you that her teeth and gums are in really bad shape, then it needs to be done to prevent serious illness. If the vet says they could do with a cleaning, maybe try brushing or something like logic gel for a while first (I got mine from petmeds uk because it's not sold in the US, it was only about $12 including shipping). And if you're not 100% comfortable with having the cleaning done, get a second opinion.