Does anybody know what this is ???

Laylamarie2024

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can somebody help me out, my cat is currently nursing 3 kittens & this rash looking thing formed recently. I have no idea what it is & if I should take her to the vet. She doesn’t seem to be in any pain but it I’m concerned for her health. Does anybody know what this is?
0827AD55-2000-4F55-A8C4-B709BBD7DFED.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you send that picture to your vet clinic? Its possible that one of those little spider babies has irritated her, or it could be something more serious. Is it anywhere else on her body, or on the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laylamarie2024

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you send that picture to your vet clinic? Its possible that one of those little spider babies has irritated her, or it could be something more serious. Is it anywhere else on her body, or on the kittens?
I tried sending a picture to my vet clinic with info but haven’t gotten a response, I’m hoping it’s not something serious like mastitis but this is the first time I’ve ever dealt with anything like this so I’m unsure what to do. But it’s only in that area on one nipple & the kittens seem fine. I’m just trying to keep them off of that one just in case it’s some sort of infection.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can't keep them away from one nipple if it is producing milk. But I see it is clearly on her left side, not the breastfeeding area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laylamarie2024

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can't keep them away from one nipple if it is producing milk. But I see this is clearly on her left side, not the breastfeeding area.
She has 3 & they just started teething. they’re a little over 4 weeks old & I thought maybe it could be from that but it looks sort of like an infection to me. The nipple is producing milk & I’ve been holding warm rags on it hoping to soothe it but not sure where to go from there. Any advice ?
I just started them on kitten food not too long ago. They’re not fully there just yet, still in the weaning process

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
L Laylamarie2024 it looks like she could have mastitis.

Holding a warm washcloth over the affected area will bring her some relief, but as this is a bacterial infection of the breast gland it should be treated with antibiotics. It could be very serious if allowed to progress. Your cat really needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. You can find more information here.

Mastitis in Cats

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it may be fungal or bacterial. She definitely needs treatment by a vet. Are you able to get her seen ASAP?

In the meantime, you can apply coconut oil for relief, but it will not cure this.

L Laylamarie2024