Does anybody know what cat breed is this?

alexandrakme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello ! I was wondering if anybody knows what breeds is my 9 months old mixed breed cat, Chloe. She is tall but skinny with a little tummy; she has a lot of personality : very active, agile, playful, outgoing and very intelligent. She is noisy but not like a Siamese cat. Somebody told me she looks like an Egyptian Mau. I would really appreciate any ideas.  Thanks a lot ! 

Alex

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most (98%+ in the U.S.) kitties aren't "mixed breed" like dogs are. They're just. . .no breed. Cats are cats :D. She's pretty, for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexandrakme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She IS very pretty, thank you. :) I'm just curious if there's A breed that she resembles. 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, no she doesn't look like a Mau. She's just a domestic, appears to be a blue tabby but the colour isn't clear on my screen from that photo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexandrakme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No sorry needed. I adopted her because she needed a home and she's gorgeous and makes me smile everyday; it's pure curiosity. Thank you. 

faecat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has very interesting spots... Why dont you looks into bengal mixes, Their colors have gotten alot wider in the past few years. alot of people still think bengals are brown and black like a wild cat but I have seen pictures of gray ones. And keep in mind that sometimes a cat is cat but their personalities is what really matters!

Good luck

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So would a gray Bengal kitten be a pet quality Bengal? Or do the genetics mean that it has to be a mixed breed to be gray, and so can't be entirely Bengal to begin with?

Anyway, yeah, that's a really cute catten you have there. I love those big ears! If she's the type of active, smart, curious cat I'm thinking of, you're probably having trouble keeping up with her... and loving every minute of it!

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if genuine Bengals do produce the occasional grey kitten.  All Bengals (at least all registered with the GCCF) should be brown tabby or some variation involving silver and/or burmese/tonkinese/siamese colour restriction.

I guess it's possible that some Bengals carry dilute, mate two of those and you might get a blue tabby instead of brown, but it's most certainly pet quality.  Ditto if two carry non-agouti and produce black or even grey self kittens.

So many people seem to have started thinking that any brown tabby 'must have some Bengal' that all sorts of cats which are pure random-bred cats are getting labeled 'bengals' so who knows what the actual background is?

BTW I am deliberately using Bengal for the genuine, registered article, and bengal for the alleged bengals.

The Bengals I've seen at shows are utterly striking, and even a pet quality one would be fairly obvious to me if it has the glitter.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a gorgeous(!) Blue Spotted Tabby DSH. She's really lovely.
She doesn't look like a pure any breed to me, and no way to know for absolute sure if she has any breeds in her or if she is entirely from random-bred domestic kitties ( which are the vast majority, and come in a wonderful variety).
I am not seeing Mau. She looks more bengally than mauish. (lol @ my made-up words). Blue is not an allowed color in Bengals but there are some Bengals carrying the dilute gene (Which, if a cat inherits it from both parents, turns black into blue , or turns "brown tabby" into blue tabby. ) so it can pop up sometimes in Bengals and those would normally just be sold as pets.

And those spots are actually kinda rosetty looking. I don't think she's a Bengal but it is possible she could be a Bengal mix. Bengals are very popular so that is a breed more likely than in most cat breeds to have some mixes around ( though I doubt there are nearly so many as people seem to imagine!)

Keep in mind that cats are not like dogs that are usually a breed or a mix of breeds descended from animals bred by breeders. The vast majority of cats are descended from cats who have just bred randomly on their own over the years and with the pedigree cats being only 3% of owned cats, and many of them today being spayed/ neutered as kittens, there are not a lot of cats running around that are a mix of a few breeds like you see with dogs.
Stealth Kitty recently wrote some good explanation of that in a post in another thread, and put a link in that post to a chapter from a feline husbandry textbook that tells about the development of cat breeds. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/254298/...se-people-want-to-give-is-moggie#post_3304939

Anyway, whatever her unknown ancestry may be, she is beautiful and she sounds like she has a great personality! ( for those who love active, intelligent, social cats).
Congratulations for adopting her!