Doe this sound fishy? Some man came to friends house for a security check.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

It wasn't legitimate. It sounds like he was casing the house! She was smart to react like she did! If I were her, I would notify the police and ask my biggest, baddest guy friend to say over (on the couch) tonight!
That is what I'd do, I sure would sleep there alone

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big bad friend is a great idea, but she should also talk to the police again and ask them to put her house on frequent drive-by status. There is no way in the world that this was legitimate.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

It definately sounds fishy. They way you say he just flashed the badge is the tip off. We had the FBI show up at our house unanounced to do a security check on one of our neighbors who was in the running for a high security job. When they showed up they let us study the badge for a moment and also had that weird "we have power" vibe, if that makes sence. As soon as we opened the door before even seeing the badge we knew they were from some government group. We kind of laughed about it afterwards because they really were like the people you see in movies. All serious, dressed in black drove a black car, the whole thing. They left a card with us with instructions to call if we had any more info that we forgot to tell them. They did apologize for not calling ahead but they explained that if they show up unanounce they tend to get real answers and not get told just what the applicant wants them to hear.

If your friend can remember the orginization he said he was with and his name she can call the local office and conferm whether or not they sent someone out.

IS there any way she can get a hold of her parents before they get home? i.e cell phone or something?

A few years ago I was called upon by an Investigator to interview as a part of a background check for my friend (she was hired into the government). I wasn't home at the time, but from his story he showed up at my door. He called my cell phone and left a message that he was outside my door and if I was home that evening to give him a call. It took another day of playing phone tag, but really he was aggressive at hunting me down.

I was going to say it was legit, but I have never heard of a neighborhood security check. At least without the police knowing.

Good for her for reporting it. Hopefully she can get a cop to watch the place tonight and/or stay at a friends house!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh that's scary!!!

I had someone knock on our door early in the morning when I was living in Australia, and the guy gave me some story about having tiled the roof of our house 20 years ago and wondering if the same people lived there, and if it needed redoing. He was covered in paint, and I wondered why a painter would be repainting a house for a start, and who would go back to a house they worked on a long time ago, when if that was his job, he probably did that a lot.

Needless to say, I told him to go away. I went to my neighbours later that morning and asked if he'd been to their house, and they said yes, but he'd given them a DIFFERENT equally fishy story! So I called the Police and let them know, but there's nothing they could do - it was a few hours later by that stage, and I didn't see what he was driving, or have a very good description of him (he woke me up, I was barely conscious still...).

Anyway, so the moral of the story is: always trust your instincts!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

The big bad friend is a great idea, but she should also talk to the police again and ask them to put her house on frequent drive-by status. There is no way in the world that this was legitimate.
I think our area in general is driven through frequently.
She doesn't live in the park, but her house faces the nicer section of it. (I live in the in between nice and not nice part.) She's supposed to call me too if he comes back, so far no call though. I really hope her parents made it in tonight. I'm not sure where they were, but I'm sure they know about it. And I'm sure one call to her Sergeant could get her help real quick like, so that is a comfort.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so scary! I would freak out!

Hope everything is okay with her tonight and I hope mom and dad came home

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is definitely not legit. Your friend should also really get into the practice of NEVER answering her door for a stranger. It's just not safe. Also- never let a stranger know you're home by yourself....you become an even easier target that way! If i were your friend I would keep my eyes open and pay very close attention to my surroundings
It's good that she alerted the police that there was someone in the area claiming to be legit/etc. Hopefully they can keep an eye out for any strange activity.

The man was most likely casing the place. I would tell your friend to be careful- maybe stay with another friend for a few nights if possible?