Docycycline intolerance?

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 10 year old cat Willis has been taking docycycline - two pills twice a day - for a little over two weeks to treat a mycoplasma bacterial URI.

He has been sneezing and sniffling off and on for months and was been treated with convenia, baytril and lysine, with little or no effect.

A nasal culture revealed the mycoplasma bacteria. At first Willis did fine with the docycycline - I make sure he has food on his stomach and chase the pill with water or a little canned food - aside from a slightly loose stool it didn't seem to bother him and there was improvement in the sneezing.

About three days ago, however, he began to vomit at least once a day after the pilling, anywhere from a few minutes to several hours after.

Also yesterday he began sneezing again and he is still stuffed up. I emailed the vet because the clinic is closed for the holiday, but don't expect to hear back from her until at least tomorrow. Willis has five days of the meds left, and I am wondering what to do about the vomiting. I know I should probably finish the three weeks of antibiotic that was prescribed, but it is making him feel so lousy and I can't really see continued improvement in is condition; his eyes are now starting to water also. Last night I gave him a break and gave him only the larger of the two pills, can't find evidence that he was sick in the night. Wondering how I should proceed - anyone have a cat who showed an increasingly adverse reaction to this drug over time?

greencateyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm very sorry to hear about your kitty's situation. When on antibiotics the cats should always be given a probiotic supplement with their food to assist them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. How does a probiotic prevent vomiting?

greencateyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear about your kitty. When cats are on antibiotics they should also be given a probiotic supplement. Probiotics will replace naturally occurring enzymes and bacteria that is necessary for them to absorb nutrients in their food, that antibiotics destroy.

Also the probiotics assist them in digesting their food and eliminating it properly instead of getting an upset tummy and having it come back up...or.... Unfortunately I don't know anywhere where you'll be able to purchase this tomorrow you should be able to find some on Friday at your local pet food

greencateyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I'm replying on my iPhone and I keep getting kicked out and my replies are getting sent before I finished them.

As I was saying, probiotics will allow your cat to digest his food properly, absorbing the necessary nutrients from his food. Any diarrhea or throwing up should cease pretty quickly. If you can look online and Google probiotics for felines and you will be able to read exactly how it works.

I believe you should be able to pick up some probiotics at a local pet supply store. There are many companies online that sell homeopathic and natural remedies and their products are very good, The only problem is that it will take a few days to receive it so for this round you're better off picking up something locally.

Please update all of us and let us know how your babies doing I wish you all the best and again I apologize for the multiple replies.

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again. I'm not seeing where probiotics are indicated for the nausea and vomiting that can go with docycycline, but I will ask my vet about it.

She does not routinely promote the use of probiotics with antibiotic. In fact, when Willis was on baytril and got diarrhea, she suggested I lower the dose of the baytril and spread it out over more time, not administering probiotic. Anyway, he takes 150 mg of docycycline twice a day for a total of 300 mg per day - seems like a lot from what I can find out about dosing. I gave him only the 100 mg capsule last night and again this a.m. and he seems to feel  better. But I'm not sure if that makes the doxy less effective. I kind of decided that it would be better to give him a smaller dose he can keep down than rather than the bigger dose that has been making him sick and don't know if he gets the benefit of the med before he gets sick. Anyone familiar with docycycline dosing?

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat Pal, I'm sorry your baby's having problems. I hope Willis feels better soon!

I have never given a cat doxycycline. However, I know that it can cause nausea and upset the stomach. Bacteria, such as mycoplasma, can easily develop resistance to doxycycline. As such, if it's tolerable, it is much better for you to temporarily lower the dosage for Willis than skip a dose(s). Doxycycline should be given every 12 hours to keep up the amount in the system so that the bacteria does not develop resistance.

I would recommend probiotics (while Willis is on the doxycycline) as well.

I recommend you call your vet as soon as possible. I'm not a doctor or vet. This is only based on what I have read/been told by others.

I hope Willis feels better soon! :hugs:

Last edited:

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like intolerance.  I was on antibiotics constantly over a few years for a chronic infection that I just couldn't get rid of. I am now intolerant to almost ALL antibiotics.

The last time I was on antibiotics I had to take Ondansetron (a nausea drug used for chemotherapy) in order to keep things down. Even that was not very successful. The time before that I made it 3 days before I started vomiting.

Hopefully the lower dosage helps.  I'm trying to avoid any antibiotics unless I'm really really sick!

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
According to the dosing manual I have it should be 3mg per lb twice a day.  The most I have ever given a cat is 60mg to one of my 20 pounders.

greencateyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again, the following link has some useful information:   http://www.holisticpetinfo.com/Probiotics-for-Pets_ep_88.html.

A Probiotic / Prebiotic formula is optimal (they are also much more expensive).  I only purchase holistic/ homeopathic remedies from Companies that offer a money back guarantee, if their products are not effective, so I opt for what I think  is best for my all my kitties, as being able to treat them successfully at home is far less expensive than a trip to the vet.

I found a product, Paw Biotics on Amazon, here is the link:

I hope this information is more helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all -

Marsch 21 - 3 mg per pound of body weight x 2/day (120) is consistent with what little dosing information I could find online - that is a lot less than the 150 mg twice a day (300) Willis is prescribed, last known weight 19 pounds (he's dieting :/  Could you tell me to which dosing manual you are referring, so when I give this information to the vet I know what I'm talking about? She suggested I use Veterinary Partner for research but they don't give dosing information - I gave him 100 mg the last two pillings and he seemed to do better with that. Unfortunately I have been away overnight for the holiday and he will miss a couple doses, not good I know, but it was that or miss Christmas over the river and through the woods with the fam -  he's had 2 and 1/2 wks (out of 3) of religious twice daily pillings of what could be inappropriately high doses of docycycline - you do what you can...

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a dosing guide on the Fanciers Health list.  Unfortunately, I can't download it.  I always give a big syringe full of water after dosing to make sure it goes all the way down.

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dosage is probably higher than the norm based on Willis' diagnosis. Different conditions can require different dosages. However, check with your Vet.

greencateyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is another thought... Years ago, my Ex developed staph infection during an others arthroscopic knee surgery. This was before "super staff" (strains that are resistant to the most powerful antibiotics on the market.

Still, he spent over a week in the hospital and underwent two synovectomies (a surgical procedure where the surgeon goes in and scrapes and removes the infected areas. He was put on vancomycin after he was admitted, and remained on it (IV) after he was released for about two months (maybe longer, it was 15 years ago).

After being on the strongest antibiotic on the market for an extended period of time, for the following three weeks, if someone had a cold and looked at him, he got sick. We finally asked our family Dr., she suggested Echinacea and Goldenseal. He took it for a while and his immune system began getting stronger, and eventually it got back to "normal".

Echinacea and Goldenseal is often recommended for cats. You need to check with a Vet who is knowledgeable and practices holistic/homeopathic care. Echinacea is not something a cat can be given for a long or indefinite period of time.

It might be worth checking out. Also, I purchased "The Veterinarian's Guide To Natural Remedies For Cats" written by Martin Zucker (from what I have researched, he is one of the Nation's top Holistic Veterinarians. I have found the book very useful.

Good luck

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you

I finished the 3 weeks of doxy with Willis because it has reduced the amount of sneezing, even though nasal congestion is not ilmproved. There has been no more vomiting since I changed the canned food I was chasing the pills with. In any case, the doxy has ultimately not worked for Willis, so this makes the third antibiotic, plus 2 trials of lysine, that has come up short. Now the vet is recommending skull x-rays with interpretation by a radiologist to determine if there is a tumor in his sinuses that is predisposing him to difficult to treat URI. I'm looking into the price and whether he will need to be fasted and sedated for this. The cat does not have a fever, he is as full of piss and vinegar as any 10 1/2 year old cat, has a good appetite,  and in all these months of on again off again sinus trouble he has not passed on anything to the other cat in the house, Vivian. He seems not to be contagious. So I guess I'm headed in the direction of x-rays. 

I waited until Willis was done with his three weeks of pills, and today started my other cat  Vivian - also 10 yrs. - on her Metronidazole to try and treat intestinal bacterial overgrowth that is causing loose stool with blood and part of I don't know what larger disease process - likely IBD or cancer. So is this what happens when they turn 10? In 7 months I have lost a 10 year old cat to kidney disease, had a second 10 year old diagnosed and treated for arthritis, hyperthyroid/tumor and intestinal disease and now a third 10 year old just finished a 5th failed attempt to address stubborn sneezing and nasal congestion - whew.

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I waited until Willis was done with his three weeks of pills, and today started my other cat  Vivian - also 10 yrs. - on her Metronidazole to try and treat intestinal bacterial overgrowth that is causing loose stool with blood and part of I don't know what larger disease process - likely IBD or cancer. So is this what happens when they turn 10? In 7 months I have lost a 10 year old cat to kidney disease, had a second 10 year old diagnosed and treated for arthritis, hyperthyroid/tumor and intestinal disease and now a third 10 year old just finished a 5th failed attempt to address stubborn sneezing and nasal congestion - whew.
I'm sorry you're having so many problems.  You're dealing with a lot.  It's really hard when our babies get sick.  Hang in there!

For Willis, has your Vet considered allergies?  Allergies don't respond to antibiotics.  Maybe there's something other than a URI going on.  

I waited until Willis was done with his three weeks of pills, and today started my other cat  Vivian - also 10 yrs. - on her Metronidazole to try and treat intestinal bacterial overgrowth that is causing loose stool with blood and part of I don't know what larger disease process - likely IBD or cancer. 
If it's IBD, it probably can be managed with diet, antacids and/or steroids (per your Vet's recommendation).  If you have not already done so, ask your vet about changing her food to something that is IBD friendly.  My cats eat the Royal Canin Pea and Duck.  They also have other formulas, such as rabbit, venison, ect.  Canned food is much better for IBD.   A limited ingredient diet might also benefit Willis if he has allergies (which I don't know; it's possible).  

Hang in there.  Keep us posted.  

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say an allergy would explain this set of on again off again (more on again recently) symptoms of stuffy nose and sneezing in Willis -

except that a nasal culture showed an infection with mycoplasma felis bacteria - thus the docycycline. The doxy didn't clear his nasal congestion but it greatly reduce sneezing, which is not necessarily a good thing since the sneezing helps him to clear his sinuses and get some relief. Also curious is that there are times when Willis is breathing quietly and the congestion seems to be gone, followed by episodes that same day of significant nasal congestion, very noisy breathing and sneezing fits. Inflammation or obstruction in his airways could prevent the normal draining of mucus and cause secondary infection, very hard to treat, which is what the vet has in mind now. Indicentally, I am in the process of changing the cats' diet to a DD duck formula, originally to see if it will address Vivian's intestinal troubles, I suppose a side effect of that could be improvement for Willis on the off chance that he has developed an allergy to the ID food he has eaten for many years. We'll see... after nearly a year of failed attempts, and admittedly periods of doing very little for Willis because he had the sniffles but I wasn't sick and my other cats more urgently needed medical attention, I am committed to follow this through and do what I can to find out what is going on with him. Whether it's a thing that can be pinpointed and cured or something that can only be partially managed, it's time... 

So far Vivian has had (ongoing) B12 injections and I have initiated a diet change and metronidazole for her intestinal symptoms and low B12/high folate. Fingers crossed this combination or something therein helps, as the next step is to decide whether to biopsy or just go ahead with steroids and stronger meds without ultrasound/ biopsy - the prep for this procedure is brutal 

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha! Correct - he had the sniffles but HE wasn't sick - we'll leave me out of this ;)

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course, Willis could still have mycoplasma.  He could have allergies too.  I hope you get it figured out soon!  Poor little guy.  

Also, ask your Vet about Pepcid for Vivian.  I hope the DD helps all around.  The Royal Canin Pea and Duck has helped my furbabies.  I'm having trouble with the dry formula.  My girl only eats the canned.  However, my boy is a kibble addict.  I was fairly successful in getting him off the kibbles, but he had an IBD flare up (or something else with vomiting and diarrhea).  I had to give him whatever he would eat, including kibbles, when he stopped eating again due to the flare up (or something else).  I did not want him to get hepatic lipidosis.  

I hope the DD helps your babies.  My cats do much better when they eat the canned food only.  If the DD does not work, consider the Royal Canin.  Also, the nutritional forum is very helpful.  There are lots of well informed posters here.  

As for the biopsy, it is very expensive.  My girl required emergency surgery for a furball obstruction.  Her stomach tissue was very fragile.  At my vet's recommendation, we did a biopsy during the surgery to rule out cancer. If Vivian responds to IBD treatment, she likely has IBD.  I know it's unnerving not knowing though.  

I hope your babies are making progress.  

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes Willis could still have mycoplasma, word is that these deep sinus infections can be very stubborn and require longer term antibiotic - I guess that would be something to consider if there are no "mechanical" issues. Environmental allergies makes sense too since he did better in the summer when it was more humid and the windows were open and he could get out in the fresh air. Lots of possibilities, no answers.

As for Vivian, I am treating for IBD with B12, diet change and metronidazole and if none of these works then I will decide if I will continue to treat for IBD with steroid or get the biopsy. I know the biopsy is expensive, but honestly I'm more concerned about putting the cat through another invasive procedure that may or may not show conclusive results. The vet says ultrasound and endoscopy, colonoscopy, laparoscopy of mid-intestinal area are not that invasive but I don't really see it that way. It's a 24 hour minimum fast, enemas at night and in the morning, anesthesia, the actual procedure and then recovery. It's not open heart surgery but it's still a major stressor for an anxious cat. 

As for the change to DD, Vivian is eating canned DD twice a day and I have some dry on order, as Willis won't eat the canned and I would like to have them at least partly on dry anyway. I gave him canned DD as a chaser after doxy pills to make sure they went down, and a few times the pills came back up with the food and now he won't go near it. That doxy is pretty nasty stuff. He is a dry food guy anyway, so hopefully he tolerates the dry DD okay.

This is not an original idea, but it works for getting a skittish cat to take her pill without freaking out. I made tuna water by bringing a can of tuna and a cup of water to a boil and straining. I offer her about a tablespoon of it after pilling and she loves it, it helps her forget the trauma of being pilled and so far she hasn't started running away from the evil pill lady every time I move in her general direction - so far ha ha .