Doctor says cat might be diabetic but I'm not so sure...

Astral89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody! :)

I'm very concerned after a recent check for my cat because of what the doctor told me. My cat is 5 years old, she's 5 kg (11 lbs), everything so far with her is super good --she's active, eats well, good stool/bladder and no symptoms what so ever that she might be sick. I've been feeding her all her life the best brands available in Egypt (whether dry or wet food) I always look closely at the ingredients and protein/fiber/fat percentage. I've never fed her any bread/rice/sugary stuff because I know it could cause diabetes.

I took her to the vet for her annual check-up and blood tests, and on our way there she was SUPER stressed that she pulled out her own thumb nail in the box from pulling and trying to open the carrier and it was a very traumatic experience for her (she's a very shy/scared indoor cat).

Her glucose level was elevated, but I was sure it's only due to stress and nothing else, but the doc told me to do a more precise test to know if she's diabetic; I attached her GLU & FRU tests' results and I'm so worried because the vet kept telling me she might be diabetic and I'm not convinced. She put her on a strict "diabetic" diet for 2 months (only dry food for diabetes) and no lean proteins (chicken/chicken liver/meat/fish) for those 2 months and then do those tests again afterwards. I'm just not so sure anymore about this prognosis so if anyone has any info please do shed some light because I'm very very scared because I take super good care of her and her brothers.

On a side note --- from asking several people I know, this doctor is famous for over exaggerating so I'm wondering now if that's the case here.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Is this the first time she has had a high glucose reading? Personally speaking, I think a couple of more tests of her glucose level would be warranted before I would be willing to dive into a diabetic treatment plan. While I know not all cats have the same symptoms, many show excessive thirst and urination, and some lose weight. Does she demonstrate any of these typical signs?

11 pounds is not necessarily overweight either. My cat was deemed to have a good body weight for her at around 11 pounds. So, your cat's weight, to me, is not indicative of much of anything either. You can use this body condition chart as a gauge - often more appropriate than weight itself.
Body-Condition-Feline-Chart.jpg

sebseb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i dont have experience with cat diabetes, but the same recently happened to me. i took my 7 y.o. cat to the vet to get seen because he was not eating/drinking, and his sister had just passed the day before. he's also very shy, and he was crying the entire time till he was brought out of his carrier. his blood was drawn and his glucose measured at 180, and the doctor immediately said he's diabetic! his assistant came in later and said he's more than likely not, and its probably because of the bacterial infection he had.
i dont think her doctor should immediately dive into treatment. it is a high level, but she's at a fairly normal weight, and she was extremely stressed. hopefully this gives some reassurance, it did for me. im sure she's all okay, and you've done nothing wrong. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Astral89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Is this the first time she has had a high glucose reading? Personally speaking, I think a couple of more tests of her glucose level would be warranted before I would be willing to dive into a diabetic treatment plan. While I know not all cats have the same symptoms, many show excessive thirst and urination, and some lose weight. Does she demonstrate any of these typical signs?
No, she doesn't have excessive thirst or urination at all! that's what's driving me crazy--she's completely "normal"! and her fructosamine test is within the normal range too.

sebseb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it was most likely stress then. their levels can spike dramatically when they're stressed