Do your cats stick by you when you're sick?

oopsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine do. Oops especially but all three of them. I was laid up all day today with a migraine and the entire time I had at least one cat snuggled up next to me. It's amazingly comforting. They don't bug me for dinner or anything either - they wait until my husband is home and ask him. Such little sweeties. 

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup, they do. Sinbad in particular with me, and Tempest with my hubby.

Beyond staying with the sick person, Sinbad is actually a sort of a little guard dog. I have chronic illness, and he does some amazing things. He knows when I'm about to have what I call a grey out. When he starts zipping around my ankles making a very particular meow (we call it the Sinbad Alarm
), I know it is time to sit down because otherwise I will fall down.

He also warns about my husband: hubby is diabetic, and Sinbad makes his Sinbad Alarm when he is having a high blood sugar spike.

If he sees either of us sitting or lying down in an unusual place, he will go investigate, and if he believes something is wrong he will sound the Sinbad Alarm and summon the other one of us to come look. It's actually really amazing, he will circle around us carefully watching, and come in really close to check breathing.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Beyond staying with the sick person, Sinbad is actually a sort of a little guard dog. I have chronic illness, and he does some amazing things. He knows when I'm about to have what I call a grey out. When he starts zipping around my ankles making a very particular meow (we call it the Sinbad Alarm :lol3: ), I know it is time to sit down because otherwise I will fall down.

He also warns about my husband: hubby is diabetic, and Sinbad makes his Sinbad Alarm when he is having a high blood sugar spike.

If he sees either of us sitting or lying down in an unusual place, he will go investigate, and if he believes something is wrong he will sound the Sinbad Alarm and summon the other one of us to come look. It's actually really amazing, he will circle around us carefully watching, and come in really close to check breathing.
Wow!!! That is awesome!! And very unusual!! Robin has woken me up when I have sleep apnea, but I'm not certain he'd be able to alert me the way Sinbad does. You have a very talented cat!

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All my cats stick near me when I'm sick but Isy, my girl who recently passed away, was the most amazing about it. I have several mental and physical health conditions and she always knew when they were getting bad, sometimes before I did. She'd meow at me and lead me to bed and then curl up right by head if I laid down and growl at anyone who tried to bother me. Half the time it was while I was busy with something and didn't realize how horrible I felt until I laid down. All through high school my parents said that was how they knew not to bother trying to get me to school, because if they came in to check why I hadn't gotten up yet she'd growl and puff up at them until they left me to sleep, but if I'd only overslept and wasn't sick she wouldn't. She'd spend all day with me and not even eat unless I got up sometimes--and this was a cat who regularly bit to wake people up if they slept past breakfast time.

Of my cats now Maya certainly gets the most worried and cuddly when I don't feel well but she's not protective like Isy was. If I don't get up at my usual time or don't look right she'll come up and lick all over my face. And I don't know if any of you have experienced that, but a rough kitty tongue licking your eyelids gets you up in a hurry. She's the honorary Momma Kitty of the bunch and will just cuddle and lick me and check on me all day. Zoey comes to check in every once in a while but other than that she's not too interested, and Aria will cuddle with me but just about has a heart attack if my boyfriend doesn't feel well. She's definitely a Daddy's girl.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday night I had a really bad sinus/headache/ migraine combo.  When I went to bed all 4 of our cats came to bed with me.  Starbuck is usually more of a daddy's kid but she came to bed and laid on my pillow grooming my face.  It was almost like she was trying to message my sinuses with her tongue..

Apollo climbed up on the side of me the was facing up and stayed there. He was laying on me purring.  He was still there hours later when hubby came to bed.  He normally just comes in for snuggles on and off throughout the night.  He does not wake me up though.

Sonny came and laid next to me and then eventually moved to his normal spot on the bottom of the bed.

Casey came and laid next to me for a little while.  Once I fell asleep Casey went and hung out with my hubby in the den.

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Beyond staying with the sick person, Sinbad is actually a sort of a little guard dog. I have chronic illness, and he does some amazing things. He knows when I'm about to have what I call a grey out. When he starts zipping around my ankles making a very particular meow (we call it the Sinbad Alarm
), I know it is time to sit down because otherwise I will fall down.

what a wonderful little guardian you have

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats stick near me when I'm sick but Isy, my girl who recently passed away, was the most amazing about it. I have several mental and physical health conditions and she always knew when they were getting bad, sometimes before I did. She'd meow at me and lead me to bed and then curl up right by head if I laid down and growl at anyone who tried to bother me. Half the time it was while I was busy with something and didn't realize how horrible I felt until I laid down. All through high school my parents said that was how they knew not to bother trying to get me to school, because if they came in to check why I hadn't gotten up yet she'd growl and puff up at them until they left me to sleep, but if I'd only overslept and wasn't sick she wouldn't. She'd spend all day with me and not even eat unless I got up sometimes--and this was a cat who regularly bit to wake people up if they slept past breakfast time.

Of my cats now Maya certainly gets the most worried and cuddly when I don't feel well but she's not protective like Isy was. If I don't get up at my usual time or don't look right she'll come up and lick all over my face. And I don't know if any of you have experienced that, but a rough kitty tongue licking your eyelids gets you up in a hurry. She's the honorary Momma Kitty of the bunch and will just cuddle and lick me and check on me all day. Zoey comes to check in every once in a while but other than that she's not too interested, and Aria will cuddle with me but just about has a heart attack if my boyfriend doesn't feel well. She's definitely a Daddy's girl.
Wow Isy was a very special girl. I am so sorry she is no longer with you 

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow!!! That is awesome!! And very unusual!! Robin has woken me up when I have sleep apnea, but I'm not certain he'd be able to alert me the way Sinbad does. You have a very talented cat!
Yeah, he is amazing.
He's done the same thing with fires, too. I've gotten distracted while cooking and wandered off forgetting the stove was on twice since we adopted them, and he's come to get me to put out a kitchen fire so that I've had them completely extinguished before the fire alarm has even gone off.

Isn't waking you up like alerting you?

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I replied this on the other thread but YES Macha is so sweet, loving and very caring.

When I am not feeling well, she'll give me love, kisses, massage my arm and of course purring non stop.

Then we cuddled and fell asleep together. Mia still very young but I am pretty sure once she grow up she would be like Macha.

Cats are very good sensing what we are feelings and they are always there for us.

lazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kaytu sticks around me regardless of whether I'm sick so I can't really tell, but Rigel definitely knows and pays more attention to me when I'm sick or upset. He comes to bed and curls up or stretches out against me. A couple of weeks ago I was very upset after I brought an injured wild bird to the vet and they killed it and then lied about its symptoms. I came home crying and just got in bed. Rigel came in straight away and got under the covers with me until I calmed down.

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Wow Isy was a very special girl. I am so sorry she is no longer with you 
Thank you. It's been 3 months but it's finally starting to get a little easier. Isy was my soul cat, not that I don't adore my other girls but I don't think anybody will ever be quite like her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oopsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Friday night I had a really bad sinus/headache/ migraine combo.  When I went to bed all 4 of our cats came to bed with me.  Starbuck is usually more of a daddy's kid but she came to bed and laid on my pillow grooming my face.  It was almost like she was trying to message my sinuses with her tongue..

Apollo climbed up on the side of me the was facing up and stayed there. He was laying on me purring.  He was still there hours later when hubby came to bed.  He normally just comes in for snuggles on and off throughout the night.  He does not wake me up though.

Sonny came and laid next to me and then eventually moved to his normal spot on the bottom of the bed.

Casey came and laid next to me for a little while.  Once I fell asleep Casey went and hung out with my hubby in the den.
Love the names - I loved BSG!

So nice to read about people's sweet kitties. I love the way they look after us.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Love the names - I loved BSG!

So nice to read about people's sweet kitties. I love the way they look after us.
Thanks.  Glad you caught the reference to BSG.  Hubby and I are fans.  Starbuck and Apollo are both named based on the show.  I have had a lot of people refer to Starbuck as being named after coffee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oopsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never would have thought of coffee! Even though I drink it there all the time. Starbuck will always be Katie Sackhoff to me. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow.  I actually don't know.  I've had Hekitty for seven years now, and outside of a few colds and headaches, I've never been sick since I've had her in my life.  Well...wait.  I did have a knee injury, and she laid by my knee a lot, purring to beat the band.  Doctor said he was shocked at how quickly I healed at my age.  I think it was the purr therapy.  Read an article about that some time back.  Seems the purr sets up an ultrasound thingy that promotes healing.  I do know that cats only purr in the presence of others, if they are injured, or when kittening. 

lazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thanks.  Glad you caught the reference to BSG.  Hubby and I are fans.  Starbuck and Apollo are both named based on the show.  I have had a lot of people refer to Starbuck as being named after coffee.
I would like to also add my appreciation of the awesome names! BSG was one of my favorite shows, too. I only wish Caprica had worked out!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky always did - of course, he was always by me regardless :) Haven't gotten really sick *knock on wood* since I've gotten the kittens or Penelopy, so not sure what they would do. Sara and Maple never come by when I'm sick, lol.