Do your cats know their names?

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if your cats really know their names? I mean do they come when called, like a dog? Sherman is really the only one that will answer me when I say his name. The others, well they come to anything

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zissou knows her name...sort of. She comes to an alveolar click or a bilabial click, her name, or that certain voice that women use when speaking to babies/animals (at least mine). If she feels like it. The only way to really get her to come when called is to ring the bells on her favorite toy.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep!! I rarely have to call "kitty, kitty"!

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tiger knows his name. Sometimes when I call him, his ears turn to me and he looks at me out of the corner of his eye, but ignores me.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do indeed, they also know their nicknames.
Generally though, it doesn't matter, Spaz and Cassi come when they are called, Vash will come occasionally.

Shadow does not, Ivory does not, and Trouble will answer, but not come unless he needs cuddles.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Penelope definitely knows her name and she comes whenever I call her. I'm not sure if Molly knows her name, however.

releko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
darwin and parker both know their names. they also respond to all of their nicknames too.
i think anything w/ a D in it Darwin responds to and anything w/ a P in it Parker responds to. and the BF and I have a TON of nicknames for our boys.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Do they know their names? Yes, definitely. Do they come when called? That just depends on their mood and what I have to offer.
Bingo!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup, they know their names. I call their name and they look at me, then it's up to them whether they come or not (if I have a treat, Willow and Molly will come running, but Buffy will pause, think for a bit, then meander over). Jake, my dog, also knows each of their names as well. "Willowwwww" produces minimal response (he doesn't really care for her because she doesn't really DO anything), "Buffy!" makes him scrabble to his feet and come racing to me and will look in the direction that I'm looking. "Molly!" will produce the same response as above but in a slower fashion, with a wagging tail, and when he sees Molly he'll jog over to her give her sniffs along her chin and back.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes my cats know their names....and i have tested it before by saying similar names and seeing if they respond....like for Monkey I will say Money....donkey...onkey...lol but she looks at me like I am crazy!! its really funny I call my Monkey ...Monk and Monkster....and she will respond differenltly to that, than when I just call her Monkey....

Same thing with Lemur...I call her Lemur Bunny and she knows that is when I want to hold her......

sheffieldlass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes pisces defo knows his name, he has heard it alot longer than most cats have tho. he also knows i call him puddy cat & he will respond to that also, i've tryed other names out on him, a few weeks after i got him i wanted to change his name to mr lynx but he just wouldnt take to it. it was like he was saying i like my original name so please stick with that!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reilly comes when I call his name but he also responds to "baby"