Do your cats know any words?

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Miss Kitty knows:
Hungry? (she meows back)
Come here (if you pat the spot next to you)

Zoe knows:
NO (she stops doing what she's doing)
Get Down (she gets off the counter/shelf/fridge, what ever she shouldn't be on)
You'd better run!! (she gets out of what she's into)
Good kitty (she perks up and looks pleased w/ herself)

They both know:
Food time (they run to the cabinet where the food is)
Treats (they meow and beg)
Where's daddy? (only if daddy is gone..they go to the door)
Her name

Hate to say it, but Zoe's the smarter of the two. Miss Kitty is better behaved, but Zoe knows more words and gets into more stuff.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just had to add one more word that Baylee knows and that I'm teaching Jordan... "kiss". It means, to me, to touch noses and Baylee will do it 99% of the time and Jordan's already learning, lol!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its so neat to see our kitties learn human words.

Ebony knows her name, no, and dinner. Its so funny when I say "do you want dinner Ebony?" She'll squak at me until the moment I get up until I put her food down in front of her.

Lilly doesn't really comprehend much of anything. some days i think she knows her name, other days i think she is clueless.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Princess and Patsy know lots of words. They both know their names, nicknames, they know my name, come here, good kitty/girl, bad kitty/girl, "It's time to go night night", treat, and kitty dinner time. I say "show me what you want" and they will take me right to what they want. If I say "Look" and point to something that's their clue to attack. They often will have "conversations" with me. They have no problem telling me what they want. Princess also knows "let's go bye-bye". If I say that to her she will run to the door and put her paws around the knob and wait for me to pick her up to go visit my Grandparents. Then when she's visiting I ask her "Do you want ot go home?" and if she's ready she will come up to me meow and walk to the door. If she isn't I just get a dirty look. There are more but I can't think of them right now because it's just like second nature to talk to them and get an answer. Princess can even show me what kind of wet cat food she wants before its opened. I just open the cabinet door and ask her what kind she wants and she walks over and taps the can she wants. I know it's not memory of which flavor is where becasue I've mixed them up several time to see and she will always goes to a different spot.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Words? Just words? Mine all know "I'm going to bed, Red Cat (or Purdy or Sheba) if you want to come with me." (They usually run upstairs ahead of me or head for the bedroom if I'm already upstairs.) And they know "I'm in bed, Red Cat (or Purdy or Sheba)"

Words or shorter phrases one or more of them know are:

Their name and the others' names
No!
Down!
Back door
Go get 'em (go chase a gull or crow off the deck)
Use box (accompanied by taps on the clean litterbox if others are dirty and Red Cat is upset, since he won't use a dirty box)
Pet?
Comb?
Jump! (into my lap)
Kibbles
Treat
Here kitty, kitty, kitty (means food or treat)
Go, go, go Red Cat (or Purdy or Sheba), go (means to chase one of the other cats in play)
Out
In or out? (while they are hesitating in the door. Red Cat usually makes a quick decision, as he knows he'll get a gentle boot in the butt if he doesn't.)

I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gracie knows the word "yummies" (our word for treats) and lettuce (one of her favorite treats). Katie knows "where's my baby," and comes running when I say it. All three of them know the word "out" means they get to outside on the porch.

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I say, "dinner!" Guin normally comes running.... I even say this at breakfast time and he will still come pounding into the kitchen!

But, the best one has to be when I say, "catnip!" in a really, really silly voice. Just the anticipation of getting some catnip sends him over the edge. He will start sticking his bum in the air and then roll over all soppily and purr like mad until I give him his treat!

Other words that he knows are, No, BamBam, monkey bum, bye bye (when I say "byebye" when I leave for work he sometimes runs to the front door and flops in front of it!") and there's prolly loads more but I can't remember now

boys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my 3 obiously know their names,but they know *out* or a finger click,they know its bedtime,we dont let them stay in the lounge at night,and 1 of them has to sleep with us cause barnaby beats up poor reggie at night,