Do your cats go through affection phases?

growlithe66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I am wondering if anyone else's cats do this. One of mine in particular, Boots, seems to go through phases with his personality. He is typically extremely loving and acts more like a dog, loves sleeping with me, always rubbing his face on my chin, answers when I talk to him, etc. However sometimes for weeks or so he is much more aloof and everytime I try to hold him, he leaves. Is this normal? I'm assuming cats are just like people in this sense, but my other two are pretty consistent in personality.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think it's very typical. Cats can get their feelings hurt, just like people. They will lick their lips when it happens. Mingo has been very affectionate recently while I've been laid up with a sprained knee, but yesterday, I was trying to write a post and pushed him away when he was trying to climb on my shoulder. That really did hurt his feelings, and he's been stand-offish ever since. I've been trying to apologize, but he's not going for it.

When they get like this, it helps to make a special time for them to play with a toy. That will sometimes turn them around.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitten certainly does.   While she always wants to be around me ( Siamese and all), sometimes she wants to snuggle (mostly against my legs) me a lot, and others, she just wants me nearby while she interacts with the environment.  

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When its cold my cat loves to snuggle. When its warmer she will lay about 3 feet from me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk