Do your cats follow you into the bathroom?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all of your cats are related to most of mine!!! Ox never comes in bathroom. Grizzly once in a while. Bobber-maybe one a week. But I trained Bakker well to take over Sheba's duties.!!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only do all three of mine follow me into the bathroom, when I take a bath they insist on sitting on the side of the tub, or trying to lay on my chest while I'm in the bath. One of them even get's in the back of the tub while I shower, at least until he gets wet. Once when I just wanted some piece & quite I closed them out of the bathroom, you should have heard them it was like I was torturing them.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've been in the bathroom alone since I got Princess (my first). She HAS to come in when ever I go. I don't even bother closing the door because she will just open it and let herself in. She LOVES to watch the toilet flush. As soon as I get up Princess will put her paws on the seat to watch and make sure everything goes down the drain OK. Princess and Patsy both take turns guarding the shower while I'm in it. As soon as I open the door they have to "help" me by licking the shower dry. On the rare occasion I take a bath they both will either sit on the edge and watch. Princess likes to swat at the bubbles. Patsy will wait until I stand up to get out and as the water drains out she will hop in to check it out. The water doesn't bother her at all.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CJ and Billy love to follow me into the bathroom. CJ does it more when I have to USE the bathroom, and I always kick her out because she's so annoying!!!
Billy will sit outside the door when I'm in the bathroom, and lay there until I get out, and when I sit down somewhere else, he comes up and gives me this, "MEOW!" as if saying, "What were you doing in there? How come I couldn't come?" CJ will ABSOLUTELY NOT follow me in when I'm taking a shower. She hates it! Billy, however, will follow me in, and then every once in a while, jump in with me. Of course, he'll jump right back out, but, he does it a few times when he wants to jump in.

My cats are weird!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by portdevoix

I didn't know there was such a thing as a cat that doesn't follow humans into the bathroom...

I keep the litterbox in the bathroom, so that door is NEVER closed.

ekseabolt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bam-bam follows me to the bathroom every night at bathtime and chases his tail. Round and round! His eyesight is not the best and it is so funny to watch him sneak up on his tail before he pounces on it! And Sam waits until I close the door and I am in the tub to stand and scratch the door until I let him in!

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made the mistake of closing the door when I took a shower the other day, leaving Limerick out in the living room. he cried and cried, I was forced to hurry up with my shower. I actullay got a phone call from my landlord asking if everything was ok. Apparently my neighbor called thinking he had gotten hurt or something. It wasn't funny then, but now I laugh.
Now I call my boyfriend to come over and "enterain" Limerick while I take a shower. He doesn't mide, it's a lot quieter here then at his place, most of the time.

carly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh wow, i had no idea this was normal!!
one of my cats always follows me in.. if i lock the door she nuts it and miaows till i open up.. then she'll purr and rub herself around my legs.
but my other cat only follows my mother in.. which is odd.
they both seem to have their favourite.
when the toilet roll gets pulled off, they know its time to leave. the flushing of the toilet scares them!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After having the distinct pleasure of sharing my life (all 45 years of it) and my home with cats, I have come to the conclusion that for cats, pottying is an almost social event.

In feral colonies, if you have ever been able to watch them interact with each other, if one goes to the potty area, a bunch of others come by to say hello and sort of keep watch out for the one pottying. A few will even come right on in and help the pottying cat dig and cover.

My husband would be horribly embarrassed if I were ever to post it so I won't, but there exists a picture of my last litter of kittens, born Oct. 3, where all 5 of them are bundled up in my hubby's underwear (around his knees) like they were laying in a hammock soaking up the sun and sipping pina coladas on a beach somewhere.

Even for guests in my home, there is no trip to the bathroom left unaccompanied. Lexus is the worst offender. Our door does latch, but we purposely don't latch it. Lex enjoys "knocking down the door", strolling in as if she owned the place and making an annoyance of her little self. She also likes to help you unroll the toilet tissue and of course, adores watching the water go down the hole. Her little brown head actually starts making a circular motion as she observes. She is a terror, that one.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

After having the distinct pleasure of sharing my life (all 45 years of it) and my home with cats, I have come to the conclusion that for cats, pottying is an almost social event.

In feral colonies, if you have ever been able to watch them interact with each other, if one goes to the potty area, a bunch of others come by to say hello and sort of keep watch out for the one pottying. A few will even come right on in and help the pottying cat dig and cover.

My husband would be horribly embarrassed if I were ever to post it so I won't, but there exists a picture of my last litter of kittens, born Oct. 3, where all 5 of them are bundled up in my hubby's underwear (around his knees) like they were laying in a hammock soaking up the sun and sipping pina coladas on a beach somewhere.

Originally Posted by carly

oh wow, i had no idea this was normal!!
one of my cats always follows me in.. if i lock the door she nuts it and miaows till i open up.. then she'll purr and rub herself around my legs.
That's just what CJ and Billy do!

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine follow me in, it's a daily ritual in the morning. Hammie, Zorro and Snickers, my three boycats, always follow me into the bathroom and seem to like the sound of the shower. Hammie of course only wants to drink from the sink (or toilet). Zorro actually has his 'spot' on the carpet near the shower door, I have to step over his lumpy butt just to get to a towel. And Snicky just wants to be near me always!

The only girlcat who enters the bathroom is Dusty... and she only goes in there if my lil girl goes with her.

Another thing I noticed with Hammie... he likes to stare into the mirror, back at me. He does this half-eyes-closed thing and just stares lovingly at me. For the LONGEST time! Butt in air, eyes all loving and just staring at momma.

ranger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL I get the staring over the edge of the bath too, which also makes me jump. Peacefully reading a book and this head pops up beside me. Baths do mostly get crowded- the boys both have to sit on the side of the bath, preferably with tails IN the water, and Mitz sulks if there aren't bubbles to lick. Vicket gets up onto the cabinet beside the bath and dabs at me until I pet her, since I'm a captive audience, and Jazzie currently sits on the floor beside the bath and complains that she's too small to climb up and join in. I hope she doesn't turn out to be a bath addict too or I'm going to need a bigger bath.

kitty_lady48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oreo always follows me. Izzy is there most of the time. Princess is too smart because she knows this is the only room I can catch her in. Smokey usually keeps his distance from Oreo becasue Oreo keeps harrassing him.

miyas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! Miya follows me into the bathroom probably 90% of the time. Sometimes, though, she will close the bathroom door on me. When I am taking a bath, she will come in, hop up and look at the water and then sniff my face. She won't go in (hates the water) but she will sit in the bathroom until I come out. She runs away the second I step out of the tub.