Do your cats act differently in different rooms?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yet another is Quincy weird thread...

I never noticed this with the other cats, but since Quincy acts so differently in different rooms, I now watch for it and do notice it in the other cats.

Quincy acts really differently in different rooms, in the bedroom, he is cute, cuddly and very laid back, even if we are not in there / not sleeping time. He will sleep with the other cats in there. But out in the livingroom, he turns into a crzy cat, he pounces on the other cats and runs around all the time. The bathroom seems to be his personal playroom and I am forever taking his toys out of the bathtub, he doesnt pounce on the other cats in there, however, and is happy to share - where he is aggressive over his toys when in the living room. Not enough to hurt the others, but he makes it clear that they are his and will chase the other cats away from them.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm, Quincy seems quite the character!
I've never noticed my two acting differently in different rooms. They act differently out in the building hall and outside, but that's to be expected. In their apartment they seem the same in every room.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep yep yep! Eden's snuggly in the bedroom or living room, but pouncy/playful in other rooms. Gumby's terrified of the kitchen/living room & has finally begun to slink through them after 8 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Yep yep yep! Eden's snuggly in the bedroom or living room, but pouncy/playful in other rooms. Gumby's terrified of the kitchen/living room & has finally begun to slink through them after 8 months.
Poor Gumby
I am glad its not just Quincy but I will reserve judgment on him being 'normal' until someone other than you experiences it, your cats can be un-normal too

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the cat behavior items I have read it is common.... Zoey definately does act different in different rooms as does Pj and Sylvie... It is related to alpha status and multiple cat homes have different status's in different areas

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, Siri is more tolerant on the bed - she knows that she better knock it off and share or I'm pushing her off. No one wants a cat fight on top of them.

Blasa interacts a tad more in the den and will meow, she's less likely to hide in there. (lack of bed to hide under, probably).

Other than that, not really. Mine are pretty consistent. I still don't have a clear alpha, though.

tico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes!! I thought I was crazy for thinking this!

Sophie settles down and is much more cuddly in my bedroom and the bathroom. She'll go off calmly and come back and snuggle on my chest or next to me in bed, if I'm reading, on my comp, or whatever...

In the living room, getting her to relax, even when I'm watching tv or reading on the couch takes for-ev-er..... and forget about snuggling - she'll sleep on over *there*, thank you very much!. If she goes beserk in any room, its there. I wonder also if it may have to do with the fact that there are no rules in the bedroom (nothing to stay off of, to not scratch, etc). Whereas in the living room/kitchen, she is persistent about trying to do the few things she's not allowed to do. It's like brain's going, "Persist and do not desist!"

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fatman is pretty dominant in the bedroom especially over the dresser, closet and bed. Those are pretty well determined as his spaces. The cat room however is the demon duos space they repeatedly will just lay in there and play and like to chase Fatman out of there. The living room however is the dogs area so they all like to stay up high in their windows or on the back of the couch behind either me of BF and hide there and sleep. GiGi has her own space in the bathroom. When Bf goes in there to take a shower she likes to run in ahead of him and jump on the toilet and pretend to sleep and she MUST be in there while hes doing his business or taking a shower. If shes not in there she will try and stuff herself under the door and cry like shes being murdered till he lets her in.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Xander seems to be the same everywhere but Riley acts different in the bathroom. Its the only time he gets cuddly and wants to be held, petted, etc.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm just going to begin by saying that you can feel free to send Quincy to me if he's too weird for you
. Not only will he fit in perfectly here, but I love him to bits

That being said, I do have a couple of cats that behave differently depending on the room that they're in. Cassidy is fairly consistent throughout the house. Not much phases her and she's the same behavior-wise whether she's in the bedroom or the living room. Emory is definitely more playful in the bathroom than other areas of the house. I am always picking toys out of the sink or bathtub and she is forever playing with the ties of my robe. She plays elsewhere as well, but she just loves the bathroom for some reason. Delaney is the same wherever she is with the exception of the bed. She is super cuddly and snuggly on the bed. And, Finnegan is fine in the bedroom, okay in the living and dining rooms, and even okay in the other bedrooms. But, he does not like the kitchen or the bathroom.

See? I told you Quincy would fit right in here with me and my crew
. They can all be weird together

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They only one that I've really noticed has a markedly different behavior in different rooms is Apollo. I've had that crazy cat for 2.5 years and he is still scared of me....unless I'm in the bathroom
When I'm in there he always comes in for pets. He can be in a dead sleep in my bedroom and he will get up and join me in the bathroom
any other room he runs from me

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

They only one that I've really noticed has a markedly different behavior in different rooms is Apollo. I've had that crazy cat for 2.5 years and he is still scared of me....unless I'm in the bathroom
When I'm in there he always comes in for pets. He can be in a dead sleep in my bedroom and he will get up and join me in the bathroom
any other room he runs from me
Well, if he's catching you on the toilet maybe it's because he knows you're defenseless? It's not like you could chase him down at that moment.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Well, if he's catching you on the toilet maybe it's because he knows you're defenseless? It's not like you could chase him down at that moment.
Maybe

Boomer and Quincy will appear out of nowhere to be in the bathroom with me too

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alison Joy

Well, I'm just going to begin by saying that you can feel free to send Quincy to me if he's too weird for you
. Not only will he fit in perfectly here, but I love him to bits
As much as he is weird and a pain in the butt, I am not giving him to anyone

Life would be boring without him

addicteddwarf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah my Ahri comes into the bedroom and she licks me, purrs on me, sleeps with me, sleeps on me, anything you can imagine that a cat can do to love you and let's you do anything with her(make her dance, play w her paws etc). Once we go downstairs she's 100 miles per hour, sometimes skiddish, never loves/cuddles, hides/attacks, gets into EVERYTHING lol.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Spencer and Katie do.

Spencer is a little tease when it comes to letting me pet and cuddle him.  In the living room he will sit on the back of the couch and let me pet him. Or he will roam around beside the couch and let me brush him.  In the bathroom he sits just out of my reach, or just so I can touch his head with the tip of my finger.  But he won't let me pick him up and hold him.    When I'm in bed, he comes and lays down beside me and let's me hug him and rub his neck, chest and belly.. He will lay on top of me for several minutes until I have to move him because he's heavy.

Katie will occasionally come to me in the living room and let me pet her. She will occasionally sit on top of me when I'm watching TV, but doesn't stay long.   In the bedroom she will stick around longer.

Abby is cuddly no matter what room she is in, so long as I'm there with her.  She's a senior kitty and all she wants to do at this age is sleep, eat, poop and cuddle, cuddle, cuddle.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I think because we sleep in the bedroom, cats see it as "Down time" and accept it. We're often active in other rooms.

My cats are the same way, they always want to play in the living room and relax in the bedroom