Do you worry about your home having that "kitty" smell?

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm always paranoid that my house smells because when I was a kid, we had too many cats (a few of the males sprayed because there were so many). So I know our house stunk really bad, although I couldn't smell it, since I lived there.

On Monday, though, Scot's parents were in town, and Scot's mom said, "I have to tell you, your house does not smell like cat." I said that I use good litter and clean the boxes frequently. Her BIL temporarily had his daughter's cat, Marble, because Marble's owners lost their house in Katrina. She said her BIL's house smelled. I don't think he's had a cat before, so my guess is he just didn't know how to keep the box clean.

But, yeah, I'm really paranoid and always asking my friends if it smells like cat. They always say no, but then I'm worried that they're just being nice.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do think about it, but I have a very sensitive nose, and I figure if I can't smell it when I walk in from outside, no one else will either. Yep, good litter and regular cleaning pretty much take the stink away.

I have been in people's homes that just reek of cat, and as soon as you see the litterbox you know why. Earl had a roommate for a while with one cat, and it smelled something awful, but she kept the litterbox in the bathroom and probably only scooped once a week if that?
Guests wouldn't be going through her medicine cabinet, that's for sure! You wanted out of that room as soon as possible!!!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not too worried about it, and I don't think it usually smells. Although the last 2 times we had company here Reilly went and dropped a huge "S" bomb in the box...my company noticed that!

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do worry about it. Probably too much. But like you all said..There's only so much one can do.
Mushi never covers his poop up, and if there there a hunk of poop in the box, he'll wait untill I take it out to go again..He's such a little stinker. He pooped in the bathtub this morning because I hadn't scooped for 2 days.
At least he knows where it's easy for me to clean it.

My next thing to buy for the smell is one them neat self scooping litter boxes.
But we live in sort of a small place, and I can smell it bad sometimes. But it doesnt take long to clean it up ya know? Scoop here, scrub there..and BA DAM!! no more smell!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never worry and I never ask.
I don't ever smell anything here and we live in an apartment (only for a few more weeks though!) and I have the litterbox in the bathroom and Sash's food is in the kitchen, although sometimes I bring it to him in the living room or bedroom if he prefers, so everything is relatively close and no smell.

Seriously though, if anyone would have a problem with the smell of my very clean and precious boy they would not be welcome in my house since Sash rules the roost here!

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisalee

Sash's food is in the kitchen, although sometimes I bring it to him in the living room or bedroom if he prefers
They do have us trained, don't they? After Nedicks was first diagnosed with bladder stones, I would sometimes follow her around with the dish of wet food.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

We have the smell and know it. So what?
Well said! I know Twitch always poops as soon as guests come over. If someone comments on it, I simply tell them "You try pooping in a box with people around!".

I do use sprays and a candle warmer, and a candle that works wonders on pet odors. My biggest concerns is the dogs. One dog always smells funny....even after getting professionally groomed! (her coat is short & thick, so holds odors well)

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have no kitty smell, minus when someone takes a big poop and we run over to scoop it. We use FreshStep Crystals and they smell great...so no smell for us at all.

I'm cat-sitting right now and they use clumping litter...man oh man, I remember that smell. I'm glad we switched!