Do You Watch Old/classic Movies?

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve seen a lot of old movies. Many were “classics.” Actually, I watch a lot of old movies lately. It’s not that I’m old enough to relate. I think it’s more of an escape. By old, I’m referring to movies made before 1970. Movies from the 80s or 90s could be conisdered “old” but I’m drawing my own line. Do you watch oldies? What genre(s) do you prefer?

Last edited:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love older movies. My favorites are An Affair to Remember, Pillow Talk, Gaslight, Holiday, Bringing Up Baby, Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, Arsenic and Old Lace, Desk Set, and Romance on the High Seas. The genres I usually like are usually romance, comedy, and drama.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve never seen Gaslight or Romance on the High Seas. I always seem to come in on Gaslight in the middle, so I end up not watching.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really the only movies I watch are the old ones. I like Alfred Hitchcock, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire Gene Kelley Spencer Tracey. I know I have left out some names. No westerns or war movies. Mostly romantic comedies or drama.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to like old movies, I really did. But I just can't. The fake Mid-Atlantic accents, the sexy baby voice many actresses affected, especially while singing, the old attitudes toward women and children and animals and minorities. . .idk, I just find them mostly distasteful.

Some are OK though. I do like The Sound of Music and some of the old musicals.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Yes ! That is all I watch . Vintage TV is good too. I like the old black & white stuff . Music from the "old days" is nice .

Lalexa67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love them! West side story, wizard of oz, sound of music, an affair to remember, vertigo...

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the old ones.

1. Mildred Pierce
  2. Stella Dallas
  3. Rebecca
  4. Suspicion
  5. Pennies from Heaven, talk about a tear jerker
  6. Casablanca
  7. Magnificent Obsession
  8. All that Heaven Allows
  9. Leave her to Heaven
  10. With Six You Get Egg Roll from the 60s so not so old
  11. Yours, Mine and Ours also from the 60s

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never seen Gaslight or Romance on the High Seas. I always seem to come in on Gaslight in the middle, so I end up not watching.
Gaslight is amazing. It's thrilling and suspenseful without all the special effects that thrillers today are full of. I'd go as far as saying it's a cinematic masterpiece because of that.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are quite a few classics that I watch if I notice they're being shown. Sunset Boulevard, Born Yesterday, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, The Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins, Breakfast at Tiffany's, My Fair Lady, Suddenly Last Summer....Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen all the movies you guys mentioned and I love them all. Bette Davis is my favorite. I like the serious romance movies the best. I do like technicolor musicals too.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I love all the old movies from the 40's, some in the 50's, and a very few from the early 60's.....
Also, a very few from the later 30's... all talkies...

From: Abbott & Costello, to Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Myrna Loy, a ton of them, Gregory Peck, all the classic Christmas Movies.. love them... ...

I have a lot on DVD..

I wish Turner Classics was really Classics, they are now having a lot of films from the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's..

I have given it up, sigh... because it was part of a sports package with Comcast. I am not into sports... and trying to economize... I cannot see spending an extra $10 a month for a channel which does not carry all the classics... only occasionally..
and when TCM DOES run it's classics; it is on at a time when I am sleeping or during the day.. Not in MY prime time. It seems to focus on Pacific Standard Time, prime time....

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are some elements that one might find objectionable, given the period in which the films were made. I sometimes make mental notes of these things while I'm watching. On the other hand, it can be educational to observe the changes that have occurred in movies and in society.
I'm kind of history-oriented and I took a few film history and appreciation courses in college, so the history of movie making interests me.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I love old movies. Right now, I'm watching The Prisoner of Zenda, the one with Deborah Kerr, Tyrone Powers and James Mason. I love Deborah Kerr. Great actress! I think almost everything she was in was good! I also love many of the movies mentioned in this thread. I like some modern movies, but I have been so regularly disappointed that I haven't been in a movie theater since 1985. I wait until I can see them on TV.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Psycho!!!

(I mean, psycho the Hitchcock movie, I'm not calling anyone here psycho) =D

Also, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Rosemary's Baby, and a lesser known one that no one seems to have ever heard of but me is "So Long at the Fair". If you've never heard of it, here's a C/P from wiki-google machine or whatever it's called:

"The 1889 Paris Exposition serves as the backdrop for this eerie mystery, in which English tourist Vicky (Jean Simmons) and her brother, Johnny (David Tomlinson), visit the fair and retire to their separate hotel rooms for the night. When Vicky wakes in the morning, not only is Johnny missing, but his entire room has vanished. Inquiring about her brother's whereabouts, Vicky grows increasingly disturbed when the hotel manager (Cathleen Nesbitt) insists that Johnny was never there at all."

Sounds creepy, right?!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, pushing 100 years old and it will never be out done. Consider the time (1939!) Those effects and make up and all of it was just so damn outstanding.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you ever try listening to Dark side of the Moon, while watching The Wizard of Oz?
Anyway, that movie has always been disturbing to me on some level. I don’t why. Maybe a house fell on me in my last life.
Seriously though, there is something about it. I can’t watch it.