Do You Vaccinate Your Cats?

ericss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten has had 2 Feline Rhinotracheitis-Calici-Panleukopenia Vaccine shots.

Killed virus shots... My breeder said to make sure they are never given live virus vaccinations.

Not sure where to go from here though...

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
first set and up-to-date while they're young.

rabies boosters every couple years as an adult

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Only rabies and only because it is legally required. Jack is an only cat and an indoor kitty and I'm not concerned that he is going to catch anything from another animal.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Odo is about 13 years old, and he's done with vaccines. He had at least one round at the shelter (probably more in his younger years before he ended up as a wanderer and was taken to the shelter). I don't feel that vaccinating older indoor kitties is necessary, especially if they've had vaccines earlier in life. They aren't exposed to much, and the risks outweigh the benefits. I don't believe in vaccinating sick cats, and many older cats have declining organ function due to the aging process.

With Zek, I won't do more than once every three years, if we can figure out why his white cell count has been so high. He had some vaccines at the shelter, so he's not due for any. He's only about 2 years old, so I may do additional shots (particularly the upper respiratory vaccines) in a couple of years and then spread them out over time. While both Odo and Zek are indoor only, I may end up taking Zek outside on a harness and leash, so the vaccines may prove useful.

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I vaccinate them. I'm a relatively new kitty owner, so right now I do what the vet suggests in terms of maintaining their health.....thanks for the link, so I can be more informed, and maybe bring up concerns to the vet next time they are due for their shots.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I make sure my cats are vaccinated for the right diseases. Around here, leukemia, the respiratory disease complexes, rabies and FIV are all endemic and my cats are vaccinated against them. It is VERY important to me that my cats are protected. How often? Not every year. I gave them their first shots and boosters, and then once the following year. I vacc them every three years thereafter. My cats go outside so I am careful to keep them on a schedule.

I lost my older cat to fibrosarcoma. It appeared shortly after a rabies vaccine. My town required me to vaccinate him for it yearly, I am still kicking myself for not trusting my instincts and just paying the fine.

emchelle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by saya

first set and up-to-date while they're young.

rabies boosters every couple years as an adult
Our kitties are indoors-only and never boarded or in any contact with other cats.