Do you vaccinate an indoor cat?

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We do rabies and distemper. Our cat does not get around other cats at all and is an only cat. I have his vaccines done separately - different vet visits. He is not a door dasher, but you never know if he might accidentally get out. Distemper is highly contagious. Buddy does go out on our screen porch and we live close to a nature conservancy with lots of wildlife.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

js12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!!

Funny thing is, I still don’t know what to do. I just spoke to a woman down the block who had a Ragdoll for 18 years. She told me they are EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to vaccines and she does not recommend that I vaccinate him.

Still thinking this one through..

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had ragdoll cats you want to vaccinate them talk to your vet about all concerns you have if your vet is hard core by the book find another vet who will listen to your concerns I say this now because if she won't listen to your concerns about vaccines what makes you think she will listen to your concerns if and when your cat is sick and needs medications that you kay want to avoid and try a different medicine.. just a suggestion

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get my indoor kitties their first series of shots and rabies, then I don't vaccinate again. My vet says that we can titer if needed to check levels and vaccinate again if needed.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!!

Funny thing is, I still don’t know what to do. I just spoke to a woman down the block who had a Ragdoll for 18 years. She told me they are EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to vaccines and she does not recommend that I vaccinate him.

Still thinking this one through..
If you're uncomfortable, schedule the vaccine appointment first thing in the morning on a day that everyone will be home, so if there is a reaction in any way, the vet is open and everyone is home to notice it so there's no scrambling to find an emergency after hours vet.
I have done titer tests. They are more expensive, and not every vet offers them, but they are my preference for older cats or cats that have health issues (allergies, autoimmune, etc.)

FurryMonsters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to point out that my cat's reaction did not occur until after a few days, it does not have to be immediate.
I think your decision will depend on legal requirements and rabies status where you live. I didn't have to worry about rabies, as it's extremely rare in the UK (may or may not be present in some bats) and there have not been any cases in terrestrial animals for many years. The rabies vaccine is not normally offered here unless it's for travel abroad. However, if there's rabies in your area, this may influence your decision. All I will say is that if your cat never goes out and never gets in contact with other animals (and that's a big IF), there are no health benefits to vaccinating, but there is a health risk.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just wanted to point out that my cat's reaction did not occur until after a few days, it does not have to be immediate.
I think your decision will depend on legal requirements and rabies status where you live. I didn't have to worry about rabies, as it's extremely rare in the UK (may or may not be present in some bats) and there have not been any cases in terrestrial animals for many years. The rabies vaccine is not normally offered here unless it's for travel abroad. However, if there's rabies in your area, this may influence your decision. All I will say is that if your cat never goes out and never gets in contact with other animals (and that's a big IF), there are no health benefits to vaccinating, but there is a health risk.
Very true, FurryMonsters FurryMonsters . I'm very curious what reactions your cat had after a few days time? I've seen some immediate and delayed reactions, usually mild, but not always.
J js12 Table of Rabies Vaccination Laws | Animal Legal & Historical Center
Check your state. If there is any reaction, you might be able to get a medical exemption for life.

FurryMonsters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even the most holistic vets insist on one frcvp when they’re over 16 weeks old and then getting a titre. I do 2 as a kitten (one after 16 weeks) and then one year booster in case it didn’t take. But I don’t plan on revaccinating. Maybe if I ever take in a stray in the future. Some suggest not vaccinating with Felv at all, this seems to be the one breeders are afraid of. I did it anyway. My part ragdoll did fine with it. I didn’t separate it from other vaccines with timing either.

I’d do a Purevax rabies, too. Just because state laws vary. In my state, as long as they’ve ever had one- if they’re ever exposed to a bat they just allow them to get a booster. I do live in the forest with a lot of bats around, but not much rabies. You can do this at a different time than other vaccines if it makes you feel comfortable. I did mine at the same time as other vaccines without trouble. I had them redo it with his one year booster, too. I may or may not redo it when he turns 5.

In some states, they euthanize or quarantine your cat if they’re found with a bat and aren’t up to date. If I lived in one of those states, I’d keep up to date.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's best to vaccinate, if the cat is able to take the vaccine.

My Tigger is currently unvaccinated this year, as when it was vaccine time she was too poorly to take the vaccine, and the vet said it could overload her immune system if he gave her it. She's bouncing back though and will be having her vaccine on the 29th.

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's best to vaccinate, if the cat is able to take the vaccine.

My Tigger is currently unvaccinated this year, as when it was vaccine time she was too poorly to take the vaccine, and the vet said it could overload her immune system if he gave her it. She's bouncing back though and will be having her vaccine on the 29th.
If your vet is vaccinating yearly, they’re going against official guidelines. Cats don’t need yearly vaccines.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your vet is vaccinating yearly, they’re going against official guidelines. Cats don’t need yearly vaccines.
your source?

Every vet I have used has vaccinated every year (I'm in the UK, I'm guessing your in the USA, but here in the UK vets will vaccinate every year in my experience)

A previous cat of mine (my angel Ebony) she literally *had* to have vaccines every year, as her health conditions made it hard for her. She could get sick at the drop of a hat, likely not helped by the fact she had been on the streets with kittens and when she was picked up by rescue she had several things wrong and the vet said she would never live a normal life due to everything she had wrong with her, vet thought she would not live beyond 2 years, she survived 4 years with me, cause I did my best to keep her up to date with everything and kept her on the medications the vet had her on, even then I feared coming home every day cause I was certain I would get in from work and find her on the floor, no longer with me (if you get my meaning)

I miss her still

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom has a ragdoll and she vaccinated on schedule through the kitten series. She’s become a bit of a door dasher as an adult. My mom wishes she could keep her inside, but she isn’t fast enough.

Mine was let out by a pet sitter and was missing overnight. He hasn’t been outdoors since I got him 2 years ago! I was sure happy he’d been vaccinated, one less thing to worry about. We do have a lot of outdoor cats roaming our neighborhood and wildlife.