Do you vaccinate an indoor cat?

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
your source?

Every vet I have used has vaccinated every year (I'm in the UK, I'm guessing your in the USA, but here in the UK vets will vaccinate every year in my experience)

A previous cat of mine (my angel Ebony) she literally *had* to have vaccines every year, as her health conditions made it hard for her. She could get sick at the drop of a hat, likely not helped by the fact she had been on the streets with kittens and when she was picked up by rescue she had several things wrong and the vet said she would never live a normal life due to everything she had wrong with her, vet thought she would not live beyond 2 years, she survived 4 years with me, cause I did my best to keep her up to date with everything and kept her on the medications the vet had her on, even then I feared coming home every day cause I was certain I would get in from work and find her on the floor, no longer with me (if you get my meaning)

I miss her still
https://wsava.org/wp-content/upload...ical-guide-for-vets-in-the-UK-Michael-Day.pdf this is from the UK.

Im so sorry, an ill pet is an awful thing to experience. A sickly cat shouldn’t be vaccinated according to official guidelines either.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
https://wsava.org/wp-content/upload...ical-guide-for-vets-in-the-UK-Michael-Day.pdf this is from the UK.

Im so sorry, an ill pet is an awful thing to experience. A sickly cat shouldn’t be vaccinated according to official guidelines either.
in Ebony's case, the vaccines were heling to keep her stable

they had done everything they could for her when they took her in and then placed her with us, we knew she wouldn't have a normal lifespan

will look at the link now

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is separated based on low risk and high risk.
in Ebony's case, the vaccines were heling to keep her stable

they had done everything they could for her when they took her in and then placed her with us, we knew she wouldn't have a normal lifespan

will look at the link now

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They do separate based on high risk cats and low risk cats. So if yours is outdoors a lot around other cats, it may be different than if it were indoor only. I was only speaking to indoor cats.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe the frequency of vaccination depends on the vacciene itseslf defensor 3 is good for 3 years which is part of why my vet uses it.

Last edited:

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m in the UK and whilst my vet practice does send out reminders for annual vaccinations the actual vet I see for all 4 of mine says it isn’t necessary. Mine are indoors however so that could be a reason.
Rabies is rare over here and I know a lot of other pet owners that don’t yearly vaccinate so I don’t think it’s known as necessary here