Do you use your Good Things?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been giving away my "good" stuff to other family members of late. I gave my grandmother's china to my niece last year, and am holding onto the sterling silver for my other niece as a wedding present to her (if she ever gets married). A few years ago I gave away another set of china to DH's niece for a wedding present. When I gave away the china, I realized I no longer needed my china cabinet (also "good") and am cleaning it up to sell. I also have a good set of cutlery that I will sell (remnants from a previous marriage).

I have very good clothes from when I worked, but have lost so much weight that they no longer fit, nor do I have an excuse to wear all of it. I'm still pondering the best way to dispose of an entire walk in closet full of clothes.

Other than the clothes, I never really used the good stuff. Too much fuss hand washing it and no family nearby to use it with. It's become no more than clutter to me.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom had good china, crystal and silver but we used it every Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, family birthdays, etc. Pretty much anytime we ate in the dinning room it all came out. We always had a beautifully set table and linen table cloths and napkins (oh, I have them too). I have her crystal but I sold the china and silver after she passed away. I would like to get my own china and silver but DH's family is very casual and would probably think I was "putting on airs" if I had a formal sit down dinner. Plus I don't have room for a dinning room table that seats that many. I do have "good" table cloths that I use very infrequently, mainly because any table cloth, good or not, ends up on the floor after 5 minutes thanks to the kitties

I do have my grandmother's silver service (teapot, creamer, sugar bowl and tray) that sits on my buffet and REALLY needs polished. I've never used it though. In fact, I don't know if they even can be used. Other than in movies I've never seen anyone use one.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

You know that after my aunt's death, the responsibility of cleaning out her apartment fell to my sister and me. Well, we've found gorgeous pajamas and robes, with tags never removed. Beautiful blankets that have never been used. Beautiful towel sets that were never used. Pretty jewelry that we know she never wore. Bowls and dishes and gorgeous glasses that were never taken out of the box. She was saving it all for a special time, I guess.

But sometimes, those special times never happen. And what a shame it is. She never got to wear those beautiful pajamas and nightgowns. Never got to use her pretty towels and pillowcases.
That may not be the case at all. My mom was like that. For example, when I was finally able to, I would buy her stuff like good new towels, etc., and she would put them away and continue to use the old ones. She wasn't waiting for a special time, she just didn't want to use them and wear them out. She never had much nice stuff in her life, because of not having much money, and when she did get something she preferred to put it away and know she had it than to use it and maybe not ever get anything nice again. I used to tell her, if you wear those out, I'll buy you more! But she was right in a way, because I've gotten to a point in my life where I can't just go out and do stuff like that anymore.

As for me, I use what I have, but I do have some good table clothes and stuff that people have made for me (embroidered) that I have put away and don't use for fear of ruining them.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

We have some nice stuff we use for special occasions, such as the china set Dottie bought while we were engaged. Yes, some of the pieces are now chipped.

We have two sets of good silverware. One set belonged to Dottie's mother, and before that, her grandmother. One set I bought on e-bay. Nice stuff.

By the way, ladies, let me recommend that you check for a set of silverware on e-bay. It's something really nice, and you would be surprised at how little you might spend. I've seen many virtually unused 12-place setting silver sets going for less than $100. Why? Because so many women in the 20's, 30's, and 40's bought the sets for their "hope chest" and never got around to using them. I helped a friend buy a set for about $110 that had never even been unwrapped!

An example: Rogers Silver set 12-place setting $134 Buy it Now
Thanks for posting this! I've seen many great silverware deals on eBay, too.

My "good" silver (really silverplate) is the Heraldic pattern, made in 1916. I think it may have been rather common for new brides then, but it's very well-made by today's standards, I think. My MIL gave it to me a few years ago. It was her MIL's wedding gift in 1921, which I just love having. She (the original owner) even had a hand-written list of the pieces in the original silverware box. Ebay is a great place to find replacement pieces for your silverware (I suppose china, as well). I can get the missing pieces for my set on eBay, and they seem quite reasonable in price.

Here's a pic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1847-Rogers-Silv...item5641cbde1b