Do You Use Shelf Paper?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do you use shelf paper on your shelves, in your drawers, etc? I know people who use newspaper; my mother used to put newspaper in her kitchen cabinets. I have shelf paper in our kitchen cabinets and in bureau drawers.

What do you all use? Anything in particular?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shelf paper is in all my cabinets, kitchen, laundry room, two baths. It was put there before we moved. By the time we actually moved in, most of my dishes were waiting in the cabinets. That was the 18th of January 2003. I have replaced some of it in my pantry which has a total of four shelves. I have huge turn tables in two corner cabinets below on each side next to the stove. They are just wipe clean and it needs it a lot. No paper there.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I have shelf paper in cabinets and drawers. I use a non-stick contact paper.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I put down shelf paper when I moved into my last apartment. It was a pain to line up..

This apartment I used the semi-self stick roll.. It is worthless.. Now, when it pulls up, I just put down some paper towels.. easy.. and I can just throw them out..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one cabinet shelf with a rubber-mesh type liner. The cabinet under the sink has a hard plastic liner. I don't like the adhesive paper type stuff because the paper never comes off:headshake: Unless that has since changed. I just remember the Con-Tact adhesive liners Mom used when I was a kid.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the purpose of shelf paper? So you can pick it up and replace it instead of wiping the shelf? I thought it was just to look pretty but obviously not if some people use newspaper and paper towels! I have some of the flowery Contact adhesive paper on some of my shelves but I didn't put it there.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's to protect the shelf and drawer bottoms. Partially to prevent scratches and partially so that if gunk builds up you just replace the shelf paper instead of scrubbing/damaging the wood or having to replace the wood. My great grandmother was very firm on it because "it's cheaper to replace some newspaper then replace the wood."

We have contact paper in cabinets and drawers of our RV so it maintains resell value better. The house does in drawers because it is easier to replace the paper once a year to clean up the dust, crumbs and whatever that collect in them. The cabinets in the house had it but my Mom took them out a few years ago. I think she secretly wants a reason to replace the cabinets.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have cute contact paper in my pantry for that exact reason Kieka Kieka . This rental is half new and half old, and has the new cabinet bottoms which are almost made to be replaced. They're crap. So I didn't bother putting any contact paper there. They're so thin that the previous tenant tried to put cup hooks to hang down, and they jutted right through. :rolleyes3:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do use shelf paper in all kitchen cabinets, i dont in the bathrooms. Just seems cleaner, i don't know :) I grew up with it, my mom always used contact paper in all the cabinets and drawers.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you use shelf paper on your shelves, in your drawers, etc? I know people who use newspaper; my mother used to put newspaper in her kitchen cabinets. I have shelf paper in our kitchen cabinets and in bureau drawers.

What do you all use? Anything in particular?
Funny you brought up this topic. Last week I decided to clean out the spice drawer and discovered that the newspaper I'd put down as a liner was dated 1999! :paperbag: I guess I was a little overdue for a clean out. :lol:

IMG_4606.jpg

I like the rubber mesh type liner, too. In fact that's my project for this weekend, putting down new shelf liner in the kitchen cupboards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Funny you brought up this topic. Last week I decided to clean out the spice drawer and discovered that the newspaper I'd put down as a liner was dated 1999! :paperbag: I guess I was a little overdue for a clean out. :lol:

View attachment 221082

I like the rubber mesh type liner, too. In fact that's my project for this weekend, putting down new shelf liner in the kitchen cupboards.
:lol: I hear you. When Mom gave me the hutch, the shelf paper was from back in the 1990s! It was yellowed beyond belief. I cleaned them out. I just did them right after the New Year this year and that paper was from back in 2013, so that was 5 years! I guess I keep using newspaper in the hutch because that's all the hutch has ever had, as far as I know.

I used to clean out Mom's kitchen cabinets. She'd call me to ask when I had off work from the paper plant. I'd go up on my off day and spend the day cleaning out cabinets, putting fresh paper down, and washing and drying dishes. Rick would come home from work; my dad would get home from work, and our son would take another bus that dropped him off right up the road from my parents' house. We'd eat supper there, clean everything up and then go home.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any. It's always grossed me out. I don't know why exactly. I was tempted to do my kid's dressers because the wood is a little rough inside the drawers. But so far nothing has been snagged or anything. There is probably some still in my dresser at least in the top drawers because I've had it since I was a kid and it was a hand-me-down then. But I don't use my dresser that much right now. It has all the clothes I hope to fit into someday soon.:paperbag:

Our closet shelve are all wire so no need for paper there. We had 2 bathroom faucet leaks since buying the house so maybe I should have gotten something water proof. We caught the leaks before the cabinets were damaged; but still. What if we hadn't!? :confused:

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok,this is gonna sound strange,but beat with me....

When I was gigging a lot,I used to use adhesive contact shelf paper to cover my guitar bodies. It kept the sweat and alcohol from ruining the finish,and provided a little barrier to keep bumps and bruises from dinging the bodies. I was always able to find cool prints like cheetah and cow or Dalmatian. Ah,the glory of the 80s big hair music days.....

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my daughter was younger and in college, she moved around some. I have put down shelf paper in so many apartments in that college town. Then to moved to the city and guess who she called then. Yep, me. She finally got settled down and I haven't had to do hers in quite a while now. What a relief. It is not a fun job.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
:lol: I hear you. When Mom gave me the hutch, the shelf paper was from back in the 1990s! It was yellowed beyond belief. I cleaned them out. I just did them right after the New Year this year and that paper was from back in 2013, so that was 5 years! I guess I keep using newspaper in the hutch because that's all the hutch has ever had, as far as I know.

I used to clean out Mom's kitchen cabinets. She'd call me to ask when I had off work from the paper plant. I'd go up on my off day and spend the day cleaning out cabinets, putting fresh paper down, and washing and drying dishes. Rick would come home from work; my dad would get home from work, and our son would take another bus that dropped him off right up the road from my parents' house. We'd eat supper there, clean everything up and then go home.
It sounds like that's a nice memory for you. :hearthrob:

I got the spice drawers cleaned and organized today. Guess I'm good for another 20 years. :flail:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok,this is gonna sound strange,but beat with me....

When I was gigging a lot,I used to use adhesive contact shelf paper to cover my guitar bodies. It kept the sweat and alcohol from ruining the finish,and provided a little barrier to keep bumps and bruises from dinging the bodies. I was always able to find cool prints like cheetah and cow or Dalmatian. Ah,the glory of the 80s big hair music days.....
My husband is a musician (and luthier,) and I've heard of that one before! Admittedly, only in the context of repairs, since I guess the heavy duty extra sticky stuff isn't great for guitar finishes. But the lightweight kind I use in my house definitely wouldn't damage the finish. Was this a common practice when you gigged, or just a creative idea you had?

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had been advised by an old pro. I was 18,and everyone else doing this kinda gig was 25 and up. They had been touring for years,and I was a total noobie.
What a cool idea! I wonder Igbo anyone else has unique uses for contact paper. I always see fun stuff on Pinterest, but never get around to trying.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have the shelf paper my mother put in my cabinets when I moved into my house 25 years ago.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still have the shelf paper my mother put in my cabinets when I moved into my house 25 years ago.

Lol. Adhesive shelf paper sticks pretty well. Mom put shelf paper in her kitchen cabinets and on the length of wall between the sink and window some 40 years ago. The paper is still mostly firmly stuck in place. In a few places the paper is peeling but no one dares to remove it because the lead paint will be pulled off with the paper:eek2: