Do you use a cell phone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've nearly been hit MANY times as a pedestrian obeying the traffic signals, and just the other day some irate woman on her cell phone stopped near the middle of an intersection and just ignored me when I motioned to her that pedestrians had to walk near the passing traffic in order to get by. People whip around the corners here and nearly hit people in wheelchairs or the elderly. It's very frustrating, and as people often forget, driving is a privilege, not a right. And driving while on a cell phone at all is just plain dangerous.

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already said that I don't talk on my cell while driving, but can someone please explain to me the difference between talking to someone in a store, walking down the sidewalk, ect while on a cell instead of having the person right there?
I'm sorry but "mindlessly chattering" on the phone or to the person with you is the same thing IMO.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had one since I graduated from high school and I think I'd feel completely lost without it. I freak out when I realize I've left it at home!! However, I don't feel the need to be on it all the time and will actually leave it in my car more often than not. I just like knowing it's with me. So, in the poll I checked the first one and the one about thinking people who drive and talk are idiots.

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have to have one, but i am smart about using it... i hate hate hate people who use it while they drive and forget that they ARE DRIVING...

i use mine when i drive, but i usually use the hands free thingy

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cell, and I love it, but I hate those people who talk and drive at the same time... well, when they are too distracted by their phone to talk. That's why we have a handfree phone. We can still concentrate on the road, but talk too.
Works great!!!

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only have cell phones, so the options provided didn't quite fit our circumstances. That said, I also hate it when people talk and drive! It's so dangerous!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one but i hardly ever use it. It was originally for work but I changed the number and they don't have it anymore.( it rang ALL the time!) Now it hardly rings, (which I love) and if it does, I don't have to worry about it being work.
I NEVER talk and drive! that to me my road rage! it is stupid and
me off something awful!
Brad got one after I had a seizure and we couldn't find him ( he was playing disc golf with friends) so if I needed him I could find him. He used to complain that ha HATED them, now it's stuck to his ear more then the home phone! LOL!
It's hilarious! He will come back inside to get it if he forgets it before we leave. It's too funny! Mine's more because of my seizures now, I want it in case I'm somewhere and have one and need to get ahold of someone when I come out of it. I guess I could use it for all my personal calls, then I'd never have to worry about jumping up to see who's calling on the caller ID.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ash_bct

I already said that I don't talk on my cell while driving, but can someone please explain to me the difference between talking to someone in a store, walking down the sidewalk, ect while on a cell instead of having the person right there?
I'm sorry but "mindlessly chattering" on the phone or to the person with you is the same thing IMO.
IMO, and based on quite a few conversations I've had with others, it's an independence thing (like Marge said, do you have to have someone hold your hand all the time??), and to some people yapping on the cell phone is a status thing. Like they are just SO important that they can't possibly turn the darn thing off. The self-importance thing is most evident in places like restaurants. It also really, really bugs me when I see parents yapping about nothing on the phone in a store ("so what are you wearing on Friday? (it's Monday) OMG did they really say that?"
) while they have their kids in tow. You can't take the time to talk to your kids? I don't know, personally I always liked going grocery shopping by myself and having time by myself. I guess people don't do that as much anymore. Could also be that people do tend to talk LOUD on cell phones, and I really don't care what you're wearing on Friday or what he said...

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bill and I don't even have a landline. The family share plan, for our cellphones is cheaper and much more convenient. Having the cellphone w/voice mail makes it easier for my dad to get hold of me, if something is wrong with Mom, too.

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

IMO, and based on quite a few conversations I've had with others, it's an independence thing (like Marge said, do you have to have someone hold your hand all the time??), and to some people yapping on the cell phone is a status thing. Like they are just SO important that they can't possibly turn the darn thing off. The self-importance thing is most evident in places like restaurants. It also really, really bugs me when I see parents yapping about nothing on the phone in a store ("so what are you wearing on Friday? (it's Monday) OMG did they really say that?"
) while they have their kids in tow. You can't take the time to talk to your kids? I don't know, personally I always liked going grocery shopping by myself and having time by myself. I guess people don't do that as much anymore. Could also be that people do tend to talk LOUD on cell phones, and I really don't care what you're wearing on Friday or what he said...
I DO understand your point

I love time alone, and I get that. In my car, at home late at night, going for walks, ect. Same thing in a restaurant which I said, my phone is on vibrate and I answer it when I think it is an important call. At that point I will say I will call back and do so next potty break, after dinner, whatever.

I just hate that because I am always on my phone that I am lumped into the catergory of people who need status or need a babysitter. I am neither.
I always try to be courteous of others while on my cell.

So whether anyone means all (constant) cell users or me, I can't help but see it as I am lumped in with all the careless people who have nothing better to do than sit on the phone. I am not one of those people.

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by ash_bct

\\\\

I don't get that either. A friend of mine used to commute from NJ to NYC. On the commuter bus there were signs prohibiting cell phone use. What is the difference between talking with your seat mate or on a phone? I used to think it was because people without cells were jealous--they had no friends to talk to.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At work, cellphones are forbidden on the floor. People are constantly running off to the bathroom and using it as a phone booth. WHAT did these people do, before cellphones?

I like the convenience. Since my hours are "normal business hours", I can make calls on my breaks and lunch. When I'm driving to Benson, Tombstone or Phoenix, I like the security of being able to call AAA, if I have car trouble. Arizona is a big state, with a whole lot of "nowhere" in between cities.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should always have a wired phone in your home. In some instances, like the big power outage during the summer of 2003, you may not be able to use your cell phone. Our cell phone did not work during this time. Many of the cell towers do not have back up generators. I know this is bad
but when I am in a store and have these self importance people, who are talking real loud on their cell so everyone can hear, walking near me, I just join in on their conversation. I figure hey, if they want me to hear what they are talking about, I mind as well join in
You should see the looks you get.
I also hate it when I see a couple out on a dinner date and one of the parties is talking on their cell phone during the dinner. If that was me taking a lady out on a date and she did that, I would just get up and leave. They wouldn't know the difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

You should always have a wired phone in your home. In some instances, like the big power outage during the summer of 2003, you may not be able to use your cell phone. Our cell phone did not work during this time. Many of the cell towers do not have back up generators. I know this is bad
but when I am in a store and have these self importance people, who are talking real loud on their cell so everyone can hear, walking near me, I just join in on their conversation. I figure hey, if they want me to hear what they are talking about, I mind as well join in
You should see the looks you get.
I also hate it when I see a couple out on a dinner date and one of the parties is talking on their cell phone during the dinner. If that was me taking a lady out on a date and she did that, I would just get up and leave. They wouldn't know the difference.
Yes, I remember that power outage very well. I did not get my power back for 3 days, and I'm so glad I had an old-fashioned phone that plugs directly into a jack.

Although I don't mind people talking on their cell phones in public, I get really annoyed when people get really loud and carry on, whether they're on the phone or not.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're so right about needing a land line!! Last year during the hurricanes if you didn't have a landline and your power went out, you were essentially screwed. The cell phone lines were unbelievably busy and of course there's always that risk of it dying on you. Luckily there were landlines at both my parents house and my apartment!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mobile is my only phone. I have a great plan that includes unlimited minutes anytime within the US and found this was more cost effective than continuing to pay for a landline I was nolonger using once I got a cable modem.