Do you think my kitten is overweight?

deoxys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. It's my first time on this site but more importantly my first time owning a cat! :)

Toby is now just over 4 months, of which i've had the pleasure of sharing the last 2 with him as I got him when he was 8 weeks old. He is a really fun, inquisitive, loving little fellow.

I was just wondering whether you think he is growing up fine! All of a sudden he seems to have gained weight yet hes been on the same diet of 2 x Whiskers kitten pouches a day with a bowl of dry kibble. (I must say I do give him a few treats throughout the day!)

Hes quite a little fluff ball so I don't know whether the fur is just deceiving me. I play with him most of the day and he gets tons of exercise as has a lot of toys he plays with.

I was wondering if you think he resembles any certain breeds too. Anyone could help me out on this? When I took him the vet a few weeks ago she said to me that he looks like he will grow up to be quite a big cat, tall and long.

Hope you managed to read this and I await the replies.

Thanks alot, Deo!

Here are a few pics!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Toby is a cutie! It's really hard to have an overweight 4 month old and he looks ok to me. But, you can always run him to the vet for a weight check to make sure.

I find it pretty normal for kittens to grow outward than upward or vice versa, so they sometimes look filled out and others they look more lanky.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think he is very nicely shaped.  Healthy cats in good condition shall have some meat on them.  Its just in some breeds which shall be sleek, typical example modern siameses, but also russian blue, where they shall be -  sleek.

Almost all other should have some meat on them, when healthy.

It may be true, he shall not have much more, it would to be to overdo a trifle this healthiness, but he is just perfect at this moment.  Both the overweigh question and him being an adorable young man.

Black and white, harlekine pattern.   Domestic shorthair, ie no especial breed.

Congrats and good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deoxys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot for the replies guys, I guess he is getting along just fine then. Hes been very mischievous and funny today. I set up my Christmas tree to see how it looked and he thinks it is a new climbing frame for him! Then I caught him nibbling on the branches. Its an artificial one. I guess I will have a challenging Christmas ahead! :p

Another question you see the black markings on his nose? I thought at first it was just hiws pigmentation as his gums have a bit of black on them. However I read some sites and people are saying that it could be cancerous? Looks fine to me though. Anyone know?

Once again, I appreciate your replies and feedback! :)

Have a good day, Deo. x

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has the same black pigment, the vet said as long as it doesn't get a lot bigger or change, it IS just pigment and not to worry. Hope that helps! Your kitten is beautiful, I don't think they can be too fat at 4 months!