Do you think it's safe to reuse.......

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ziploc bags from things like bread or cereal to another dry food product? I live in NYC and even though I am an extremely clean person, there is an occasional roach (literally maybe 2 or 3 a year). I like to keep certain items it sealed containers, bread, open cereal, hot coa coa mix packets (roaches like chocolate!)............

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They should be fine. I always reuse ziplocks that have been used only for dry unmessy stuff. If I have to do much in the way of cleanup between uses I figure it's done its duty with one go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

They should be fine. I always reuse ziplocks that have been used only for dry unmessy stuff. If I have to do much in the way of cleanup between uses I figure it's done its duty with one go.
My thoughts exactly
! Guess I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I re-use them as well. The only thing is if they had any meat products, then I throw away.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up in a home where if my mom dried her hands on a paper towel she'd lie it out to dry it out and use it again.

Ziploc bags get turned inside out and washed, left to dry and used again! (Until they fall apart LOL).

...except for meat.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I reuse them too....except meat thats just icky. My mom will actually reuse the meat ones too she labels them for whichever meat she used them for like hamburger chicken and soak them in a vinegar water mixture since its a natural disenfectant but she uses super hotttt water. Im just a little too nervous about reusing stuff involved with meat.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I reuse them too, even for self-frozen fruit or veg from the garden. I turn them inside out and soak them thoroughly.

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I try to reuse them as much as possible but am having a hard time getting DH on board with it. I pack his lunch sometimes using plastic bags, and ask him to bring them home and he never does! (Maybe I am a little bitter on the issue because I spent good money on a nice lunch box that he really really really wanted as a gift last year and he took it to work for about 2 weeks before deciding he didnt want to anymore!....so I get annoyed that he wasted that money AND is wasting plastic bags)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I re-use them, too. For me, they're too expensive to keep buying them all the time.

BTW, if you have a large freezer, it's completely safe to store flours and rices in a heavy-duty freezer bag in your freezer. I don't do this with white flour or my bread flour because I usually use the bags within a relatively short time. But I do keep my whole wheat, rye, semolina flours and such in the freezer for longer storage. If you don't want to keep rices in the freezer, empty the bag into a container and store in the fridge. Wild rice esp will go bad quickly.