Do you think cats are "social" animals.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Most cats enjoy being in groups, I think, but take time to accept a newcomer. But some are loners and never get to like others. My Cinders is like that, no matter what I do she hates other cats and I have to keep her in her own room and spend some time with her there.
But see, you're fulfilling her social need. Not all cats have to like other cats, some are perfectly happy with human companions or some even prefer dogs.

The basic underlying thing is that cats have been domesticated. The urge to completely be solitary aside from breeding and raising kittens isn't there in domestic cats.

I also agree, vets and techs should be required to learn more about actual animal behavior. Instead of that being part of any particular the course, maybe it should be required that they have so many hours of extra courses taught by behaviorist that actually works more like a lab - make them interact and apply what is learned.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

But see, you're fulfilling her social need. Not all cats have to like other cats, some are perfectly happy with human companions or some even prefer dogs.
True. My Zane hates other cats; he doesn't care for dogs, either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Smokey was an only cat from the time she was 8 weeks old. She was not super friendly when she was young, but as she got older she really wanted attention. I know that Jordan loves the company of the other cats because when I have travled with him, he stays in a room by himself. He gets very lonley & I generally don't get much sleep because he is so busy crawling all over me. He is a cuddle bug, always has been.