do you suggest a cat?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cats know each other and are brought home at the same time - introductions are not necessary.

I'd confine them to one room that's cleanable (bathroom) and put the litter box, food/water (keep them far apart) and the cats with some nice soft blankets in the corner for a few days and then let them explore supervised for a week or so.

When you are not there, they should be confined till everything is comfortable.

In the meantime, read up on various threads in here about cat care, etc.

The basics needed are:

Litter pan (2 if you have 2 cats)

Food, water dishes (separate food dishes for each)
Grooming supplies - combs, nail clippers

Quality cat food - Royal Canin, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul - or read in the Nutrition section about other good foods

Cat tree house - a minimum of 4 feet high - not the cheapy small ones

Also if you've never really had a pet, I'd look for a shorthair one (far less grooming involved) and a quiet, laid-back personality. If you've never had a cat, an active one (like Siamese, Oriental, Ocicat, Bengal) would NOT be a good choice for a beginner as they would think the cat is totally nutz/wild

Best thing to do: Make a list of the cat qualities you want and stick to that for when you are looking. If you do not like a lot of grooming and combing, do NOT adopt a longhair no matter how much you think its the right cat. You will start to resent the grooming and then the cat will get a lot of mats and you will have more problems. So make out the list of personality/looks you want before you start your search.

I've had shorthairs my entire life. Got a Turkish Angora cause they were less maintenance then a Persian - I am not a "grooming" type of person and after about a year or so, I rehomed him to a friend who loved longhair cats. He was supposed to be a top quality show cat, but didn't like showing. I didn't like grooming him. I'll stick to shorthair cats!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I believe it would be fairly easy to find two kitties together. I've seen mother-son, sibling, cats brought in together because of moving, and my friend adopted two older females who became attached to one another at the shelter. You never know. The transition would be much easier on them and you because they have a companion going through the same adjustments.

I agree that confining to an area will get a kitty used to where the litter box. Cats adjust quickly and no one I know of has had a problem with them figuring it out. I've even showed my kitties where it was, and let them sniff it. They know what its for.

There's a lot of information articles posted on this site at the top of the page regarding cat care, etc. There are a lot of real knowledgeable people on this site regarding any issues they may have and good cat products and food. Feel free to ask anytime.

Congratulations on giving two kitties a good home!