Do you regularly clip their claws?

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fatman and GiGi are my scratcher fanatics so I dont mess with their nails. Even though they are sharp they are still quite short. Hercules has 2 nails on each paw that if left alone will grow into his pad. He actually has bumps on the pads of his feet from them being unattended for so long. I check his nails once a week and use a human nail clipper and just go to town he loves it because its mine and his alone time and he gets tons of snuggles and scritches afterwards.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I clip them regularly for my safety as well as each others safety. I notice they don't like to wrestle and play as much with each other when their claws are longer. ReeRee gets over zealous and ends up knicking one of the other two.
Rocko likes to knead my chest and it hurts if his claws have a point to them.

Also, their nails can grow into their paw if you don't ever clip them. My sisters cat had this happen and it got infected. Could have saved the cat some pain and them some money if they just kept up with it. All cats are different also at the rate their nails grow and one nail can grow in faster than another, so look at all of them. Its good to get them used to being handled also.

I give my cats treats after they endure their brushing and clipping. It makes them handle it better knowing treats are waiting. They actually wait for all 3 cats to be done and then start walking towards the kitchen cabinet where I keep the treats.