Do you plant a garden?

rbg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sue, be careful about adding sand to clay or you might end up with concrete. If you can get some compost, that would be better to add. There's a book called 'Lasagna Gardening' that teaches you a good system for soil improvement. Clay is a hard one to till, because if the soil is too wet, you'll end up with a bunch of dirt clods and if it's too dry, the tiller will take off with you. It's really easier to make the conditions right for worms to move in and 'till' it up for you. Do a search on Lasagna Gardening or sheet composting and see what you think. If you're in town, it may not be acceptable in your front yard.
Some people will just make raised beds and add purchased soil to get a garden going sooner.
I just read your post again. If you're not going to get to it for another year, you could lay down newpaper or cardboard with a mulch on top of them. I mainly use straw, leaves, and grass clippings. If you use hay, you're apt to get weed seed with it. With straw you may get some of the grain sprouting, but I don't find it a problem.