Do you open any

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our big family Christmas was always on Christmas Eve. Still is.
We've always had Dad's Oyster Stew
and now my sister always makes a turkey with all the trimmings to go with the Oyster Stew. Then we exchange presents.

Santa used to come every year even when we were grown, up until my sister's now hubby and his boys started coming over. He never did Santa and didn't want Santa to bring his kids anything.
The first year, though, the youngest asked Dad if he still believed in Santa after Dad opened a gift from Santa. Dad looked at him, all of 5 years old, and told him completely matter of factly, "As long as he brings me presents, I will believe in Santa!"

Christmas Day used to be for opening gifts from extended family who had mailed them to us. Now it's the day for me and Earl to exchange our presents, have a nice Christmas Dinner, and watch A Christmas Story about 5 times.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was lucky in that both sets of grandparents lived close, so Christmas Eve was with Dad's side of the family (including his brother's family) and Christmas Day was with Mom's side of the family. Both celebrations included a big meal and opening presents.

These days my niece and nephew want to be home with their families on Christmas morning and so we (sis and bro-in-law and me and Mom) are on our own. We just found out my niece's schedules and they will be coming down for New Year's and that's when we will have Christmas.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my grandma was still around we would open her presents to us on Christmas Eve. Now my brothers and I open one present right before we go to bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kids get to open ONE gift on Christmas Eve and that's it!! The rest are saved for Christmas morning.
I let them pick out one from a choice of three and they have to be happy with the one they open.........cause they can't open any more til the morning.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by crittermom

gifts on Christmas Eve? We have done that since I was a kid and now I do it with my own kids.I give them a choice of 3 gifts and they can pick ONLY one to open.
No sorry,I never have done..I have always waited till xmas day.

But that is a lovely tradition that you have...after all...the three wise men set off with their gifts before baby Jesus was born

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always opened from non family and non immediate family...

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In Finland it's the custom to celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, not on Christmas day. Santa comes to give all gifts on Chrismas Eve, most likely, because it's convenient for him to start his round close to home (I assure you he lives in Lapland on a mountain called Korvatunturi, not on the North Pole, or has anyone ever seen a reindeer grazing on the North Pole?
)

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by Ryn

In Finland it's the custom to celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, not on Christmas day. Santa comes to give all gifts on Chrismas Eve, most likely, because it's convenient for him to start his round close to home (I assure you he lives in Lapland on a mountain called Korvatunturi, not on the North Pole, or has anyone ever seen a reindeer grazing on the North Pole?
)
I've never seen a reindeer...........let alone at the north pole

You are right though
He does live near you!!

You lucky lucky people
......getting your pressies before all of us
Thats just.........NOT FAIR !!!!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we always open one and others from my siblings and their familys ! But one year we opend all of them on Christmas eve and that was before my oldest brother had his own family..i was soo little but I
opening them on Christmas eve rather than christmas day for some reason! So I am trying to get my mom to do it this year because she doesnt have to get up early and cook on christmas morning and my brother is going to sell flowers with his one friend and his MIL to make money and he has to get up at 8 so I dont see a point that every one has too lol !! u dont have to get up early and also bring all the gifts down we cant put any under the tree cause of the dogs and clean up on christmas eve and christmas day ! And it doesnt help that I know most of the things I got that I shouldn't big brothers are great when they are nebby and trying to find out what they got hahaha so I wanna be able to mess around with it before I have to go to my grandma's !!