Do You Name Stuff?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My Cruiser's name is Clarence. My Tucson's name is Hannah.

I don't know how many other people do it, but my sister and both do. We name everything. They have a large trailer that they use to haul all kinds of stuff. The trailer's name? Tome (Tow-me....get it?) When they first got the thing, we were talking about hauling some stuff up to the landfill. She said, "OK, I'll have to talk to Tome." I looked at her and said, "Huh? WTH are you talking about, woman?" And she said, "Tome! You know.....Tow-me?" Ohhhhhh!

I talk to Clarence quite often. This morning, I was going to bring Hannah into work so that I could take her to the car wash. When I started walking over to Hannah, Clarence said, "Say what? Seriously?" So....well, Hannah doesn't look too bad and we just had all that rain, so I told her I'd vacuum her out tonight and wash her windows. And Clarence and I came to work. And evidently, I'm not the only one who talks to inanimate objects. My sister was talking to BlueBird the other night when I called to talk to her about something; BlueBird is her blue vacuum cleaner; she also has OrangeBird and that's her small hand-held vacuum. FWIW, I do not talk to my Dyson, nor do I have a name for him (but, dear lord, evidently, it is a "him").

My large Kitchen Aid mixer is called Big Red; the small artisan KA is Baby Blue. My iPod is Ichabod (as in Ichabod the iPod). Maybe she and I are both just crazy; thankfully it runs in the family. And we're happy that way. But man, when things start talking back, well I don't know....we'll be sharing that room over in the hospital, I guess! Which isn't really fair because we had to share a room when we were growing up....and it wasn't pretty.

So....do you name your vehicles? Do you name anything else? Do you find yourself talking to inanimate objects? Please say yes! Don't leave me hanging out here on my own!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I have named is the big printer at work. I sit ten feet away from it and when she needs paper or toner we say someone needs to feed her. Her name is Bertha.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of my cars have had names. The blue Honda 3 door was Blueberry, the black Honda 2 door Civic was the Black Stallion, and now, the Toyota Prius is Carmine. Carmine because she is red, and I don't owe anything, she is MINE (car - mine).

I don't think I've ever named anything else. And I don't talk to them. I think it's really neat, what you and your sister do!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My husband names things more than me. He names our vehicles, but I don't think our newest one ever got a name.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always named my cars, and some odds and ends as a kind of verbal shorthand. For example, if someone asks where they can find a certain item, it's a heck of a lot faster to keep saying 'Aunt Mildred' than 'the armoire with the knobby legs in the master bedroom.' :lol:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops. Sorry for the double post. Our internet connection is wonkier than usual today. :-)

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I name inanimate objects. It's totally nutty, but fun.

My 1994 Chevy S10 pickup is the Trucklet of Terror. (Ride and see why.) I had a green Lexus I called the Green Bean (my brother called his green Subaru the same thing)

. I had a 1967 Olds Cutlass sedan I called Janis Joplin, and a 1979 Olds 98 Regency I named Jimi Hendrix (very experienced; 300K+ miles). A Nissan Maxima was dubbed Mad Max. A 1972 Chevy C20 pickup truck was Sophia Loren (old, but still beautiful).

I also give pet names to cities. Torrance (California) is Torn Pants; Burbank is Spermbank; and others.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I have named is the big printer at work. I sit ten feet away from it and when she needs paper or toner we say someone needs to feed her. Her name is Bertha.
We have one, too. We call her Big Mama.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol:

I have a few things named. My Grandfather always HAS to give my kids something when we visit. Last year he gave each of them one of those solar powered dancing flower bobble head type things. DD's is named Fern and DS's is named Irene. I enjoy them more than the kids. They sit in the kitchen window. He gave DD a hula dancer one this year (she picked it out of his window collection.) but she hasn't been named yet.

My Mom and I always named her cars when I was a kid but I've never named one of my own. :think: Stuffed animals still get named; whether they belong to the kids or ME. :D

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope. I can barely keep the kids' and cats' names straight, much less inanimate objects. So far I've avoided mixing up cats AND kids, but I'm sure that'll happen some day.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Fusion is J.T. (for Junior II). My previous car was Junior. I am not very imaginative. And our Dodge is D.C. because it was my Aunt's car that I inherited, so it is Doris' Car. I don't name everything, but we have always named our cars.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I jokingly call my car the TARDIS. It looks small and compact, but when you get in it, it's huge on the inside.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. I do not name vehicles. I think the only thing I do name are the cat toys. Mr. Chirpy bird, Mr. Prawn, etc. I guess all the cat toys are male. Why is it that they seem to multiply then? :lol:

The dog's stuffy toys are named too but they have not been out in a while. She doesn't play with them anymore. The first ones we got for her were a hedgehog and a big pink bunny. We used to get mail for other people at our address. We named the stuffies after these people. The hedgehog is Fred and the bunny was Jenny. Fred is still around. Jenny was destroyed years ago. The group of dog toys is referred to as the "band of friends". I have no idea why. I must have been more creative back then. :lol2:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Had to come back here to report . . . reading the newspaper today, and apparently: "You may be from New England if you name your car's heater / defroster!"

LOL, I haven't but now perhaps I will! I have till about October to work on this, ha haaa.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We name all sorts of things. All our vehicles have had names, starting with my first car, a 1960 Ford Galaxy called Brunhilda. The Mercury Monarch was Flutterby, the VW camper was Vega, my mother's inherited green Ford was Frog, the Explorer was Don Quixote, followed by Red Pepper, our first Expedition, then Heffalump, the gray one, and now a new red one who's still finding his name. The Gold Wing is Fever, for motorcycle fever (once you get it you never get over it). Its trailer is The Black Hole, which is like a black TARDIS. My motorcycle is Lucifer. Robert's iPad is Paddington. Various kitchen utensils all have names such as Whack for the meat pounder. All the backup hard drives have names such as Time Warp and Hard Times. My laptop is Clamshell.

Yes, we do talk to them. Some we admonish, some we entreat, and some we just converse with. So far, only the Mac items have talked back.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I notice that I name events in Speedy's world. A walk on the harness is called "one-click, two-click", and brushing her teeth is doing "brushy-brushy"! :dunno: