Do you like your name?

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

My name is Cheyenne and I cant tell you how many times I have either heard some miss pronunciation like 'Che-ne-ne' or some half a** attempt to insult the native American tribe........Now that I am older I do love my name
My mom LOVES that name now. I like it too. When a neighbors cat had kittens under my parents shed, my mom was gonna take them in to get spayed/neutered..the only one she managed to catch was a female and that's what she named her.
Its really pretty

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want my name to be less confusing. I'm Maria Ligaya. My parents wanted to call me Ligaya only (Filipino for Joy) but the priest refused to baptize me because it wasn't a Christian/Catholic name. Now when I travel to the West, I'm known as Maria because it is easier to remember by the locals. In the Orient - Ligaya is no problem.
Hope that if ever two of my friends meet and know me only by one of the names, will not think that I somehow lied to them about my identity.
Thank God there's Facebook!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I feel your pain! Try working in customer service with a name like Hope. "Hi, my name is Hope. How can I help you?" "Well, I HOPE you can help me Hope. Your name gave me Hope".
yeah well, I probably can't do a darn thing for you but what's your story. lol. I also answer to Faith, Charity, and Joy because people know it's ONE of them.
Ohhhhh I know where you guys are coming from.

I get asked if my parents are alcoholics alot

One guy refuses to call me Brandy, he calls me Whiskey

Then all through elementary school I got bran muffins, bran flakes, etc etc.
Weird people!

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

Ohhhhh I know where you guys are coming from.

I get asked if my parents are alcoholics alot

One guy refuses to call me Brandy, he calls me Whiskey

Then all through elementary school I got bran muffins, bran flakes, etc etc.
Weird people!
When I was growing up I had a friend, Hope. She was adopted along with her sister, who was named Joy.

Every Christmas we'd get a picture card saying "Here's Hope and Joy for the Holidays"

Quite the planning, huh?

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've loved reading about how and why everyone was named what they were. And, I suppose it makes me thankful to have a "normal" name (no Mary Christmas for me
).

As if anyone couldn't figure it out, my name is Alison Joy. I don't have a middle name - my name is actually Alison Joy. That confuses most people despite it being fairly cut and dry -- so, I usually just use Alison or a nickname (Ali, Ajay, Sonny). I also like my surname, but it is very common and there are quite a few others with my same name (minus the Joy). Overall, I like my name. I get many compliments on it and think it suits me well. And, I like the spelling of my name despite the constant misspellings of Allison or Alyson. But, it definitely could be worse.

I was originally supposed to be named Alyssa if I was a girl. But, my cousin was born a month before me and she was given the name Melissa. My mother thought the two names were too similar and so they went looking for another name. My grandmother was insistent on my being named Penelope. And, my father wanted to name me Anastasia. Let's just say I'm thankful that my mother was the one who filled out my birth certificate

So, even though my name is kind of common, I like it. I'd much prefer Alison Joy to Penelope Lee. And, for good reason...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by winchester

To this day, when Mom is really mad at me, she'll say "Pamela Sue!" and I know I'm in trouble for something.

That must be a "mom" thing. My mom used to yell out my entire name too when I was fixin' to get into trouble.

I can't say that I'm crazy about my name, but I don't hate it, either. I always wished my mom had named me Valerie (my sister's name), Stephanie or Laura, and more recently, Cassidy. I just love those names.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allison Joy

And, I suppose it makes me thankful to have a "normal" name (no Mary Christmas for me
).
Oh man - I just busted out laughing when I read that!
It reminds me of my mom & her sister: my mom's name is Sally, and my aunt's name was Mary (RIP
). When my mom was a kid, she would get upset cuz everyone would go around saying "Merry Christmas" every year. One year she asked my grandma, "Isn't there ever gonna be a Sally Christmas?"