Do you like where you live?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I love this area.
I'm in the Mojave desert in the Mojave Valley.
Tri-state area, right on the Colorado river.

Needles CA, Mohave Valley AZ, Fort Mohave AZ, Bullhead City AZ and Laughlin NV

Plenty of trail riding (bike, quad or horse), boating, water skiing, fishing, swimming, golfing, gambling and a great area for photography.
Mojave Nature Preserve and the Topock Wetlands Reserve.
Mitchell Caverns all close by.

However, terrible, terrible, terrible depression area, no work to be had.
I've driven through Needles, CA numerous times! I'll have to stop in next time

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure thing, shoot me a PM next time you plan to come through, we can exchange phone numbers and meet up at the Wagon Wheel or something

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

I was trying to find a way to explain to you guys how I interpreted this post and couldn't seem to find the words to convince people that I thought it was done with humor not meaning to be demeaning to the people who actually live there. But I see now that a few people have mentioned the corn fields and steven king and horror movies that perhaps now you can see that was probably what LaRussa meant. I thought it was funny anyway. I think small rural towns are used in alot of horror movies and "Boonie People" would be a great cheesy title for a horror flick.
Sorry if you didn't see the humor in it. I think people get oversensitive sometimes.
I definitely did mean my statement as humor and nothing else. I've often called very rural areas living out in the boon docks and meant no harm. As I said I love the rural areas since they are quiet and scenic. Hopefully everyone else took it as humor. Thanks.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Naples, Fl which is just south (45 min. or so) of Ft. Myers. Used to live on the east coast of FL. (Ft. Lauderdale). Naples is beautiful, extremely clean and fairly quiet. We always hated the snow and cold weather, so Florida is perfect if you're not a lover of cold weather. People claim there's no change of season, but there really is, although not a drastic change. We get our cool weather (had to use the heat a lot this year), summers are hot, of course, but I think they're hot all over. Ft. Myers has good and bad areas, like most cities, but it's a nice place, my nephew and his family live there.

If you need any more info on FL send me a message and I'll be glad to do all I can to help. Right now houses are selling at fairly low prices, due to the number of people who unfortunately lost their homes to foreclosures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kookycats

I live in Naples, Fl which is just south (45 min. or so) of Ft. Myers. Used to live on the east coast of FL. (Ft. Lauderdale). Naples is beautiful, extremely clean and fairly quiet. We always hated the snow and cold weather, so Florida is perfect if you're not a lover of cold weather. People claim there's no change of season, but there really is, although not a drastic change. We get our cool weather (had to use the heat a lot this year), summers are hot, of course, but I think they're hot all over. Ft. Myers has good and bad areas, like most cities, but it's a nice place, my nephew and his family live there.

If you need any more info on FL send me a message and I'll be glad to do all I can to help. Right now houses are selling at fairly low prices, due to the number of people who unfortunately lost their homes to foreclosures.
One thing I worry about is Hurricanes. Living where I do now we get no real disaster weather. Do you think living on the east is better than the west because the water is cooler in the Atlantic vs. the gulf, hence less forceful storms?? Something I've always wondered.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Florida is the lightning strikes capital of the USA.
I know this will sound weird but I will never live in Florida because of that fact

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kookycats

Well hi there kookycats, nice to see you posting. I don't know if I could live in FL or any other state where it is so hot most of the time since you know I hate the hot, humid weather. I've visited FL twice and altho what I saw was very nice, I just wouldn't be able to take all that heat
Hey girl, post more often

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Wellington, New Zealand.

I love my city - it's like many other capital cities in the world (just on a smaller scale) and it's got a good variety of urban, surbuban and rural living.

I love the weather and the fact it can be different every day. I don't like people that complain about our weather and say "I should move back to so & so" I get really mad and say "Well, yup move back then". Wellington has such good career opportunites.

I live in the most northen suburb of the city - and you can see farm animals from my house and it's also the Church capital of the country. I think around 12,000 people live in Tawa and we have 12 churches

Wiki link for Tawa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawa,_New_Zealand

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

One thing I worry about is Hurricanes. Living where I do now we get no real disaster weather. Do you think living on the east is better than the west because the water is cooler in the Atlantic vs. the gulf, hence less forceful storms?? Something I've always wondered.
I guess we've been lucky. When Andrew hit Miami, we had no problem in Ft. Lauderdale. Wilma passed thru Naples few years ago and aside from some frightening sounding winds we had no problems there. I don't know what effect the water to do with it , never quite thought about it.

luvmy10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I LOVE where I live because I was born here. Everyone knows everybody and we all seem to get along.

HOWEVER. If you are thinking of going South, I would shoot my opinion for Wilmington NC, I LOVE it there, it is my second home! We go quite a few times throughout the year and the people there are STUNNING! =)

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the Philippines, life goes on more slowly than in more developed countries, cost of living is not expensive, food like fish and fruits are fresh, and people are friendly. The weather is sometimes too hot and too wet but that's part of living in the tropics and one gets used to it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love where I live! I love living in Minnesota and the town we live in, especially since we just moved here to be near my family after being away for almost 6 years
The weather can be a little extreme in the summer/winter, but overall, I do like it & really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I grew up in South Florida - I hated it. I'm back here right now temporarily and hate it as much as ever. Ft. Myers is on the other side of the everglades from where I grew up, but I've visited it. It doesn't look like it's anything special.

I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota these days as my "real" residency. I don't hate it.... I just don't love it.

I thought I'd like Atlanta, but when I visited it I hated it immediately.

Nashville looks nice, but I haven't spent enough time there to really know. I only spent a day there as I passed through. Knoxville was also really nice.

Where I'd REALLY like to live is Arlington, VA. I had an opportunity to do it when I got into American University Law School, but I had to turn it down for reasons not worth going into. I plan to visit it some time though. I also want to visit Chicago as it's a potential candidate in my mind.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I love where I live! I love living in Minnesota and the town we live in, especially since we just moved here to be near my family after being away for almost 6 years
The weather can be a little extreme in the summer/winter, but overall, I do like it & really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Out of curiosity, are you in the Twin Cities area? I'd be curious where you are. I've found Minneapolis to be better than South Florida, but it doesn't have that "perfect fit" feel that I was hoping for. Maybe it's just because I'm living in downtown Minneapolis. I might be happier in the suburbs.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love where I live...at least used to. Now it's just growing and growing, getting too crowded. And all the foot hills are being dug out in the name of progress. On the road I live on alone, over the past 12 years, 5 hills have disappeared. They'll be starting on the mountains next.

I am on the verge of relocating. Soon, soon. All my life, since I was 8 years old and first went there, I have wanted to live in Vermont.

And I am getting closer and closer to realizing that goal! Maybe even this year!

I'm going to hate to lose my vet though.
That's the only downside.