Do you like fish?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our fav is tilapia (got hooked on it in Maui). Second fav is Walleye (remember we are in Minnesota). Cod is 3rd.

The pan fish of trout or sunnies is ok, but we both hate catfish (especially my husband).

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned Tuna is it for me. I dont like any other kind of fish it freaks me out.....I dont swim in anything that doesnt have a concrete bottom because Im afraid of fish biting off my toes.

Dont ask..Friends traumatized me once swimming in the river, started screaming that fish were eating her toes..the cause of a stupid phobia

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Coming from the Canadian Maritimes, naturally I like and eat fish.
Hey now, I'm a New Brunswicker through and through but I can't do fish or seafood of ANY kind, ugh. If it comes from the sea, it belongs in the sea.
I gag badly with even just a slight smell of seafood.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fishy smell makes me gag, too. Though I can handle it if it's on a live fish or if I'm in an area (aquarium/pond/lake) that smells fishy.
Just don't expect me to eat something that smells like that. Maybe it's a bit like that fresh cut grass smell - it smells ok, I even like it, but I don't want to eat grass clippings.

For the most part I do not like any fish or seafood at all. Lobster, crab, and shrimp have this weird nasty smell all of their own that I can't stand. Most fish have that fish taste too them and it's not something I can handle.
I have eaten some high quality smoked red salmon that was good and rarely I'll find a place/person who can make catfish that doesn't taste like dirt. I can occasionally eat tuna salad but I load it down with sweet pickles to cover up the fish and mayo taste.

Amusingly I had a dream this morning that I was eating somewhere and had ordered a dish that had a lobster tail and a small amount of shrimp as part of it. In my dream I was going to give this to my DH (as I actually would) to eat. But in the dream the waiter threw a fit saying that wasn't allowed. I believe this thread may have inspired that dream. lol

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't eat any kind of fish, ever. I simply can't stand the taste, and the smell doesn't do much for me, either. Maybe it's because I'm a Pisces.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fish is one of my favorite sources of protein. However, I tend to be very picky about the type of fish I eat. For instance, I much prefer a tougher fish -- almost like a steak (ie. tuna or mahi mahi). And, while I do occasionally like white, flaky fish, I would not choose it over, say, red snapper or salmon. And, for me, the fish needs to be fresh. I cannot eat fish after it has been frozen. And, if it's fishy, I won't even touch it. And, then there is the way it's prepared, but that is another story altogether.

For mahi mahi and tuna, I prefer it to be grilled with light seasoning. I think the flavor speaks for itself and I don't like to cover it. Red snapper I like with a lemon butter sauce. But, again, very light. I don't want to mask the flavor. For salmon, I like it a number of different ways. While it's not healthy, on the very rare occasion I make it, I love salmon wrapped in applewood smoked bacon and then cooked in a skillet. It's delicious! But, I also like it seasoned with fresh herbs or cooked with a light marinade. For the lighter, flakier fish, I like it baked. But, with that type of fish, I find I like to add a cajun or spicier seasoning to kind of kick it up. And, battered and fried fish is okay, but it's not my first choice. However, there are days that fish and chips sounds like a great option, so it's all relative...

There is, however, fish that I won't touch. I am not a fan of lobster or crab (though I enjoy crab cakes and other fish/chicken stuffed with crab meat). I am also not someone who really loves shrimp. I could never eat a shrimp cocktail or something thats only source of protein was shrimp. I just do not like the texture or the taste. However, in some foods I can eat shrimp if it's included and thoroughly cooked. Lobster is just, well, eww. I do, however, like clams (usually on the half shell), mussels, and even more exotic finds such as calamari. But, I could do without oysters, crayfish, and a handful of other fish types.

And, great, we have no seafood in the house and now I've got a hankering for salmon wrapped in bacon
. Oh well, I suppose it's just as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

It depends... Raw or cooked? Raw it would be Tuna, and cooked would be Chilean Sea Bass.
Oh, I totally forgot about raw.
For this thread, I'll say cooked because I eat cooked fish 70-80% of the time.

Originally Posted by Alison Joy

I am not a fan of lobster or crab (though I enjoy crab cakes and other fish/chicken stuffed with crab meat). I am also not someone who really loves shrimp. I could never eat a shrimp cocktail or something thats only source of protein was shrimp. I just do not like the texture or the taste. However, in some foods I can eat shrimp if it's included and thoroughly cooked. Lobster is just, well, eww.
I'm like you (fish fan but selective!), and yes, in my book, lobster is
yuck. I fail to see why it has so many fans, like my uncle. I remember eating crab cakes in Maryland and Brooklyn and liking them (Maryland's were better of course
)

My dad likes red snapper but I don't.

Give me tilapia or tautog any day
I would like to try bluegill because I've read comments saying it's really delicious. But I guess I would need to travel to the Midwest for that. And yeah bacon
For folks here who don't like the smell/taste of fish, the main thing I'll say is tilapia fish is scentless and it tastes like "nothing" (IMO). Maybe it should be called "tofu of the sea"
It is blander than blaaaaaaaaand. Rachel Ray loves it because she says it absorbs whatever sauce she chooses to use on it.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adooooore fish! I have tried a few kinds, and the only seafood (so far) that I don't like... is oysters and the like. That wasn't so good!
I live in the Florida Panhandle, so there is always fish available. Flounder and Mahi Mahi are my absolute favorites.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Hey now, I'm a New Brunswicker through and through but I can't do fish or seafood of ANY kind, ugh. If it comes from the sea, it belongs in the sea.
I gag badly with even just a slight smell of seafood.
My daughter hates fish as well.

You're not really a "New Brunswicker" - you're a "herring choker".

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like many different kinds of fish, but it has to be a light flavored fish. I like halibut, orange roughy, lake perch, cod, catfish, walleye and smelt. I absolutely detest tuna and salmon...way too fishy smelling, and strong tasting for my liking. The best fish I ever had was the halibut that I caught in the Gulf of Alaska, and cooked on the grill that evening. Of course, fresh caught smelt, pan fried with a beer batter is pretty darn good too!

I also enjoy other seafood, such as shrimp, lobster and scallops. I've tried crab a few times, but found it too strong and fishy tasting.

adriana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looove fish! I don't eat meat, so I eat quite a bit of fish. Sushi is pretty much my favourite food on the planet. For raw fish, I like tuna. For cooked fish, I like salmon and halibut, fresh of course! Yummy.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really into fish foods, but I do like salmon. I do not like if they smell like fish tho.
My mom makes really good salmon around xmas, don't know what it's called but is goooood! And I like fast food type salmon, and smoked. And fish sticks (which barely even have any fish in them..)
Does deep fried squid count as a fish?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

I'm not really into fish foods, but I do like salmon. I do not like if they smell like fish tho.
Good, fresh fish should not smell like fish! If it does, there's something wrong.

We love all kinds of fish and shellfish and try to eat it twice a week. DH makes the best crab cakes around. And we'll often grill fish. Love grilled salmon, grilled crab legs, grill anything. Tequila-lime grilled shrimp....yum! DH isn't big on scallops, but I love them. Tilapia, haddock, flounder, they're all good.

Our son was an avid fisherman and he loved to catch trout. He'd clean them and bring them home for me to cook for him. He loved stuffed trout, trout with white wine and almonds, fried trout. He doesn't go fishing much anymore since he got married, but it used to be one of his favorite ways to relax.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love all fish, all seafood, all of it. I do not like to to taste "fishy", who really likes that?
My meal last night was a salmon sandwich with grilled onions on top. Lunch that day was a tuna fish salad - homemade mustard no mayo and lots of fresh onion.
Lunch today is a mahi mahi wrap. Dinner with be homemade sushi, featuring some type of fish. I usually eat seafood at least twice a week. Fish and tofu are my main sources of protein.
When we went on a cruise (our first and only to date) I ate fish for practically every single meal every day. I can't do that here, too expensive.
I also give my dogs fish oil daily.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We love farm raised catfish!

Put a bit of butter in a skillet, fry it up with a little cajun spice.

I think this would be my choice of a last dinner!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the only one who mentioned crappie so far.

Fresh, fried crappie just seems to melt in your mouth. It has a great flavor that has earned it a nickname of "bread-and-butter fish".

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I
fish and all kinds of seafood. The only fish I do not like is salmon, I don't like the flavor and recently I learned that salmon does not like me either
I ate a seafood stew at a lebanese restaurant and I couldn't really taste the salmon, so I ate it and then I got an unhappy tummy

One thing tho is that I am absolutely freaked out with the possibility of getting a bone
I used ot eat tuna right out of the can and got a bone once... i didn't eat tuna for 5 years
with freshly caught fish the risk is greater to get a bone than in a restaurant imo. I actualyl jsut ate some fresh walleye over the 4th of July weekend and it was quite delicious! also no bones

Bryan, I have never tried crappie
you have to admit that was a bad choice of names for an edible fish

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like most any kind of fish. Some have listed kinds I have never tasted. Mostly what we eat here in NC is croakers, spots, trout, and flounder. They are native to our sounds and rivers. I also like some deep sea fish red snapper, tuna, salmon and others. I mostly just like fish, any kind. It is my favorite seafood