Do you like fish?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

my fav is halibut, it's just not affordable.
I heard it's affordable in England because it's one of the top choices for "fish and chips"

Originally Posted by farleyv

We love farm raised catfish!

Put a bit of butter in a skillet, fry it up with a little cajun spice.

I think this would be my choice of a last dinner!
That good, huh?

Originally Posted by cococat

When we went on a cruise (our first and only to date) I ate fish for practically every single meal every day. I can't do that here, too expensive.
Hey I'll be going on a cruise - I should do that too.

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I have never tried crappie
you have to admit that was a bad choice of names for an edible fish
Yes as far as a name it's rather awful
Makes me not wanna try it. Here's a pic of the crapet-soleil http://www.mddep.gouv.qc.ca/poissons...pet_soleil.jpg as it's called in Quebec. Scientific name is Lepomis gibbosus. Apparently we borrow names (crapet=crappie), toss them around, misuse them, etc. Lepomis gibbosus is called pumpkinseed in the U.S.

Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

Mostly what we eat here in NC is croakers, spots, trout, and flounder. They are native to our sounds and rivers. I also like some deep sea fish red snapper, tuna, salmon and others. I mostly just like fish, any kind. It is my favorite seafood
I was surprised at the variety of ocean fish people catch in the northeast http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7894.html and the tons of catch rules (when, how big, how many, etc.), license rules, etc.- yikes.. Spanish mackerel? How nice of them to visit us all the way from Spain
It's probably just a name. Speaking of names again, that "sole" I had purchased in the supermarket was likely "plaice" --it's not something I'll buy again. I thought it'd be like flounder. Legally-acceptable usage of multiple fish names -ugh- Very confusing to regular folks like me.

Edit: I see someone voted for pompano. If it wasnt for the internet I never would've known of its existence. If I ever visit Florida, I wanna try it because it looks kind of good to me

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

I heard it's affordable in England because it's one of the top choices for "fish and chips"
On sale at the grocery store here in Central Florida it (halibut)is $19.95 for 12 ounces.

Originally Posted by c1atsite

I see someone voted for pompano. If it wasnt for the internet I never would've known of its existence. If I ever visit Florida, I wanna try it because it looks kind of good to me
It is really good. Delicate and buttery.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to HATE fish - in fact, all seafood except shrimp, crab and canned tuna.

Gary changed that. He knows how to cook it properly, and use seasonings.... Smoked salmon was the first non-tuna I enjoyed eating, but Gary introduced me to soooo many... sole, halibut, snapper, Chilean sea bass, cod, golden trout, brook trout, perch, flounder, whitefish, swordfish, fresh tuna, pompano, orange roughy... I can really enjoy them all now. Whether I want "meaty" or "flakey" is totally a mood thing.

When it comes to raw, I now also love fatty tuna.

The state of sooooo many fish though is something I have a problem with. I though Rainbow Trout were endangered? Or is that only in the Columbia River? Are they farmed now? And I know the Golden Trout has become a threatened species. There are a lot of problems with the Tuna runs, the size of the tuna - they're just being harvested too quickly.
I know there are Salmon runs that don't exist anymore, though it is also now a farmed fish....

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who runs a charter service on Lake Erie so he takes me out for the cost of fuel only.

Last year, in two hours we caught 120 perch, our limit. That filled my freezer until late February. This year, we need to go out a few times and get both Perch and Walleye.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I like to take salmon and put a BBQ rub on it, then grill it and serve it with BBQ sauce. It's delicious that way!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite fish wasn't listed. It's Wahoo, a deep water fish in the pacific. When I lived in Guam I had a friend that would go deep water fishing and bring me back fillets from it. Caught that morning, slow grilled that night with lemon butter and a touch of dill....it made your eyes roll back in your head. Awesome!

I love just about any kind of fish but around here (mountains of West Virginia) "fresh" choices are limited, although I've gotten good tilapia, flounder and catfish. I tried cooking salmon once and destroyed it and I'm half afraid of trying it again. Anyone know a easy salmon recipe? My husband is a steak freak so when he cooks steak I usually cook fish for myself.

For other seafoods, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE crabs!! Give me a bushel of steamed Maryland crabs and I'm entertained for hours. I will eat shrimp and lobster but I don't crave them. Raw fish, you can keep it. The taste isn't bad, but I can't get past the texture.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I
The state of sooooo many fish though is something I have a problem with. I though Rainbow Trout were endangered? Or is that only in the Columbia River? Are they farmed now? And I know the Golden Trout has become a threatened species. There are a lot of problems with the Tuna runs, the size of the tuna - they're just being harvested too quickly.
I know there are Salmon runs that don't exist anymore, though it is also now a farmed fish....
Wow...Laurie, I sure know what you mean! Back in the '60's and 70's, up until the mid '80's, we would go smelt dipping at the Singing Bridge when the ice went out. You could fill a wash tub in 10 minutes....literally. The rest of the night was spent with bon fires and drinkin' parties! The smelt population has been decimated. http://daverichey1.posterous.com/?tag=singingbridge I remember wearing waders, standing in the river in the middle of the night, and feeling bazillions of smelt bumping into my legs, while we dip the nets, and filled the wash tubs. Gosh....such great memories!!!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't anyone but me like shellfish, like lobster, crab, oysters, clams, mussels? Shrimp, anyone? Raw oysters, clams on the half shell, New England shore dinners, shrimp stir-fried or on the barbie?

Salmon is okay, too.