Do You Like Beets?

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beetroot
yum - I love beetroot.

And yes, I knew that too Susan. I know someone who went to Casualty in the middle of the night thinking the colour of their wee meant they had some kind of medical emergency - only to be told it was the beetroot they'd eaten

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beets aren't my favorite vegetable (that would be asparagus). But I do eat them occasionally just for a change from my usual fare.

When no one is looking? Well, I just had a couple of tortillas, spread with margarine, heaped with sugar and rolled up. Does that count?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah beets! Love my mom's pickled beets, like harvard beets, crazy for beet greens (tops of the beets), borscht and a new way - I saute some onion till clear and add chopped pears (canned or fresh) until it's mushy, salt and pepper and add beets to the pear and onion mix and puree in the food processor. Place in a casserole and keep warm in the oven. This is truly delicious.

I eat raw cake batter when nobody is looking.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know what I do when no one is looking - You know the thick hot fudge sauce for ice cream? I will take a spoon and just eat it out of the jar. I have also tilted the Ready Whip cream upside down and shot it into my mouth - I know everyone does that!!! Confess!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

..........I have also tilted the Ready Whip cream upside down and shot it into my mouth - I know everyone does that!!! Confess!!
Do you! Is that with out without the shot glass nearby???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twofatcats

Beets aren't my favorite vegetable (that would be asparagus). But I do eat them occasionally just for a change from my usual fare.

When no one is looking? Well, I just had a couple of tortillas, spread with margarine, heaped with sugar and rolled up. Does that count?
Yeah! It counts just fine and it's my thread, so I say so!
It sounds pretty darn good, I will have to try that - but do you use flour or corn? And do you toast them first or what?

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

I know what I do when no one is looking - You know the thick hot fudge sauce for ice cream? I will take a spoon and just eat it out of the jar. I have also tilted the Ready Whip cream upside down and shot it into my mouth - I know everyone does that!!! Confess!!
Oh that's a good one. I do that, but I hardly ever buy it. Sometimes I'll take a swig of milk or ice tea from the jug, but it's only me here. If someone is coming over I won't serve them anything from that jug though. They don't want Ryan germs!

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

Yeah! It counts just fine and it's my thread, so I say so!
It sounds pretty darn good, I will have to try that - but do you use flour or corn? And do you toast them first or what?
Flour tortillas, for sure. No, I didn't toast them. Just warmed them in the microwave for 15 seconds, then quickly spread with the margarine or butter so it melts, topped with sugar and rolled.

See, this is my poor substitute for lefse. The Scandinavian lefse is made with mashed potatoes and a lesser amount of flour and made like a tortilla. When I was growing up, my family's favorite way of eating it was like a dessert, with the sugar. Where I live now there aren't enough Scandinavians around to be able to buy lefse, and I'm too lazy to make it, so the flour tortilla is the closest I can come with something purchased locally.

Here is one recipe for the real thing, though. http://www.sofn.com/norwegianculture/recipes/Lefse.html

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Well guess what i had with my chicken tonight!!........sliced pickled beetroot

I love it, but did you know when you go for a wee it turns pink?!, well mine does anyway.

You all wanted to know that didn't you!
we studied digestion in science when i was about 13 and the teacher tried to make us half a jar of beetroot each to see how long it would take for it to pass!

no-one would do it. i went to an all girls school, we liked to delude ourselves that girls dont poo.

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by sashacat421

Do you like beets? I do! I like them very much! (Russian heritage no doubt!)

but we were having a discussion at my work today and some odd stuff came about....what people eat when they think nobody's looking!

What do you eat when you're alone?
Time to pony up the truth........!
(Play Twilight Zone music) Oddly enough I just finished off a nice bowl of em. Cold with a sour cream horseradish sauce! I'm part Russian as well, so maybe that's were I get my love of them too. Also love them pickled with lots of onions and sautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]ed with butter is nice too.

I love pickled pigs feet right from the jar. My mom loved them too, so I'm the only one left that does. And how about some head cheese, I won't describe it, you'll have to look it up! More Eastern European heritage, I guess.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

we studied digestion in science when i was about 13 and the teacher tried to make us half a jar of beetroot each to see how long it would take for it to pass!

no-one would do it. i went to an all girls school, we liked to delude ourselves that girls dont poo.
Oh gawd!

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Well guess what i had with my chicken tonight!!........sliced pickled beetroot

I love it, but did you know when you go for a wee it turns pink?!, well mine does anyway.

You all wanted to know that didn't you!
Actually Susan, Oprah once remarked that she went on a beet binge once and freaked when her urine turned redidsh. She forgot about the beets...she thought she was dying!

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i DO!

russian-born here, so beets are definitely one of the stample foods. beet soup, beet salads, beet everything

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz

Actually Susan, Oprah once remarked that she went on a beet binge once and freaked when her urine turned redidsh. She forgot about the beets...she thought she was dying!
lol

that happened to my little brother when he ate too much red liquorice!
he was only three at the time. my mum was ready to take him to er when we realised what was up.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When no one is looking...cold hot dogs
even better if dipped in mayo and salsa (okay, so I know skip the salsa, and rarely do this anymore but oh in the day...)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twofatcats

Where I live now there aren't enough Scandinavians around to be able to buy lefse, and I'm too lazy to make it, so the flour tortilla is the closest I can come with something purchased locally.
That's too bad...up near Tacoma/Seattle corridor I see Lefse in our local markets...but have never tried it. I should spring it on my husband of Swedish heritage