Do you let your cats eat what they catch?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Babygirl was an inside/outside cat and was a great hunter, but I just couldnt stomach it. I have chased her away from a few mice in the front yard. I have opened my front door and there was Babygirl with a bird in her mouth and she ran inside, as fast as she could, with the bird. I rescued the bird from her.

Once, she had a whole bird family so angry at us, everytime we went outside, they would swoop down and try to peck us. There were at least 7-10 birds you could see on a telephone wire. I saw Babygirl jump into the air probably about 4-5 feet and came down with a swooping bird in her mouth. Then I realized there was a nest close by because Babygirl had knocked a baby out of the nest. I brought the bird inside for a few days making sure she was ok and then put her back in the nest.

There were many gifts left at the door, though, of the animals I didnt rescue from her.

I also had a cat at our previous home that use to leave me presents weekly. I would chase him away from animals, if I saw it, too. But I literally just cannot handle it.

loreye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I let them eat bugs. My cats are indoor cats but bugs still get in the house. I enjoy that they are here so that they can catch the disgusting bug and eat it so I don't have to deal with it.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two cats are indoor/outdoor. Sasha never showed an interest in the cat-like prey, like mice, and has never caught anything except grasshoppers and the occasional butterfly, so no worries about her. Zorro is our hunter. We keep them both up to date on all shots (esp rabies) and de-wormers, and mainly let him eat what he kills. I don't interfere except when he catches a garter-snake (which are on the decline in our area, and are a good animal to have around) or a songbird (if its not too injured to save when I realize he has one). I actually rather he ate the mice, because being on an acreage I'd rather he ate them outside and kept the population under control, than have our yard overrun (which at this point it would be without our wonderful hunters).

He actually doesn't always eat them, he likes to leave them as 'presents' at our back door, for which we praise him lots as we grab a shovel to dispose of it. But, catching about 4 a day during the summer, he does eat some, and also eats all his kitty food.

At this point I'm always amazed. At all times we have two cats, one a hunter and one a non-hunter. I'm starting to think the spirit of the hunt is being passed down the generations, on par with having no instinct to hunt at all

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I blame human overpopulation and (housing) developments far more for declining bird populations.
I agree. My garden is full of birds even though all my 11 cats go outside, climb trees, etc. There were more birds in the neighborhood before the empty lots nearby became condominiums. Oh and I can also blame the weather. The unusual number of storms, strong winds will wipe out nests. It's sad really.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I agree. My garden is full of birds even though all my 11 cats go outside, climb trees, etc. There were more birds in the neighborhood before the empty lots nearby became condominiums. Oh and I can also blame the weather. The unusual number of storms, strong winds will wipe out nests. It's sad really.
That's what it has been like around here. We used to have a lot of swallows and robins around, but they've been practically non-existent since the town has been built up so much.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zane has eaten mice, voles, and squirrels (back when he was still and indoor-outdoor cat) and since coming inside for good has eaten at least one mouse.

Cats are carnivorous predators; or predatory carnivores. For them to catch, kill, and eat things is how God and/or evolution made them.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one time mine caught a mouse (only place we've lived that had one) we didn't let them eat it. And Raven
was NOT happy about that. In fact, my husband thought that he wouldn't even kill it because the house cat he grew up with didn't have a clue what to do with mice after he caught them. Imagine his surprise when Raven
had already dispatched it.
If Mike hadn't have come home, Raven
would have had a tasty snack because I was asleep.

Otherwise mine mostly hunt and eat bugs. Well Nabu does. I'm not sure Stimpy knows what to do after catching them. Nabu eats them right up. Especially moths.

Raven
and Nabu were outside for 3-4 months before I adopted them, and from their condition at the time--I think they hunted most of what they ate.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor cats, and since they've been with us they've caught a rat and two mice. Inside. Eww.
Anyway, I got rid of the little bodies (I actually had a little burial for each of them. I'm sure they got dug up but I was trying to respect their deaths.)
One of the cats ate one of the mouse's legs, but I didn't want them to eat anymore. They should be able to practice pouncing and hunting IMO, but I guess I'm a little paranoid about the parasites.
Polly ate a fly earlier today, but she had fun chasing and batting at it, and there was nothing I could do about it, anyway.