Do you let your cat up on the bathroom counter?

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our bathroom is usually totally closed off, but I leave the doors open when I am getting ready in the morning, and Carl occasionally gets up on the counter. He never gets on the kitchen counter (when we are there
) but we never trained him to be that way, he just doesn't want to excert the effort to get all the way up there for nothing.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sierra and Serenity hop up anywhere they please. Sometimes they even let me accomplish something on the counters.
I sure wouldn't feel right without one or both of my girlies lounging on the bathroom counter while accompanying me to the shower, and how would I ever wash my face without their assistance?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad so many of you responded that you let your kitties on the bathroom counter cuz I'm letting him do that now and getting ready in the morning is so much more pleasant with a purring cat watching me and pawing at the water in the sink.

We decided that he's pretty sure footed and that he's better off if we just let him get on the washer and dryer when the water is emptying into the tub without us telling him to get down. We figure that if we scare him by yelling to get down, he's more likely to slip and fall behind the washer. We are always home when the washer is going so if he did fall behind there we'd be there to pull the washer out and get him out. I don't ever see him up there unless the water is emptying out.

newkittymom06

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we let our kitty on the bathroom counter and on the toilet with the seat down of course and on the side of the tub. But he isn't allowed on the bar on the coffee table.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty pays absolutely no attention to what I want him to do, I just get an insolent look and then he goes right back to whatever he is doing.

No counters in the bathroom, but he likes to sit on the side of the bath or sink and play with water.

I am going to have to put a door on the kitchen so that I don't have to worry about him running onto the hobs when they are still hot - I tried putting pans of cold water on them but that just seemed to attract him towards the stove. There is no way of keeping him off something unless I am standing over him!

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's my take on cat permissions. They live in the house too. As long as they aren't destructive or in physical danger they can do whatever they want. I keep a bottle of "safe" spray. Made from vinegar mostly, to disinfect the kitchen counter. I keep it right on the counter near the paper towels. So, when they've been on the kitchen counter I spray it off after them.

When I am cooking I show them "danger" and try to let them see that the stove is hot by holding them tightly with a stiff body language to show them the fire. Then I put them down on the floor. They seem to understand something is bad up there. But I wouldn't take any chances so when I cook I keep an eye on them or put them in a room with the door closed.

I have a roommate and they aren't allowed in his rooms. But, he knows, they ARE allowed on everything else. When he was my roomie before he was taking to yelling at Pixel for being on the kitchen table. So, before we drew up the rental agreement this time I stipulated that this is Pixel's house too, and she is allowed in all areas and furnishings that aren't his. If he doesn't want to eat in the kitchen he doesn't have to. But he still does.

They're cats, they like to climb up on things. I need to make them their own climbing tree too but they will always be allowed on anything I own. I would never want to give up their company in the bathroom. In fact, I love it when the kittens, fascinated the whole time, are hopping around my big bath tub and on the sink...

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peeps

Since we adopted Frankie 2 months ago, we've been strict about not letting him on the kitchen counters (when we're there to see him
) and haven't let him up on the bathroom counter because we thought it would be sending him mixed messages to let him on one room's counter but not another. He's got a lot of kitty left in him and isn't one to sit still and be petted for very long. This morning, he hopped up on the bathroom counter and was licking the water faucet and was being so sweet, letting me pet him lots and purring so I let him stay up there and it was really fun having him not try to get away from me so quickly. I think this could be a good bonding thing for him to be able to sit up there every morning with me. What's your opinion on this? My DH is fine with whatever I decide on this.
Absolutely! How else would he be able to sleep in the sink?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout is allowed anywhere she wants. She never does anything annoying or unsafe..and she doesn't go on the counter when I'm cooking or anything..she only goes up there to hide from the vacuum...so thats okay.

Bathroom counter is the same..she can go there whenever she wants.