Do you leave your windows open for kits when your not home?

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't leave my windows open when I go out - partly beacuse of the cats and partly due to the crime level around here!

When I am home I will leave the landing window (with a screen) open and all other windows on vent! I do go out with the windows on vent though, as they can be locked in that position!

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I leave one window open - in my bedroom. It is located in a such a place that it is extremely unlikely an intruder could get in and Astrid has been really, really good about not clawing the screen -never once has she tried.

However, I hadn't considered another cat or animal on the outside and what might happen. When I am home I do leave the windows open for her and she loves to look out and sometimes run from room to room to follow the action outside.

I am really torn between her comfort/pleasure and the safety issue. I so hate to have her stay in an empty apartment all day with the air on, but I can't stand the idea of anything happening to her.

So far so good, but after reading this thread I am leaning more on the side of safety. I make sure the first thing I do when I get home (after giving her lovvies and scritches) is throw open the windows. I have been leaving the blinds up half way to she can see out but not open the window for her to get out. It makes it very warm in here on sunny days but like I said, I feel so guilty that she is in here all closed up.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our windows all open from both the top and the bottom, so all of them are open about a couple of inches. We don't have central air conditioning, so it'd be just too darned hot to leave them closed all the time, plus I hate the smell of stuffy enclosed air -- I fling the windows open in the winter time when I clean. I don't open the windows more than a couple of inches, though, because I've seen the way Spike flings himself at closed windows when he spots a squirrel on the ledge; he could definitely pop the screen out (or rip right through it) if he saw something he wanted outside.

As for crime in our area ... Well, it'd be easier just to smash the window in the door and then turn the lock, so whether or not the windows are open makes no difference to our safety. Everything in our apartment is insured; the cats are the only things I worry about, in the event of a break-in.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I put the window screens on in late April or early May the windows stay open until October!!!! No A/C in our house. We have casement windows so our screens are really pretty big! I have never had a cat pop out a screen. EVER!!
The only time the windows are shut is if it will rain inside the house or if we go away and its going to rain or go away for more than a day. I guess none of my cats have ever though about messing with the screens on the windows or doors.
Lucky I guess!!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH GOD!!
What kind of Meowmy am I???? I never ever even thought of screens popping out! Neighborhood crime is not an issue - very close watchful neighbors and a good street, so I leave almost every room open every day all day and have for 2 years!!! Now I'm freaking out.

I always have left completely open - Living room, Dining room, kitchen, and both bedrooms. I just can't stand stale houses
I love the fresh air and so do all my babies. With 5 windows open - there's a window for each of my kitties. In 2 years, they've never scratched at the screens or pushed on them - I do have to say that. Even when the birds are all outside or the squirrels - they sit and "chatter" to them through the window. I never thought of them popping a screen out. Although I do have to say - my old lady when she gets out hugs the foundations, so no worries about here, 2 of my others (peanut and snickers) are terrified of the outdoors, so no worries there. Pebbles and Chance though - that would be trouble. The love it outside! Now I'm scared!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

When I put the window screens on in late April or early May the windows stay open until October!!!! No A/C in our house. We have casement windows so our screens are really pretty big! I have never had a cat pop out a screen. EVER!!
The only time the windows are shut is if it will rain inside the house or if we go away and its going to rain or go away for more than a day. I guess none of my cats have ever though about messing with the screens on the windows or doors.
Lucky I guess!!
Phew! Now I feel a little better. You must have put this response up same time I was doing mine.
I'm with you - windows open all the time. Even when it rains. I only close if the rain is coming inside. I also have big screens. Full size of the entire window. Maybe we are ok? I'm still a bit nervous.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never open my windows more than tiny bit, and would never leave my boys unsupervised with them even like that, as they don't lock in position and I worry they could push them open further and get out.