Do you know which breed my kitten is?

ccmonkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meet Shadow. He's my gorgeous 6 month rescue baby. He's extremely lovable and always wants to be around me (so he came by his name). He's fur is shortish but extremely soft. As he's getting older he's developing more visible stripes. He's a silver/grey colour. No blue evident. I know he's not a pure breed but would love to find out where his root stem from. 

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh Shadow is a very beautiful cat :D

His color and pattern is a blue mackerel tabby. Blue is the word used in the cat fancy to describe grey colors.

His breed is domestic shorthair ;)

The vast majority of cats are domestic's and very few of them are mixes of pedigrees. Most of them don't have any pedigree ancestors at all, in fact very, very few have any pedigree breeds anywhere behind them.

You see the domestic (non pedigree ) cat population did not result from pedigree breeds being mixed together, like in the dog world. Actually it is quite the opposite. Domestic cats were here long before pedigree cat breeds existed - pedigree breeds of cat were created from the domestic cat population for a certain look or trait, not the other way around. :D

wallycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Domestic short hair, for sure!  Tabby for sure.  I love reading other posts and learning as I had never heard of a mackerel tabby.  Fascinating!

He is a beautiful boy and how lucky to have his forever home! 

Did you name him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ccmonkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Domestic short hair, for sure!  Tabby for sure.  I love reading other posts and learning as I had never heard of a mackerel tabby.  Fascinating!

He is a beautiful boy and how lucky to have his forever home! 

Did you name him?
I did name him, yes. He was a nameless wonder for about 3 weeks - nothing fit quite right. As he follows me everywhere - I'm never alone - I thought he's my shadow. And so he found his name :)

He found me, actually! He was wondering along with another kitty at our work compound - and just latched on. He's amazing. 

ccmonkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh Shadow is a very beautiful cat

His color and pattern is a blue mackerel tabby. Blue is the word used in the cat fancy to describe grey colors.

His breed is domestic shorthair

The vast majority of cats are domestic's and very few of them are mixes of pedigrees. Most of them don't have any pedigree ancestors at all, in fact very, very few have any pedigree breeds anywhere behind them.

You see the domestic (non pedigree ) cat population did not result from pedigree breeds being mixed together, like in the dog world. Actually it is quite the opposite. Domestic cats were here long before pedigree cat breeds existed - pedigree breeds of cat were created from the domestic cat population for a certain look or trait, not the other way around.
Thank you very much - I like "Blue Mackerel Tabby" :) He's the first kitty I've had of this colour and never seen it before, so it's good to know. 

He grows more beautiful by the day, and he had has 2nd vet check-up and all is going very well. Next week he will be neutered and we're well on our way to making sure he remains healthy.

Very interesting to know about the breeds - really thought it was the other way around.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would compare him with a Maine Coon.  Especially as he seems to be rather biggish?

Either he is one of the natural cousins, from which the Maine Coons ancestors were selected, - the most probable,

or even the other way around - a descendand from a purebred Maine Coon, where the MCO ancestor is not far back..

The pattern is Tabby and White.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ccmonkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And this is one of his favourite spots. Either in the shower with you or watching you in the shower!

ccmonkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I would compare him with a Maine Coon.  Especially as he seems to be rather biggish?

Either he is one of the natural cousins, from which the Maine Coons ancestors were selected, - the most probable,

or even the other way around - a descendand from a purebred Maine Coon, where the MCO ancestor is not far back..

The pattern is Tabby and White.

Good luck!
He is a pretty big boy - I'd say around 5/6kg - also bigger than our Jack Russell (it's a funny site). 

He looks similar in some ways to the Main Coon pictures I've found on the Internet but he's lacking the ear tuffs which is the main difference I can see. He's also not SUPER huge like some of them (thank heavens)! But it's nice that he looks a lot like royalty :)

Thanks for the input!