Do-you-know-what-"By-Products"-are?Where-do-you-think,euthanized-cats/dogs-end-up?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, that does it - I'm not feeding my cats any more, period.  Done.     :lol3:
Haha! Or yourself! Or you'll move to the middle of nowhere and raise all your own food. . .but genetically modified pollen will blow onto your crops and Monsanto will sue you :tongue2:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dave, I literally got to that point. :lol3: With Lazlo in chemotherapy, I opted to make their food, I really couldn't take it any more. Once you start pulling on that string... the unraveling really isn't pretty. Of course, there are the Weruva's of the world, that make their food in human grade facilities, not pet food grade facilities. Unfortunately, kibble is by definition pet grade.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes
No, "by-products" (like in canned food) cannot include 4D animals. Only rendered products e.g. any "meal" or any fat, can include 4D animals. Most kibble contains meal of some kind, which is a rendered product. Fats are by definition a rendered product, and animal digest is a rendered product.

So anything that isn't a specified protein, and is a rendered product, could conceivably include cats and dogs (though they most likely wind up in animal feed as opposed to pet food).
That has been my understanding as well Laurie. :nod:

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha! Or yourself! Or you'll move to the middle of nowhere and raise all your own food. . .but genetically modified pollen will blow onto your crops and Monsanto will sue you
Good one Willowy 

I already grow the majority of our veggies...

too bad I haven't been able to find a tree or shrub that grows Ribeye, Chuck, Turkey, Shrimp or Chicken!  

I just can't see myself raising animals then eating them... I get too attached.

Sad about Monsanto. Bad enough that they, ConAgra and Dow are trying to corner the market on our Food Supply,

but suing Farmers because your GM pollen blew into their field? Should be the other way around!  

aharris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the risk of making myself vastly unpopular, I will point out that cannibalism is quite common in the animal kingdom and not because the animals are starving to death.

We think of it as disgusting because it violates our sense of morality, but our pets don't necessarily share that morality.

I have more problem with the idea of too much grain meal in my cat and dog food then I do with the idea of meat by-products. Watch a nature documentary sometime and realize what those critters are eating. In fact, the meat by-products (the organ meats) are the first things to be torn out of a kill because they're the best parts packing the most nutrition. If the kill is stolen, the hunter wants to make sure he's got the most nutrient dense parts eaten first. We humans throw those bits out, but the animal predator wolfs them down as quick as possible. We like the idea of fresh food, but in the wild, the singular big cats will often drag a kill off and bury it and return to it over a period of time. Clearly, freshness isn't paramount. Neither wild canids nor big cats need to have fresh-killed game (depending on the species) although they clearly enjoy it, and our kitty buddies are small wild felines in many ways.

Now, I don't have any issues with those of you who feed your cats the freshest food possible, but I think we need to keep some perspective and understand that our dietary preferences are necessarily going to match those of our cats.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aharris - I think you might be missing the point.
We are not afraid of feeding by-products, au contraire many of us feed raw which includes heart, liver, kidneys and even tripe. The issue here is that meat meals and by-product meals can contain 4D and euthanized pets. We have no idea what the animal died from... cancer, rabies, parvo, mad cow, who knows? Any of the drugs used to put down the animal are included as well. Who know what that does to a cat's system. And the collars! Metal and nylon is certainly not nutritious....

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aharris - I think you might be missing the point.
We are not afraid of feeding by-products, au contraire many of us feed raw which includes heart, liver, kidneys and even tripe. The issue here is that meat meals and by-product meals can contain 4D and euthanized pets. We have no idea what the animal died from... cancer, rabies, parvo, mad cow, who knows? Any of the drugs used to put down the animal are included as well. Who know what that does to a cat's system. And the collars! Metal and nylon is certainly not nutritious....
:yeah: nail/head :nod: