Do You Knit Or Crochet? You Can Help Shelter Cats!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm knitting a small cat blanket for my local shelter, who is one of the Snuggles Project's participating shelters. Even though your shelter may be listed, I'd advise contacting first to see if they still want blankets. I'm using the leftovers from the veterans' scarves I knit. I use Bernat Blanket Yarn, which is the softest yarn I've ever felt. Cats would LOVE a blanket made from it! Use at least size 11 (U.S.) needles for this yarn.

https://www.snugglesproject.org/

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has gotten me interested in picking up my knitting needles again.
Any idea where I can find some simple patterns? I clicked on the link on the web site but it seems they require you to sign up for something to download.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I can't knit, crochet, or sew... I can make fleece no-sew knot blankets though! I'll contact my local shelter to see if those would be okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I can't knit, crochet, or sew... I can make fleece no-sew knot blankets though! I'll contact my local shelter to see if those would be okay.
Great idea!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This has gotten me interested in picking up my knitting needles again.
Any idea where I can find some simple patterns? I clicked on the link on the web site but it seems they require you to sign up for something to download.
I just cast in enough stitches to make a 14" square, and used garter stitch.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm knitting a small cat blanket for my local shelter, who is one of the Snuggles Project's participating shelters. Even though your shelter may be listed, I'd advise contacting first to see if they still want blankets. I'm using the leftovers from the veterans' scarves I knit. I use Bernat Blanket Yarn, which is the softest yarn I've ever felt. Cats would LOVE a blanket made from it! Use at least size 11 (U.S.) needles for this yarn.

https://www.snugglesproject.org/
Great project! I'd love to see a photo of the blanket that you're knitting!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've contacted my shelter to see if they accept the blankets. They are on the list, but I have some reservations about cats and yarn.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually made sleeping mats for my kitties using an old time method. Rag rugs. I get old bed sheets, not the fitted kind and rip them into long two-inch strips then take three of those strips and braid it until I get a rope or thick yarn if you well, keep on adding strips to the original length until its as large as I want it to be then roll it into a mat, just going around in a circle and sew it together with a large needle and floss. I find they wash well and outlast any store bought pet mat.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Won't the kitties' claws get stuck in the blanket though? I can knit but I don't want my work being wrecked on the very first day become some kitty got stuck and pulled everything apart. That would defeat the purpose.

I've considered knitting for my cats before since they live outside but the reason above is why I haven't.

Just something to consider. I might tru this for fun though.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't worry about my work getting wrecked, I worry about the kitties trying to eat the yarn.
Yeah, that too. Plus if they wreck it, they don't get to use it. I've just started knitting for my own cats to line their cat-house, it will probably take a week.