Do You Have Direct Tv, Comcast, Hbo?

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really depends on what you're looking for. I still have Comcast because 1) I live on the wrong side of the apartment building to receive a DirecTV or Dish signal and 2) neither Direct or Dish show local sports in HD. If I had a satellite service I would have to pay extra for the sports package just to get NESN and FSN. That's when it stops being a bargain, at least for me. I don't watch a lot of movies so having more movie channels in HD isn't worth the money. Comcast has been having signal quality issues due to compression to fit more digital and HD channels in the system, but I've heard the same thing about satellite.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail, I have directv, it's the only one I can get where I am.
It's expensive, they charge you for everything, and you have to really pay attention to your bill. For the 1st 4 months I had problems on my bill. It took them 3-4 trips to get it hooked up at all, then in my 4th month (after the 90day warranty expired) I couldn't get any satellite.....it kept saying "searching" so I spent an hour on the phone with them, to find out, it needed to be moved, foliage had grown in and I couldn't get satellite through the trees....
They wanted to charge me to come out cause I was "out of warranty" I flipped my lid on them! It was not my fault their idiot people put it in a bad spot on my roof!!! So if you go with them, watch you bill each month, and stick to your guns....

I only ever have a problem getting a signal if it's heavy rain/snow. But, I can watch all my tivo shows cause they're previously recorded. I would highly recommend tivo. It's the best thing ever!

Also, I hear good things about dishnetwork, but they couldn't install at my house, I have fairmount park trees in my back yard & on the side of my house.....it's hard to get service.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Directv for the last 8 years and I will never switch again I had it on the ground roff and the side of a trailer and it still worked great. OOO I even had it on a pole which was the best.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in customer service for DirecTv, and we are having a small rate hike of 3 dollars for everyone. There are a lot of new policy changes recently, but they seem to be working out fine for the customers that actually pay their bills. The only ones squawking about them are the ones that are constantly behind. If your service is cut off for non payment, it used to be that you could pay the past due amount and it would be turned back on. Now you have to pay the entire billed amount. If you don't have a history of non payment, everyone has trouble paying some times, you can usually speak to a supervisor and get it back as a one time courtesy.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I will never go to Direct TV though. We have it at work and I hate navigating the menu, having to wade through pages of pay channels, and the fact that they have the uber basic package that doesn't get even half the cable channels you'd normally get like lifetime, comedy central, tbs etc..
on mine, there's a place you can go to customize the channel/menu display to show only those channels you want it to. there are actually 4 channel lists you can customize. i have my main one, one for movies when there's a free movie weekend, one for music channels, & one that shows everything.
because i don't have good reception for local channels, have have the total choice xtra package. price is currently about $52 per month.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

We don't get too bad of storms during the summer here, but sometimes the snow will get packed on the dish and block the signal. It's usually not bad, though, and if we had our druthers (we live in a townhome, so the HOA decides where we can have it), we'd have it low enough to just wipe off when it snows hard.
Thought that this might interest you..
A friend of mine told me that she sprayed her dish with cooking spray and the snow slid right off. I don't think that I would spray that middle thing though.