Do you have canned pumpkin in your grocery?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick and I did a bit of grocery shopping last night. I was looking for Libby's canned pumpkin. There's not a can to be had around here. Went to two stores and nothing. And I have no pumpkin in the freezer either; I used it all last fall and didn't bother to do more.

Our fresh pumpkin prices increased by 75% because of the flooding in September. But I guess if I want pumpkin, I'm going to have to buy some neck pumpkins and bake them down. I could probably use butternut squash, too, really.

I really wanted to make pumpkin bars last night to bring into work today....no pumpkin. Darn it.

Do you have cans of pumpkin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
No, not close to us. We are going to CT at the end of the month to visit with a GF and to pick apples and we'll hit TJs then. Hopefully, they'll still have some pumpkin.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure you asked for it, but I found out that it is not with the pie fillings and baking ingredients in our stores. It is with the canned vegetables.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My aunt was looking for it this last week and most of the major grocery stores are out. She did find it at Whole Foods and Walmart.

trishafer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've found canned pumpkin at Walmart and Harris Teeter by the cases. But I'm in NC

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered a case last year on Amazon for $12. Now it's $35 with $15 for shipping.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We keep stocked up on pumpkin for the cats. I couldn't find it anywhere, so had to pay $1.85 a can at the local health food store.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I just got back....a GF and I took some of our lunch break to visit a Mennonite farm. I got five nice long-necked pumpkins for $6.00. That's not too bad overall. I'll have to bake them down tonight and then I can roast the seeds.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm traveling right now, but I'll try to remember your post when I get back. I typically pick up a couple of cans in late October or early November, because I don't want to get caught without pumpkin right before Thanksgiving. It sounds as if I may want to start looking early this year!

I did just read that the cranberry crop will be good this year. Last year I couldn't find any fresh cranberries anywhere, and it made me crazy!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily I stocked up since it has such a long shelf life. Shame about the loss of crops.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several cans of it right now. I cook with it pretty often, so I always try to keep it on hand.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

I did just read that the cranberry crop will be good this year. Last year I couldn't find any fresh cranberries anywhere, and it made me crazy!
I thought cranberries were on the expensive side last year at 2 bags for $5. But I bought 4 bags, simply because I use them so often.

Am baking down three pumpkins in my large roaster as I type. I'll do the other two tomorrow night.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yes, for cats that might have constipation problems and need the extra fiber. The trick is getting them to eat it. Some cats will....my Banshee ate it with no trouble.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MeuzettesMom

Does that really work, cats eating pumpkin for consumption?
Just a little, as its not really nutritious. About a teaspoon worth for a can of cat food mixed in just acts as a natural fiber matrix, so is a popular home remedy for cats with loose stools as well and can be combined w/ probiotics.

I can't wait to make some pie though. Pumpkin pie is my second favorite, after keylime.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to let everyone know if you want pumpkin you better buy all you can when you see it.
We make pumpkin bread everyday for Oct & Nov and pumpkin bars and scones. Today we were informed by our franchise office that canned pumpkin will be in very short supply. So will will be increasing our order by a significant amount.

We also found out that the peanut crop is terrible this year and the price of peanuts/any products with peanuts will be going up quite a bit.