Do you have a food processor? Do you use it?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been wondering if a food processor would be a good investment or a waste of money. I make a lot of soups and chilis, so cut up lots of veggies. Also a lot of my recipes call for mashed beans, and end up doing it the hard and slow way using a fork.  Still I've heard the clean up of food processors is a pain. So I'm not sure whether to get one or not.

Do you have one?  If so, do you use it?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one. I totally forgot I had it until last summer. Got it so many years ago and never used it so it wound up in a upper shelf of a cabinet.

Then last summer I remembered.  Put it together and couldn't figure out how to use it at all. Looked up a Youtube video. Got it working and made fantastic pesto from scratch.

A month of so ago I went to use it again and just could not get it to start for the life of me. Got disgusted and that was that.

I don't know if it was the age of it and from not being used for so many years or, just not a great one (although it's a Cuisenart so one would think it would be pretty darn good!).

Anyway, still debating about getting a new one but I'll do research first.  Last was a gift.  I really found it difficult to put all the parts together to get it to run and there has to be easier ones.  I did enjoy the one time I used it last summer.  You really can't make pesto by hand without a LOT of hard work!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

I have one. I totally forgot I had it until last summer. Got it so many years ago and never used it so it wound up in a upper shelf of a cabinet.

Then last summer I remembered.  Put it together and couldn't figure out how to use it at all. Looked up a Youtube video. Got it working and made fantastic pesto from scratch.

A month of so ago I went to use it again and just could not get it to start for the life of me. Got disgusted and that was that.

I don't know if it was the age of it and from not being used for so many years or, just not a great one (although it's a Cuisenart so one would think it would be pretty darn good!).

Anyway, still debating about getting a new one but I'll do research first.  Last was a gift.  I really found it difficult to put all the parts together to get it to run and there has to be easier ones.  I did enjoy the one time I used it last summer.  You really can't make pesto by hand without a LOT of hard work!
syvyaleah,

I have a Cuisinart and have the same issue with it. There is a locking mechanism which has to be aligned perfectly or else it will not run. It is very tricky.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

syvyaleah,

I have a Cuisinart and have the same issue with it. There is a locking mechanism which has to be aligned perfectly or else it will not run. It is very tricky.
Mine does that too. It's a Farberware. The first time I used it, it took me forever to figure that out. It probably wouldn't have if I had read the manual but who wants to do that?? 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I went for many years without a food processor, doing things the old way...

When I finally got one, I did get a fair amount of use from it. 

I was only cooking week-ends and a large recipe so it came in handy.

The clean up was not bad..mostly just rinsing under the faucet and then in the dishwasher..or just washing by hand..

It was the putting together that was my nemesis...The model I had was a pain to get together perfectly. 

Onions really bother me. I finally got into the habit of using the food processor, even the mini Black and Decker one, for chopping onions...saved my tears...

and my fingers from cuts...

and for pureeing tomatoes--great...I use whole plum tomatoes in my sauce. A quick puree makes it nice and smooth--even for homemade tomato soup.

I know there are tons of things you can use it for. It depends on how much you cook and how large a recipe you make...

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

syvyaleah,

Tricky is an understatement!  Especially when one has repetitive stress arm/hand problems.  I just could not get it to lock on.  Spend over a half hour on it and gave up.  Took out my chef's knife and chopped by hand :p

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love mine and use it a lot. I use it for onions, garlic, mashing fritters, carrots for carrot soup, making hummus and dips, veggie burgers, salsa, brocolli for broccoli soup and fritters, and so much more. I use it almost daily..much quicker than dicing up veggies by hand and great for a nice smooth base. Instead od getting out the knife, cutting board, and bowl, I often toss it all in the processor and then right into the pan Im cooking the dish in. Easy cleanup and makes dinner easier.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tricky is an understatement!  Especially when one has repetitive stress arm/hand problems.  I just could not get it to lock on.  Spend over a half hour on it and gave up.  Took out my chef's knife and chopped by hand :p
Mine couldnt be any easier. Just pop on the lid and its ready. Usually just rinse it out. Its lasted me for years too with nearly daily use. Makes cooking a very healthy dinner so convenient and fast and easy to clean up.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine couldnt be any easier. Just pop on the lid and its ready. Usually just rinse it out. Its lasted me for years too with nearly daily use. Makes cooking a very healthy dinner so convenient and fast and easy to clean up.
Which brand do you have?  

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, yes, yes. I have a Kitchen Aid 11-cup. It has been a life saver. Sliced potatoes, sliced carrots. Shredded zucchini for the freezer and for my zucchini relish that is canned. Shredded cabbage for cole slaw. I've used it to make pie dough. 

If I have a recipe for a soup (like a bean soup) that I need to thicken, I will often pour a portion of the soup into the food processor to puree, then add it back into the soup to thicken that way.

Clean up is not a pain. A lot of rinsing under the faucet with a quick wipe, depending on what I've chopped. My pieces will go into the dishwasher, too, and I have cleaned them that way.

I use my food processor all the time.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Krups that my ex fiance got me years ago. It has either the food processor, or a blender you can put on the base. I don't use mine a lot, but enough to know it's nice to have one for when you need it.  I have used mine mostly for things like an artichoke dip I make, as well as a white bean & rosemary hummus. I used it at Thanksgiving to make the mini pumpkin cheesecake cupcakes I found on Pinterest. 

I don't do a lot of  "cooking, cooking" anymore, since it's just me. (I'll usually just pan sear or bake some chicken or fish, & make some veggies to go w/). 

I mostly use the blender in the summer for smoothies! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, folks.  Except for the locking mechanism issue, sounds like they are easy to use.  I like the idea of the food processor/blender combo, as my blender is ancient and sometimes gets that overworked smell when I use it.  And I definitely want to try making hummus.

Guess I'll start reading reviews on Amazon for food processors now that I've almost decided which slow cooker to get.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I think the locking mechanism issue is because food processors are so darned dangerous around little ones. So everything has to be "just so" in order for the thing to work. It is frustrating (esp when there are no little ones in the house), but I understand why they're like that. I know it took me a while to get the hang of our food processor, too. But once you get used to it, you should be fine. Good luck with whichever one you buy!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I use my fairly often to chop, make hummus, pesto, puree, etc.

I have this one It does the trick -

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a Kitchenaid food processor and I love it. It has a lot more power than other processors I've used. I use it to chop ingredients quickly, like nuts or graham crackers for pie crust. I can also make smoothies in it, without having to get my big blender out. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have one and don't use it. I found it too much trouble to clean just to chop a few veggies. I have a submersible blender that works great to smooth soups. My DIL uses her food processor to make pie crust, but that homogenizes the flour and butter, resulting in pie crust that's like cardboard. To get flaky crust, you need little pellets of butter or Crisco covered in flour. A fork does the job very well.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I apologize for posting so often in this thread....I can't edit my posts after a certain amount of time or I would just edit instead of posting so often.

Do NOT even try to grate a large amount of a really hard cheese in your food processor. I broke two food processors, trying to do that. I tried to grate Parmigiano Reggiano in two different food processors and broke the lid of both of them. A really really hard cheese does not grate that well in a food processor. I had a pretty large chunk in there, too, which didn't help.

Just an FYI.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I apologize for posting so often in this thread....I can't edit my posts after a certain amount of time or I would just edit instead of posting so often.

Do NOT even try to grate a large amount of a really hard cheese in your food processor. I broke two food processors, trying to do that. I tried to grate Parmigiano Reggiano in two different food processors and broke the lid of both of them. A really really hard cheese does not grate that well in a food processor. I had a pretty large chunk in there, too, which didn't help.

Just an FYI.
I haven't broken a lid doing that, but I have burned out a motor. :nod: